Should Kobe Bryant be asked the PED question?

_God_
_God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in From the Cheap Seats

http://onpointpress.net/

interestin article on kobe and his superhuman performabces at 33 , 34 yrs old i personally think its a no brainer

Comments

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asked for what? Even if he used and I don't think he has, it ain't like he's gonna admit it now.
  • _God_
    Asked for what? Even if he used and I don't think he has, it ain't like he's gonna admit it now.

well they asked adrian peterson n lebron
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if an athlete is using something that is on the banned/illegal list, asking the PED question is pointless with no concrete evidence.

"Yes, due to ? -tier testing methods, all my results are clean, but I just want you to know that I've used banned substances"

• joeyfkncrakk
    joeyfkncrakk Members Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? haters... Kobe is like that ? Wolverine, heals up quick off that Germany ? .... 6.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think even bilfigger will admit Kobe wouldn't do no ? ? like that.
  • _God_
    ? haters... Kobe is like that ? Wolverine, heals up quick off that Germany ? .... 6.
    what is that germany ? exactly?
  • _God_
    I think even bilfigger will admit Kobe wouldn't do no ? ? like that.

have u watched kobes career? his first ten years he was pretty fragile, always injured now he is some superman

and seriously recovering from a ruptured achilles in 4 months? are you serious?
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    _? _ wrote: »
    what is that germany ? exactly?

Nothing super special. At the time, I don't think they were doing the procedure here in the States, but that has since changed.

Here is an article from last year, describing what procedure Kobe had performed on his knee. Wade had the same procedure done to his knee before the playoffs, but he kept banging his knee so his knee really didn't get a chance to heal.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7796225/kobe-bryant-dr-chris-renna-regenokine-knee-treatment

Although Kobe has been mostly silent on the topic of his arthritic knee — "I'm not talking about my injury" is a constant refrain — his main treatment consisted of a new therapy called Regenokine. The therapy itself is part of a larger category of treatments known as "biologic medicine," in which the patient's own tissues are extracted, carefully manipulated, and then reintroduced to the body.

In recent years, there has been an explosion of interest in biologics. (The list of people who have also experimented with Regenokine reportedly includes Fred Couples, superagent Ari Emanuel, and the late Pope John Paul II.) Those willing to pay out of pocket can now treat their ailing joints with everything from platelet rich plasma (PRP) therapy, in which blood is spun until it contains a high concentration of healing platelets, to concentrated bone marrow injections, dense with stem cells. What all of these biologics have in common is the same appealing logic: Instead of cutting with a scalpel, or administering a synthetic drug — these treatments have long recovery times and nasty side effects — the healing mechanisms of the flesh should be put to work. The body heals best when it heals itself.

Centrifuge
    Consider the Regenokine approach, a patented method developed by Dr. Peter Wehling, a spinal surgeon in Düsseldorf, Germany. The procedure begins with the removal of a small cup of blood from a patient, which is then incubated at a slightly elevated temperature. (The goal is to give the blood a fever.) The liquid is then spun in a centrifuge until it's separated into its constituent parts. The heavy red blood cells accumulate in the bottom layer, a layer of crimson crud at the bottom of the plastic tube. The relevant fluid is the middle yellowish layer — it looks like viscous ? — which is dense with agents that, at least in theory, can accelerate the natural healing mechanisms of the body. "The inflammatory response is normally part of the recovery process," says Chris Renna, one of the only American doctors administering Regenokine. "But sometimes the body can't turn the inflammation off, and that's when you get chronic pain and arthritic degeneration. The goal of Regenokine is to stop that response so your body can begin getting better."

Kobe is clearly a believer in Regenokine and biologic medicine. Last July, he traveled to Düsseldorf, Germany, for an experimental version of the treatment and, according to reports, returned for a second round in October. He even recommended the treatment to Alex Rodriguez, which led the baseball star to undergo the same treatment on his knee late last year. Bryant hasn't commented publicly on the treatment, but A-Rod has described the feelings of his friend. Bryant "was really adamant about how great the procedure was for him," Rodriguez told reporters."I know that he was hurting before, almost even thinking about retirement, that's how much pain he was under. And then he said after he went to Germany he felt like a 27-year-old again. I was still a little apprehensive about it and he kept staying on me about it."

