Graduate Record Examinations

Options
twentyfivelighters
twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone on the IC taken the GRE yet?

I'm taking it on the 7th of September. Looking to apply to doctoral programs in clin psych in the fall (around October). Hopefully I do well enough that I don't have to retake it. I've been preparing for a while. Prep book, flash cards, all that stuff. Got my vocab down, still a little iffy on some algebra and geometry I haven't had in a while, though.

Anyone else? Tips, tricks?

Comments

• MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's been some years since I took it but it was similar to SAT/ACT. Basically it just test to see what your strengths and weaknesses are on general courses
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From what I've practiced, the algebra can end up being tricky at times, but I'm so good at geometry, all I had to really do was memorize some formulas. I bought a set of the "toughest 500 GRE words" flashcards; ran through them like 7 times. If I don't get a good score on the verbal I'll be ? , lol.

Gonna take a few practice tests this week and chill until Saturday morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb-E3EuIfn8
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I finished in the top 85th percentile in math and like the 50th in the verbal section...I'd say be quick and trust your first instinct. Reading passages multiple times really ? me over time wise and I didn't complete most of the questions in that section. As for the math it's nothing crazy like Trig or Calculus...just brush up through Algebra/Geometry and you should be fine tbh.

research has shown that when a student changes an answer majority of the time they change a wrong answer to a right one
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just another SAT/ACT test..personally GRE should not be needed for alot of Advanced Degrees.