Boom, Bye, Bye, Inna Batty Bwoy Head, Along with Being Beaten, Stabbed and Run Over By a Car

Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica (AP) http://news.yahoo.com/jamaica-transgender-teen-murdered-mob-070446416.html

— Dwayne Jones was relentlessly teased in high school for being effeminate until he dropped out. His father not only kicked him out of the house at the age of 14 but also helped jeering neighbors push the youngster from the rough Jamaican slum where he grew up.

By age 16, the teenager was dead — beaten, stabbed, shot and run over by a car when he showed up at a street party dressed as a woman. His mistake: confiding to a friend that he was attending a "straight" party as a girl for the first time in his life.

"When I saw Dwayne's body, I started shaking and crying," said Khloe, one of three transgender friends who shared a derelict house with the teenager in the hills above the north coast city of Montego Bay. Like many transgender and ? people in Jamaica, Khloe wouldn't give a full name out of fear.

"It was horrible. It was so, so painful to see him like that."

International advocacy groups often portray this Caribbean island as the most hostile country in the Western Hemisphere for ? and transgender people. After two prominent ? rights activists were murdered, a researcher with the U.S.-based Human Rights Watch in 2006 called the environment in Jamaica for such groups "the worst any of us has ever seen."

View gallery."This undated photo provided by Dwayne Jones' friend …
This undated photo provided by Dwayne Jones' friend Jay via the Jamaica Forum for Lesbians All-Sexua …
Local activists have since disputed that label, but still say homophobia is pervasive. Dwayne's horrific July 22 murder has made headlines in newspapers on the island and stirred calls in some quarters for doing more to protect Jamaica's ? community, especially those who live on the streets and resort to sex work.

Advocates say much of the homophobia is fueled by a nearly 150-year-old anti-? law that bans ? sex as well as by dancehall reggae performers who flaunt anti-? themes. The island's main ? rights group estimated that two homosexual men were killed for their sexual orientation last year, and 36 were the victims of mob violence.

For years, Jamaica's ? community has lived so far underground that their parties and church services were held in secret locations. Many ? have stuck to a "don't ask, don't tell" policy of keeping their sexual orientation hidden to avoid scrutiny or protect loved ones.

"Judging by comments made on social media, most Jamaicans think Dwayne Jones brought his death on himself for wearing a dress and dancing in a society that has made it abundantly clear that homosexuals are neither to be seen nor heard," said Annie Paul, a blogger and publications officer at Jamaica's campus of the University of the West Indies.

Some say the hostility partly stems from the legacy of slavery when black men were sometimes sodomized as punishment or humiliation. Some historians believe that practice carried over into a general dread of homosexuality.

But in recent years, emboldened young people such as Dwayne have helped bring the island's ? and transgender community out of the shadows. A small group of ? runaways now rowdily congregates on the streets of Kingston's financial district.

Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller's government has also vowed to put the anti-? law to a "conscience vote" in Parliament, and she said during her 2011 campaign that only merit would decide who got a Cabinet position in her government. By contrast, former Prime Minister Bruce Golding said in 2008 that he would never allow homosexuals in his Cabinet.

Dane Lewis, executive director of the Jamaica Forum for Lesbians, All-Sexuals & ? , said there were increasing "pockets of tolerance" on the island.

"We can say that we are becoming more tolerant. And thankfully that's because of people like Dwayne who have helped push the envelope," said Lewis, one of the few Jamaican ? who will publicly disclose his full name.

Yet rights groups still complain of the slow pace of the investigation into Jones' murder, despite the justice minister calling for a full probe.

Police spokesman Steve Brown said detectives working the case are struggling to overcome a chronic problem: a strong anti-informant culture that makes eyewitnesses to murders and other crimes too afraid or simply unwilling to come forward.

Even though some 300 people were at the dance party in the small riverside community of Irwin, police have yet to make a single arrest in Dwayne's murder. Police say witnesses have said they couldn't see the attackers' faces.

Dwayne was the center of attraction shortly after arriving in a taxi at 2 a.m. with his two 23-year-old housemates, Khloe and Keke. Dwayne's expert dance moves, long legs and high cheekbones quickly made him the one that the guys were trying to get next to.

Like many Jamaican homosexuals, Dwayne was careful about confiding in others about his sexual orientation. But when he saw a girl he had known from church, he told her he was attending the party in drag.

Minutes later, according to Khloe and Keke, the girl's male friends gathered around Dwayne in the dimly-lit street asking: "Are you a woman or a man?" One man waved a lighter's flame near Dwayne's sneakers, asking whether a girl could have such big feet.