The reason Kobe, A-Rod, and other athletes travel to Germany for their biologic treatments involves a vague FDA regulation that mandates that all human tissues (such as blood and bone marrow) can only be "minimally manipulated," or else they are classified as a drug and subject to much stricter governmental regulations. The problem, of course, is figuring out what "minimal" means in the context of biologics. Can the blood be heated to a higher temperature, as with Regenokine? Spun in a centrifuge? Can certain proteins be filtered out?2 Nobody knows the answer to these questions, and most American doctors are unwilling to risk the ire of regulators.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kobe too confident in himself for that.
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a reasonable question to ask. But, don't disrespect the king.
    LeBron put on a lot of pounds since he came from HS, jumping and running fast with a 250 frame. I mean, since we're asking...but I don't think he's doing anything either.
    But it's REASONABLE.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kobe is a hooper but his recovery from the types of injuries he's had raise an eyebrow
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Kobe is a hooper but his recovery from the types of injuries he's had raise an eyebrow

He just played through most of his ? .. changed his shot if he had to and just grinded..for a couple of years he was barely exerting himself... as for the achilles he did the same surgery technique of beckham i believe.. and that Germany ? ... many players went through their ? wasnt exclusive to Kobe. ? Tmac went..Arod went.. I think Bynum and Wade went..
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? asking us questions about Kobe...smh.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if ANY professional athlete used anything. You are playing at the absolute highest level of sport. Lol @ ? acting like they know Kobe personally.
    kobe hasnt shown tremendous endurance or strength to warrant that kind of a question. if they asking everybody then he fits the criteria...but as a point of interest ...id say no.

to me its pretty apparent kobes ability comes from film and practice

LMAO u kidding right.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't they do a random drug test on Kobe during the olympics and found nothing?
    If you're going to ask Kobe then you have to ask just about every top athlete.
    I just don't see it and stop it y'all act like that procedure in Germany was some exclusive ? .
    Workout and diet will help you go a long way.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FlightKing wrote: »
    It's a reasonable question to ask. But, don't disrespect the king.
    LeBron put on a lot of pounds since he came from HS, jumping and running fast with a 250 frame. I mean, since we're asking...but I don't think he's doing anything either.
    But it's REASONABLE.

I agree, Lebron should def. be questioned before anybody.
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Everyone talks about Kobe but ignores Duncan. Whats remarkable about Kobe is his consistent greatness. Theres been no real drop off in his performance. His season last year was completly blown out of proportion. He was great offensively in stretches. He was great to begin the season then slid drasticly leading up to the All star break, before bouncing back with an amazing 10 game stretch after the all star break before dipping again. He played zero defense, and even as hard as he was playing he basically topped out at 40 points when a few years ago he would have thrown up 50's and 60s on the regular.

Duncan clearly declined for 4 straight seasons before all of a suden turing back the clock to 2003, and all anyone said was "Oh he lost weight".
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • coop9889
    Kobe has been as durable as can be expected from a sg...he sat out a couple of the world championship summers to rest his legs cuz he has a ton of miles on em

The last time he played over 40 min a game was 06. Hes got the endurance of a world class athlete but he's not looking like lance Armstrong or some ?

I'm just trippin off you saying "kobe hasn't shown tremendous endurance" when he's played more minutes than any other SG in history save 1 (Reggie). He's gonna finish top 7-8 minutes played EVER. That's tremendous endurance in nba terms.

You can't really bring other sports into it as far as endurance is concerned. No ? in the nba would have the endurance of a lance armstrong or a ironman competitor or even a soccer player because you don't train like they do in the nba.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 wrote: »
    Kobe has been as durable as can be expected from a sg...he sat out a couple of the world championship summers to rest his legs cuz he has a ton of miles on em

The last time he played over 40 min a game was 06. Hes got the endurance of a world class athlete but he's not looking like lance Armstrong or some ?

I'm just trippin off you saying "kobe hasn't shown tremendous endurance" when he's played more minutes than any other SG in history save 1 (Reggie). He's gonna finish top 7-8 minutes played EVER. That's tremendous endurance in nba terms.

You can't really bring other sports into it as far as endurance is concerned. No ? in the nba would have the endurance of a lance armstrong or a ironman competitor or even a soccer player because you don't train like they do in the nba.

So he should be tested bc hes a 17 year vet who still gets burn?

Lol really? Thats the logical train of thought you got from this short back n forth?

I havent said anything about testing Im strictly talkin about his endurance.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea he should if they was winning. But not now though. He's just a jack now.
  • eastbay510
    eastbay510 Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as Kobe is worried about legacy and his place among the basketball greats I doubt he would do anything to taint that like taking any kind of PED's.

His will and pain tolerance and attention to detail is what pushes him through.