Who has Aspergers Syndrome?

Ajackson17
Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
Asperger's Syndrome - Symptoms
Although there are many possible symptoms of Asperger?s syndrome, the main symptom is significant trouble with social situations. Your child may have mild to severe symptoms or have a few or many of these symptoms. Because of the wide variety of symptoms, no two children with Asperger's are alike.

Symptoms during childhood

Recommended Related to AutismHelping Your Child With Autism Get a Good Night's Sleep

During the first few months of life, babies ease into a normal cycle of sleep and wakefulness. They gradually reduce the number of daytime naps they need and start sleeping for longer periods of time at night. But some children continue to have difficulty falling asleep or sleeping through the night, and the problem can persist long after children start school. Sleep disorders may be even more common in children with autism. Researchers estimate that between 40% and 80% of children with autism have...

Read the Helping Your Child With Autism Get a Good Night's Sleep article > >

Parents often first notice the symptoms of Asperger's syndrome when their child starts preschool and begins to interact with other children. Children with Asperger's syndrome may:

Not pick up on social cues and may lack inborn social skills, such as being able to read others' body language, start or maintain a conversation, and take turns talking.
Dislike any changes in routines.
Appear to lack empathy.
Be unable to recognize subtle differences in speech tone, pitch, and accent that alter the meaning of others? speech. So your child may not understand a joke or may take a sarcastic comment literally. And his or her speech may be flat and hard to understand because it lacks tone, pitch, and accent.
Have a formal style of speaking that is advanced for his or her age. For example, the child may use the word "beckon" instead of "call" or the word "return" instead of "come back."
Avoid eye contact or stare at others.
Have unusual ? expressions or postures.
Be preoccupied with only one or few interests, which he or she may be very knowledgeable about. Many children with Asperger's syndrome are overly interested in parts of a whole or in unusual activities, such as designing houses, drawing highly detailed scenes, or studying astronomy. They may show an unusual interest in certain topics such as snakes, names of stars, or dinosaurs.
Talk a lot, usually about a favorite subject. One-sided conversations are common. Internal thoughts are often verbalized.
Have delayed motor development. Your child may be late in learning to use a fork or spoon, ride a bike, or catch a ball. He or she may have an awkward walk. Handwriting is often poor.
Have heightened sensitivity and become overstimulated by loud noises, lights, or strong tastes or textures. For more information about these symptoms, see sensory processing disorder.
A child with one or two of these symptoms does not necessarily have Asperger?s syndrome. To be diagnosed with Asperger?s syndrome, a child must have a combination of these symptoms and significant trouble with social situations.

Although the condition is in some ways similar to autism, a child with Asperger's syndrome typically has normal language and intellectual development. Also, those with Asperger's syndrome typically make more of an effort than those with autism to make friends and engage in activities with others.

Symptoms during adolescent and teen years

Most symptoms persist through the teen years. And although teens with Asperger's can begin to learn those social skills they lack, communication often remains difficult. They will probably continue to have difficulty "reading" others' behavior.

Further Reading:High Functioning Autism and Aspergers: Technical SmartsAsperger's Syndrome: Secret to SuccessRaising a Child With Asperger’s SyndromeAsperger Syndrome and AutismAutism Spectrum DisordersWhat is Asperger's Syndrome?High-Functioning Autism and Asperger's SyndromeSee All Asperger's Syndrome Topics

Your teen with Asperger's syndrome (like other teens) will want friends but may feel shy or intimidated when approaching other teens. He or she may feel "different" from others. Although most teens place emphasis on being and looking "cool," teens with Asperger's may find it frustrating and emotionally draining to try to fit in. They may be immature for their age and be naive and too trusting, which can lead to teasing and bullying.

All of these difficulties can cause teens with Asperger's to become withdrawn and socially isolated and to have depression or anxiety.1

But some teens with Asperger's syndrome are able to make and keep a few close friends through the school years. Some of the classic Asperger's traits may also work to the benefit of your teen. Teens with Asperger's are typically uninterested in following social norms, fads, or conventional thinking, allowing creative thinking and the pursuit of original interests and goals. Their preference for rules and honesty may lead them to excel in the classroom and as citizens.

Symptoms in adulthood

Asperger's syndrome is a lifelong condition, although it tends to stabilize over time, and improvements are often seen. Adults usually have a better understanding of their own strengths and weaknesses. They are able to learn social skills, including how to read others' social cues. Many people with Asperger's syndrome marry and have children.

Some traits that are typical of Asperger's syndrome, such as attention to detail and focused interests, can increase chances of university and career success. Many people with Asperger's seem to be fascinated with technology, and a common career choice is engineering. But scientific careers are by no means the only areas where people with Asperger's excel. Indeed, many respected historical figures have had symptoms of Asperger's, including Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Albert Einstein, Marie Curie, and Thomas Jefferson.

