The official Gun/Firearm discussion/appreciation thread

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    What's the firearms threads opinion on a 10mm? I'm asking mostly as a hunting round and for bear/hog protection.
    don't really know much about handgun hunting, TBH. i hear it talked up as a bear country round all the time, though.

hog i thought was doable with a lighter semi-auto rifle? i don't know for sure, though.
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wnm2i6biqa07.jpg

Aight on top is my ar-15 nothing special just a quad rail and red dot sight.

The bottom is my ar-10 this is the one I put a little bit of money into. 2 stage trigger 1.5 lb trigger pull, free float barrel, Leopold scope. I had a nickel boron bolt carrier but by it being a smith & wesson it was hard to find one that would match up with it. So had to keep it stock
  • janklow
    Options
    very nice!

ironically had a friend asking me about the pros and cons of the nickel boron BCG after he saw the last rifle i got had one. i have no doubt the AR-10 runs nicely without one, though
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    very nice!

ironically had a friend asking me about the pros and cons of the nickel boron BCG after he saw the last rifle i got had one. i have no doubt the AR-10 runs nicely without one, though

The only con was that with the m&p 10 it's proprietary parts like that bolt carrier I started to send the oem bolt carrier to get it coated but I'll just keep it like it is
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thinking about building an AR. Man this ? is way over my head. ? it I’ll figure it out.
  • janklow
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Thinking about building an AR. Man this ? is way over my head. ? it I’ll figure it out.
    an AK might be over your head. an AR's not, if only because you actually know ? about guns.
    but do it the basic way: buy a stripped lower, build THAT out, and then buy a complete upper. that ? is as simple as it gets; this is also why starting with an 80% lower isn't a huge bar for other guys.

i'll level with you: i am Too ? Lazy to build an upper myself, but unless you're all thumbs, it's definitely doable. that said, the last ARs i built were SBRs and i definitely didn't build those uppers.