Black Atheists Question?

Options

Comments

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyway, I don't even believe in mystical ? and I don't necessarily have to to be a Buddhist. Nice try.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    He can still weep for her passing and comfort the family. I don't know what praying has to do with anything.

It has everything to do with it, when people who believe the same thing pray together there is a unity that exist there it is a special experience especially at very emotional times. I cannot have that feeling with someone i know is an atheist.

atheist and theist don't experience death in the same way for an atheist death is the end.

So pretty much your not including them cause they don't share the same beliefs as you and you believe them to be immoral and unethical. That's discriminatory towards them and their feelings. The lack of belief towards a deity means we are not human and we failed at the human experience, that's a horrible look at it. What if they believe in hinduism or Islam or wiccan? They believe in other deities as well or what about a goddess?

It's not about me not including them they discluded themselves from the bonding experience. Atheist can have morals, they make their own up, but you can't guess what their morals are and that is why atheist are not trusted. I cannot pray with a hindu or a wiccan and share the same experience in fact i cannot pray with them at all. muslims and jews maybe.

i never mentioned anything about the human experience i was talking about the experience of prayer at a grandmothers funeral
  • zombie
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Oceanic wrote: »
    It has everything to do with it, when people who believe the same thing pray together there is a unity that exist there

But does it accomplish anything? My answer is no and even if you answer yes, you cannot honestly tell me the results are 100% effective.

And if you don't pray to accomplish something, necessarily, I'd have to ask you what then is the purpose of prayer? If it's to experience "unity", then prayer is not necessary because unity can be experienced a great number of ways other than prayer.. like team sports or family reunions for example. A group of people don't even have to pray to your ? to experience the same Unity they would if they did.

When you pray in the situation i set up, it accomplishes alot it bonds the family and heals the family at a time of loss in a special way. you cannot get this feeling anywhere else. playing sports and reunions don't cut it. The religious experience is unique because it is the most serious coming together of the family.
  • zombie
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    Just when I thought I'd heard enough, they come with some more off the wall ? .

Best offense is a good defense must be.

So since this ? thinks being atheist is acting white, I wanna know what religion ? told him is acting black?

Being an atheist is not acting white but atheism is a european philosophy and ideology, the first atheist were greek and today most atheist are white males.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    I am not interested with the rest of mankind at my grandma's funeral

I didn't say you have to be concerned with mankind at your grandma's funeral. I said specifically that religion separates mankind. A perfect example is your attitude toward the atheists in this thread. We don't have a problem with you, but you do with us just because we don't believe in what you do.
    an atheist can share my pain but not in the same way a believer can. If my whole family is in the church praying and crying but taking solace in the belief that we are going to see our grandma in heaven. What are you going to be doing ?

I would be doing the same thing as you (grieving) only finding solace in something else other than a non verifiable belief. That's the thing.. your beliefs are a coping mechanism. I don't have to be believe grandma is going to heaven in order to grieve or show respects.
    you can't really console us because you don't believe.

I don't necessarily have to have the same theological beliefs as someone else in order to console that person. I've been to funerals and I've consoled believers. I've even given a speech at a loved one's funeral and talked about what I've learned from the life of the person who passed and how I've applied it to my life including my opinion on how the world should apply the same philosophy. Believers have told me that my speech greatly moved them. I didn't have to pray to do that.
    If i am the only believer in a family of atheist i won't be the outsider to them because they don;t believe there is anything to be outside of.

You would be an outsider in the sense that as far as theistic beliefs are concerned, you are the minority.
    Atheism is not a shared thing but prayer can be in other words my prayers will be no loss for them because prayer is not a bonding experience for them

Atheism can be a shared thing. Most of the posters in this thread are atheists. They and I have no belief in ? ; this is something we have in common. In other words, our atheism is "shared"..

It doesn't matter whether or not you think prayer is a loss for the majority. We're talking about a loss for the minority. Your claim was that not praying is a loss for the atheist (the minority) and I pointed out that it's only true in your scenario because the atheist is the minority. Even then, praying is not a loss for the atheist, per se but rather it may be in regards to sharing a bonding experience by way of prayer with the majority. When I flipped it around, you being the praying minority in a group of non praying individuals puts you at a loss. A community of atheists won't share the belief in grandma going to meet ? in heaven with you. They may have a different way to find peace in her passing.. a way in which you may not be able to connect with because of your belief in ? . This puts you at a disadvantage because you are the minority. I say that to say this: your argument is ineffective.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    When you pray in the situation i set up,

Exactly. That is the problem. You've set up a situation purposely to your advantage.

it accomplishes alot it bonds the family and heals the family at a time of loss in a special way. you cannot get this feeling anywhere else.