Other conditions

Many children with Asperger's syndrome also have coexisting conditions and may have symptoms of these conditions also. They include:

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Anxiety disorder.
Depression, especially in adolescents.
Nonverbal learning disorder.
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).
Social anxiety disorder.
Further Reading:High Functioning Autism and Aspergers: Technical SmartsAsperger's Syndrome: Secret to SuccessRaising a Child With Asperger’s SyndromeAsperger Syndrome and AutismAutism Spectrum DisordersWhat is Asperger's Syndrome?High-Functioning Autism and Asperger's SyndromeSee All Asperger's Syndrome Topics

Who also has Aspergers with me?

Comments

• Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol ur a ? ... lol.
  • Ajackson17
    Read the information, common career for those with aspergers is engineer fool and also I read that college professor is one that many belong it, we usually have high iqs but low emotional intelligence.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    College teachers are ? ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ajackson17
    Theodis wrote: »
    any of you ? say my name i swear i will hunt you down and teach you how to widdle doll furniture out of a small piece of wood.

No, but you have PTSD. Admit it.
  • Aristo_V300
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Read the information, common career for those with aspergers is engineer fool and also I read that college professor is one that many belong it, we usually have high iqs but low emotional intelligence.

Functioning ? = ? ...
  • Ajackson17
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    College teachers are ? ?

Dude..... [-X
  • Ajackson17
    Q45T wrote: »

Functioning ? = ? ...

These guys are ? ? Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Albert Einstein, Marie Curie, and Thomas Jefferson???
    They done more than you have and you don't nearly have the brain that they have. It takes them time to pick up on social cues due to a late developing anterior insular cortex which is where empathy is in part of the brain. ? read a ? book.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    conflict, bankrupt baller, jomer, ajackson, basquiat redux, riddlerap, covet, shadyteam, gee757

sorry if i left anyone out.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought is was spelled like "Assbugers"
  • Ajackson17
    conflict, bankrupt baller, jomer, ajackson, basquiat redux, riddlerap, covet, shadyteam, gee757

Don't put conflict in here, possibly riddlerap and covet, shadyteam no, gee757 is a no too. They are usually into science and technology and academic studies.
  • Ajackson17
    twatgetta wrote: »
    I always thought is was spelled like "Assbugers"

You got that from south park.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Aristo_V300

Functioning ? = ? ...

These guys are ? ? Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Albert Einstein, Marie Curie, and Thomas Jefferson???
    They done more than you have and you don't nearly have the brain that they have. It takes them time to pick up on social cues due to a late developing anterior insular cortex which is where empathy is in part of the brain. ? read a ? book.

lol... all white people.
  • Ajackson17
    1of1 wrote: »
    @Boldchild

It's cool though

Now, that's probably a real choice, if you read the criteria, but you have to be real with yourself. I always used big words as a child and children throught I was trying to be smart or something, but realized that's who I was. Always in technology and delighted to see new investments and changes in our technological world.

• Ajackson17

Functioning ? = ? ...

lol... all white people.

Let me find some notable blacks.
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Although there are many possible symptoms of Asperger?s syndrome, the main symptom is significant trouble with social situations. Your child may have mild to severe symptoms or have a few or many of these symptoms. Because of the wide variety of symptoms, no two children with Asperger's are alike."

honestly.... this just sounds like a reason to medicate your kid...
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as some might want to characterize Aspergers as a chic mental disorder that a lot of us secretly have and is a convenient explanation of all our social flaws and neuroses (like whats happened to these sociopath disorders).......

Don't none of you ? have that ? . One of my employees has it and trust me, you ? know and its blatantly obvious to everyone. Your friendly and social enough just to get by, but alot of other aspects of basic social interaction are absolutely lost to Aspergers people (like hygiene, posture, informal language, implied meaning and direction, for example).
  • SneakDZA

Don't put conflict in here, possibly riddlerap and covet, shadyteam no, gee757 is a no too. They are usually into science and technology and academic studies.

oh i was thinking more in terms of a general spaz.
  • Ajackson17
    edited July 2013
    Think more of Thomas Jefferson and Einstein, then you have it. They usually think they are ? as a child and suddenly they are ? profound as the older they are. I'm diagnoised with it.
  • SneakDZA
    Think more of Thomas Jefferson and Einstein, then you have it. They usually think they are ? as a child and suddenly they are ? profound as the older they are. I'm diagnoised with it.

you must be a late bloomer.
  • Ajackson17

you must be a late bloomer.

I started understanding social settings yesterday bruh.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    As much as some might want to characterize Aspergers as a chic mental disorder that a lot of us secretly have and is a convenient explanation of all our social flaws and neuroses (like whats happened to these sociopath disorders).......

Don't none of you ? have that ? . One of my employees has it and trust me, you ? know and its blatantly obvious to everyone. Your friendly and social enough just to get by, but alot of other aspects of basic social interaction are absolutely lost to Aspergers people (like hygiene, posture, informal language, implied meaning and direction, for example).

We had a client who had it . Even though some folks may seem socially awkward on here ....no way is it aspergers.