Then, his friends said, another man grabbed a lantern from an outdoor bar and walked over to Dwayne, shining the bright light over him from head to toe. "It's a man," he concluded, while the others hissed "? " and other anti-? epithets.

Khloe says she tried to steer him away from the crowd, whispering in Dwayne's ear: "Walk with me, walk with me." But Dwayne pulled away, loudly insisting to partygoers that he was a girl. When someone behind him snapped his bra strap, the teen panicked and raced down the street.

But he couldn't run fast enough to escape the mob.

The teenager was viciously assaulted and apparently half-conscious for some two hours before another sustained attack finished him off, according to Khloe, who was also beaten and nearly ? . She hid in a nearby church and then the surrounding woods, unable to call for help because she didn't have her cellphone.

Dwayne's father in the Montego Bay slum of North Gully didn't want to talk about his son's life or death. The teen's family wouldn't even claim the body, according to Dwayne's friends.

They remembered him as a spirited boy with a contagious laugh who dreamt of becoming a performer like Lady Gaga. He was also a street-smart hustler who resorted to sleeping in the bushes or on beaches when he became homeless. He won a local dancing competition during his time on the streets and was affectionately nicknamed "Gully Queen."

"He was the youngest of us but he was a diva," Khloe said. "He was always very feisty and joking around."

Inside their squatter house, Khloe and Keke said, they still talk to their dead friend.

"I'll be cooking in the kitchen and I'll say, 'Dwayne, you hungry?' or something like that," said Keke while sitting on the old mattress in her bedroom, flinching as neighborhood dogs barked outside. "We just miss him all the time. Sometimes I think I see him."

But down the hall, Dwayne's room is empty except for pink window curtains decorated with roses, his favorite flower.

That's what that ? ass ? made man-? mutafucka gets. How you're going to be a goo guzzling man-? in a country that doesn't play that ? ? This ? muthafucka was tempting hubris like a muthafucka and it got what it had coming to it.

Comments

• FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because press like this is exactly what Jamaica needs.

The ? is wrong with these people?
  • Maximus Rex
    FucktheIC wrote: »

Nothing if you ask me.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    My Jamaican brethren doesn't play that ? -? ? .

But going to a straight party posing as a "chick" was suicide.

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FucktheIC wrote: »

It's insanity but this is Jamaica we talking about here, you exist no other reason is needed really.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    What a bunch of sick ? ...dude was only 16. Of course the usual sociopaths and psychotics cosign this wackness.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know you live in a country where certain ? is tolerated or not tolerated, do you do said ? ? Hell the ? no. If you came with guns or weapons, it's one thing to be on some "I'll do me wherever I'm at" mentality. It is completely suicidal to do your thing unarmed in the midst of a group that is that anti.

I don't agree with the death thing, but I feel like some of these trannies are the real psychos. I understand they think they are women and probably get some kind of ego boost out of getting all the attention, but don't take a dude out the club and back home without disclosing the truth and then act a victim when he splits he/she's wig.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rage wrote: »
    What a bunch of sick ? ...dude was only 16. Of course the usual sociopaths and psychotics cosign this wackness.

I could give a ? if it was 18, 21, 25, 30, the man-? was the sociopath. I don't claim and most importantly do I want to understand homosexuality, but what in the ? does dressing up like a ? have to do with your desire to suck ? ? That sick ain't normal and is a ? sickness and this were the ? community loses a lot of people by embracing these trannie freaks and man ? .

Those ? did go a little to hard, but at the same time, you're in a country where that ? ain't tolerated so you should know what to expect. It's like going to Saudi Arabia trying to give a sermon at the virtues of Christianity in front of the Kaaba during the Haj, ain't nothing good is going to come from that ? .

GTFOH with this ? . The ? wasnt hurting nobody, he didn't attack anybody he didnt harm nobody. The ? are you or anybody else to tell another person what they can and cannot wear.

But its coo...the fact of the matter is the world is passing people like you and that asylum escapee that cosigned you by. You are looked at and recognized as the bigots and cowards you are more and more everyday by the rest of society and civilization. You guys are no different than the old white slave owner in the 1970's...your beliefs are being exposed for the ? that it is...so you have to use places like this where anonymity allows you to go on these idiotic rants. Do your thing...this is one of the few places where you guys can get your anger and hate out.
  • jono

I could give a ? if it was 18, 21, 25, 30, the man-? was the sociopath. I don't claim and most importantly do I want to understand homosexuality, but what in the ? does dressing up like a ? have to do with your desire to suck ? ? That sick ain't normal and is a ? sickness and this were the ? community loses a lot of people by embracing these trannie freaks and man ? .