Yeah, only for a family of believers who think it accomplishes something. As stated earlier, it's only a coping mechanism.
  • Bodhi
    edited August 2013
    Options
    atheism is a european philosophy and ideology, the first atheist were greek and today most atheist are white males.

False. Atheism is the absence of theistic belief. The first black people in Africa were atheists before civilization and culture created the idea of any ? . Atheism is as old as mankind itself. Even before there were [recorded] atheistic philosophies in Greece, they existed in ancient India, which black people inhabited. So atheism does not belong to any one group of people. Actually, Christianity is a white religion.
  • zombie
    Options
    When you pray in the situation i set up,

Exactly. That is the problem. You've set up a situation purposely to your advantage.

it accomplishes alot it bonds the family and heals the family at a time of loss in a special way. you cannot get this feeling anywhere else.

Yeah, only for a family of believers who think it accomplishes something. As stated earlier, it's only a coping mechanism.

A grandmother funeral is a situation that millions of people go through it's a real situation not some impossibility i made up.

Coping mechanism or not it accomplishes something now if we were taking about a family of non believers belief and prayer would not be an issue now would it because there would be nothing to pray about and nothing to believe in.
  • zombie
    edited August 2013
    Options
    atheism is a european philosophy and ideology, the first atheist were greek and today most atheist are white males.

False. Atheism is the absence of theistic belief. The first black people in Africa were atheists before civilization and culture created the idea of any ? . Atheism is as old as mankind itself. Even before there were [recorded] atheistic philosophies in Greece, they existed in ancient India, which black people inhabited.

The first people to call themselves atheist were greek. how the ? do you know what the first black people did before civilization LOL before civilization there would be no records of anything ? IS WRONG WITH YOU.

I mean real atheism , hard atheism not the ? you practice i don't accept HINDUISM and buddhism as being atheist because in both religions ? CAN EXIST.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    A grandmother funeral is a situation that millions of people go through it's a real situation not some impossibility i made up.

I know that death is universal but that particular scenario was [in your words] "set up" to your advantage.
    Coping mechanism or not..

Let's just, for arguments sake, agree that it is…
    it accomplishes something.

Ok, please continue..
    now if we were taking about a family of non believers belief and prayer would not be an issue now would it because there would be nothing to pray about and nothing to believe in.

Right. But then, there may be another coping mechanism that replaces prayer and fills the role of providing peace for the family or community. So then what makes prayer special or more useful (at least in that way) than any other coping mechanism?
  • Bodhi
    edited August 2013
    Options
    The first people to call themselves atheist were greek.

Well that's because the word atheist itself comes from Greek language. That doesn't mean nobody didn't believe in ? before there was a Greek word for it. That's like saying nobody was a vegetarian before the word vegetarian was created or that there were no artists before the word art was made up.

Edit: thanks for the laugh.
  • zombie
    Options

I know that death is universal but that particular scenario was [in your words] "set up" to your advantage.

Ok, please continue..
    now if we were taking about a family of non believers belief and prayer would not be an issue now would it because there would be nothing to pray about and nothing to believe in.

Right. But then, there may be another coping mechanism that replaces prayer and fills the role of providing peace for the family or community. So then what makes prayer special or more useful (at least in that way) than any other coping mechanism?

That scenario was not set up to my advantage at all it happens everyday how is it to my advantage? my grandmother dies and my sister not being able to pray with me is no advantage. You can smoke ? as a coping mechanism or buy ? , what i am trying to tell you what the coping mechanism of belief is unlike any other and for most families IN TRYING TIMES nothing else can fill it's void.

You think playing sports, sex or getting high creates the feeling that knelling toward what you believe is the creator of the universe does?? hell no. the peace you get from your ? is unlike anything else. Talk to a muslim about the feeling he got while he circled the kaabaa. You cannot create that experience any other way.

