Fair or Foul? Freshman starts informal ‘White Student Union’ at Georgia State

Options
Stew
Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
Fall semester won’t start for several weeks, but Georgia State University has already received a handful of complaints about a new student club — the White Student Union.

Freshman Patrick Sharp said he started the club to serve as place where students of European and Euro-American descent can celebrate their shared history and culture and discuss issues that affect white people, such as immigration and affirmative action.

The club is not an official student group recognized by the university. Sharp said any student can join and that he would work with other clubs, such as the Black Student Alliance, on common issues.

Georgia State is highly diverse, with whites comprising 38 percent of the student body, followed by blacks at 35 percent, Asians at 12 percent and Latinos at 7 percent.

“If we are already minorities on campus and are soon to be minorities in this country why wouldn’t we have the right to advocate for ourselves and have a club just like every other minority?” said Sharp, 18, who is from Birmingham, Ala. “Why is it when a white person say he is proud to be white he’s shunned as a racist?”

Six students complained to the university after seeing Sharp’s fliers around campus, said Doug Covey, vice president for student affairs. He said he responded to each by explaining he group is within its right to exist and that speech is protected even if offensive to someone.

Covey said Georgia State prides itself on diversity. “Many students choose to come to Georgia State over other colleges because of our diversity. We are proud to have a richly diverse environment that looks like the world in which our students will live and work and lead.”

Georgia State has more than 300 university recognized student clubs. These groups can reserve meeting space on campus and are eligible for financial support from activities fees.

Even without official status, the White Student Union can exist and meet in common areas on the downtown Atlanta campus, Covey said.

Sharp said he doubts he will seek official status. The group would need a faculty or staff advisor and Sharp, who is taking summer classes, doubts he’d find one. He said a handful of students have joined so far.

He said he expects critics to call him and the group racist.

“I’ve already heard some of that and I don’t care what they have to say,” Sharp said.

Sharp said he was inspired to start the union after viewing videos and interviews with Matthew Heimbach, who started a White Student Union at Towson University in Maryland.

The Southern Poverty Law Center has designated the Maryland club as a “hate group” and two of its members recently advocated for racial segregation at a Conservative Political Action Conference.

Sharp wasn’t concerned about these incidents.

“All we want to do is celebrate white identity,” he said. “This is about being in touch with who you are as a white person and being proud of that.”

Comments

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Foul because he's white.

Honestly couldn't care less though. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it the group turned out to be some type of white supremacist wanna be ? on the low eventually.

It seems like that's the way the "white pride" ? eventually plays out.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who cares? Let those crackers cook. Black people stay lettin white people push em off their square.

GSU campus is for people too stupid to get into GTech anyway.

Yep, cause everybody knows GTech is the best place to get a liberal arts degree
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fair

I see nothing wrong with him and his elf celebrating their heritage, if they are truly able to trace it back to Europe

Something tells me however that there is a strong chance he's got American ? and Native American blood in him also
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fair, we had African student association, Black student union, Caribbean student union etc etc. Let the craccas cook
  • lord_infamous
    lord_infamous Members Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They're either trolling the ? outta minorities, or sincere. Either way, let them do them, there are alot of racial battles left to fight and this def ain't one of them
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Foul

Whites who complain about non white groups don't understand white privilege and institutionalized racism and the need for minority groups to form Thiers ....they just look and see what blacks and Latinos are doing and think they are somehow being wronged

And groups that identify themselves as a white group are usually ( if not always ) are formed for the purposes of hate or oppression in the form of terrorism, intimidation or bigoted laws and rules
  • Igot5onit
    Igot5onit Members Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with this.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    foul. its discriminatory and it really goes against what is allowed under the governing body at the school.

nvm.

fair.
    GSUCSU@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

Chinese Student Union @ Georgia State University Email List

This email list is for Chinese students to communicate.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    The solution to improving race relations is more racial groups. Especially white ones, given their track . GOAT Idea
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    can't call it.

idealistically, i don't have any issue with anybody being proud of who they are, being pro<INSERT_RACE_HERE>, or having groups dedicated to it, but the problems come in when you become anti<INSERT_RACE_HERE>.
    if you're black be proud to be black, if you're white, be proud of that, if you're hispanic, asian, etc, be proud of that.

in reality though most people just can't be contained to themselves and are proned to the need to compare who else has what, what they're doing, i want to be better than them, i think they're ? me over. then jealousy and hate creeps in and you have anti-<RACE> sentiments and actions.
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Foul

Whites who complain about non white groups don't understand white privilege and institutionalized racism and the need for minority groups to form Thiers ....they just look and see what blacks and Latinos are doing and think they are somehow being wronged

And groups that identify themselves as a white group are usually ( if not always ) are formed for the purposes of hate or oppression in the form of terrorism, intimidation or bigoted laws and rules

BINGO

? outta here with all that "we are a minority" bull that they use as a cop out.

• BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People should ignore that ? . I have a feeling it's an attempt to get people to move to stop it, so the white people can say they really are being persecuted.

They always claim that "Blacks can have a black blah blah blah, but if Whites did it, it would be racist." Let them have their ? , and when it turns out to be the racist cauldron we all know it will be come, then everybody else can just say "See, whenever you guys group up like that, you're always on some racist ? ."

lol at Whites being the largest racial group at the University but still proclaiming themselves minorities as if nonwhites view themselves as one big race.

exactly that logic is complete fallacy breh.

• Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it though...if minorities really are mad then the best thing they can do is join the club...he can't deny them entry into it based off race so minus well wreck the party b.

Minus well
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know what else white people need? White entertainment television. Not enough white people on tv. They also need subsidies for college and the workforce because of the oppressive whites not letting them in. They are also subjected to the worst schools with no funding and are underrepresented on college campuses and prestigious jobs. White people need an Al Sharpton because their opinions on race relations and other issues are underrepresented.

Immigration and affirmative action are the issues they want to discuss. This is the only group designed to malign other groups of people.

Of course it is, but white people always want to pump this idea that it's not about racism, it's about racial pride. So I say give them the rope and let them hang themselves.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    troll level 5,000
  • SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Foul, 1 these crackers should be dead, 2 if they ain't dead they shouldn't be polluting schools, 3 they have very little culture of their own of which they didn't steal from Black people or others 'cause they damn sure ain't very original.

In sum, ? that ? and his group.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol they got one @ towson university as well....

rofl
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But y'all have: Mrs. BLACK America, BLACK colleges, BLACK Congressional Caucus & don't for get B.E.T.!

I can't tell you how many saltines I heard saying that ? . That's the kind of people that's going to be in this group.

? 'em all.
  • can'tyoutell
    can'tyoutell Members Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    brown321 wrote: »
    But y'all have: Mrs. BLACK America, BLACK colleges, BLACK Congressional Caucus & don't for get B.E.T.!

I can't tell you how many saltines I heard saying that ? . That's the kind of people that's going to be in this group.

? 'em all.

I think these things are a constant reminder of the oppression black people faced, and it bothers them for some reason.
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Du_Du wrote: »
    lol they got one @ towson university as well....

rofl

Hey hey now Mister Du, watch it.