Those ? did go a little to hard, but at the same time, you're in a country where that ? ain't tolerated so you should know what to expect. It's like going to Saudi Arabia trying to give a sermon at the virtues of Christianity in front of the Kaaba during the Haj, ain't nothing good is going to come from that ? .

GTFOH with this ? . The ? wasnt hurting nobody, he didn't attack anybody he didnt harm nobody. The ? are you or anybody else to tell another person what they can and cannot wear.

But its coo...the fact of the matter is the world is passing people like you and that asylum escapee that cosigned you by. You are looked at and recognized as the bigots and cowards you are more and more everyday by the rest of society and civilization. You guys are no different than the old white slave owner in the 1970's...your beliefs are being exposed for the ? that it is...so you have to use places like this where anonymity allows you to go on these idiotic rants. Do your thing...this is one of the few places where you guys can get your anger and hate out.

That's the important part.

• Maximus Rex

It was attempting to hurt somebody by itself off as something it wasn't. It would have been all ? and giggles if that sick degenerate muthafucka gave some poor unsuspecting dude head, wouldn't it? This widespread acceptance of fagdom needs to be stopped dead in it's tracks. Like I said, you want to be a ? and suck ? , cool, but dress like a man and keep that ? in your home.
    But its coo...the fact of the matter is the world is passing people like you and that asylum escapee that cosigned you by. You are looked at and recognized as the bigots and cowards you are more and more everyday by the rest of society and civilization.

Naw ponta you need to rephrase that...The rest of WESTERN CIVILIZATION. The rest of world doesn't tolerate this blatant fagdom everywhere, it's only here, Canada, Europe, New Zealand, Australia, and Brazil where they play that ? . Every where else, they killing these ? . As far as being a bigot and cowards, I don't think they should be denied civil liberities and why am I coward for not approving of their ? ass ways?
    You guys are no different than the old white slave owner in the 1970's...your beliefs are being exposed for the ? that it is...so you have to use places like this where anonymity allows you to go on these idiotic rants. Do your thing...this is one of the few places where you guys can get your anger and hate out.

I have no way of proving it, but I would say the same thing in public with no ? given and if another ? runs up on me with ? , (like last summer,) Imma whoop on the muthafucka, since the police won't do anything about it. For clarity slaver ended in the 1860's, not the 1970's.
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't cosign that young dudes behavior but he didn't deserve what happened.
  • PK_TK_187
    PK_TK_187 Members Posts: 2,240
    this is why i hate Jamaicans.
    they didnt have to do that guy like that.
    his father wrong as hell for putting him out
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

sounds like some white liberal ? loving ? .

Most of the world does not support homosexuality that is just another tactic of mental warfare that your kind uses on people.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ROFL@ the title ...classic song BTW.
  • Say What
    zombie wrote: »
    For all the non-jamaicans talking on some negative ? , ? you
    jamaicans are not african- americans, white americans or europeans we have our own culture and our own way for seeing things. This ? should have stayed were he was he had no right dancing with normal men,everyman he danced with he violated. what the ? did he think was going to happen?

I understand that. In some areas of Africa they still practice genital mutilation. I also find that barbaric. I still feel both is wrong and if the state doesn't punish them it shows they agree with your statements.
  • Say What
    HyenaKilla wrote: »
    It's actually a lot like.... a ? goes to an amusement park dressed as a clown or cartoon character, in an attempt to seduce unsuspecting children, then gets massacred by a mob of outraged parents.

No its not a ? is a ? that takes advantage of trusting children. These are adults that shouldn't be ? strangers. I think what he did was disgusting but it is only going to hurt irresponsible people. The adults he was preying on could defend themselves.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't give a ? what another ? is doing. It's that simple and that easy.

I shouldn't try to rationalize irrational ? though.
  • FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love when people who clearly don't wish to see Jamaica progress exalt this behavior.

Fact remains, ? like this isn't good for business. ? have a lot of expendable income.

But yeah, ? the homosexuals and starve to death b/c the economy is already ? . Sounds like a great idea.
  • jono
    janklow wrote: »
    i'm just going to say it again: there's a point where the level of rage in response to homosexuality implies closet cases
    ........that's true. I think some of our colleagues passed that point.