Also the oldest people on earth are most likely the san people of africa and they have a theistic religion
  • zombie
    Options
    The first people to call themselves atheist were greek.

Well that's because the word atheist itself comes from Greek language. That doesn't mean nobody didn't believe in ? before there was a Greek word for it. That's like saying nobody was a vegetarian before the word vegetarian was created or that there were no artists before the word art was made up.

Edit: thanks for the laugh.

Ok i'll give you that but pay attention to the rest of that post.
  • Bodhi
    Options

Ok, please continue..

That scenario was not set up to my advantage at all it happens everyday how is it to my advantage? my grandmother dies and my sister not being able to pray with me is no advantage. You can smoke ? as a coping mechanism or buy ? , what i am trying to tell you what the coping mechanism of belief is unlike any other and for most families IN TRYING TIMES nothing else can fill it's void.

You think playing sports, sex or getting high creates the feeling that knelling toward what you believe is the creator of the universe does?? hell no. the peace you get from your ? is unlike anything else. Talk to a muslim about the feeling he got while he circled the kaabaa. You cannot create that experience any other way.

Also the oldest people on earth are most likely the san people of africa and they have a theistic religion

It's set up to your advantage because you use the argument that prayer works better than anything else.. WHILE USING a praying family as an example. Sure, a prayer is going to probably be the best thing for someone who already believes in it but that doesn't mean prayer, per se, is effective generally speaking
  • Bodhi
    edited August 2013
    Options

Great. Thank you for the intellectual honesty. Ok.
    I mean real atheism , hard atheism not the ? you practice i don't accept HINDUISM and buddhism as being atheist because in both religions ? CAN EXIST.

That doesn't change the fact that non theistic philosophical and religious positions like Buddhism don't promote (or acknowledge) belief in ? , i.e. there is an absence of belief in ? in their worldviews and so ultimately you don't have much of a point here. That's why I didn't address it.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah, I don't associate with people who are that irrational.
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah....

That whole atheist ? is a European invention......

Y'all ? is lunch meat......

• ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bambu wrote: »
    Yeah....

That whole atheist ? is a European invention......

Y'all ? is lunch meat......

That means you're dissing half of yourself.

Self-hater.
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's described in the OP has never occurred, have been called a "backslider" and have been told, "You're lost", though.

Also, am agnostic not an atheist.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NYETOPn wrote: »
    What's described in the OP has never occurred, have been called a "backslider" and have been told, "You're lost", though.

Sorry to inform you bruh but you're an atheist.

If you don't believe in ? , you're an atheist.

We're not asking you what percentage you don't believe in one?

We're asking if you believe in ? or not.
  • zombie
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »
    NYETOPn wrote: »

Sorry to inform you bruh but you're an atheist.

If you don't believe in ? , you're an atheist.

We're not asking you what percentage you don't believe in one?

We're asking if you believe in ? or not.

Atheist need to stop claiming agnostics they are not the same thing.
  • zombie
    Options
    Anyway, I don't even believe in mystical ? and I don't necessarily have to to be a Buddhist. Nice try.

But you are a buddhist.
  • zombie
    edited August 2013
    Options

Ok, please continue..

It's set up to your advantage because you use the argument that prayer works better than anything else.. WHILE USING a praying family as an example. Sure, a prayer is going to probably be the best thing for someone who already believes in it but that doesn't mean prayer, per se, is effective generally speaking

My argument was that prayer bonds and heals a family in a way no other activity can and Generally speaking prayer/religion is the most effective because it can bond an entire family from the 8 years olds to the 80 year olds. This is a bonding experience atheist cannot have nor can atheist families have. so instantly my atheist family member is left out of that family activity if i am the only theist in an atheist family then, then my family losses nothing because they don't care to have that experience.

I also don't lose anything because my religious experience will still make me feel like i bonded with my family on that day.
  • Bodhi
    Options

But you are a buddhist.

I know.
  • zombie
    Options

Great. Thank you for the intellectual honesty. Ok.

That doesn't change the fact that non theistic philosophical and religious positions like Buddhism don't promote (or acknowledge) belief in ? , i.e. there is an absence of belief in ? in their worldviews and so ultimately you don't have much of a point here. That's why I didn't address it.

Budda was not an atheist and so what if there is no central ? in buddhism it is still based on non-verifiable information is not scientific and is still focused on the supernatural.