Robin Thicke Sues to Protect 'Blurred Lines' from Marvin Gaye's Family

13»

Comments

• DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theodis wrote: »
    i dont give a ? . these white boys/girls need to come up off them duckets if they wanna partake in our culture.

simple as that.

cause they ? it up.

you can't blame the white singers when the black singers are all off doing techno/euro pop. at least the younger mainstream ones that actually get attention from the radio.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GQ interview from May 7, 2013

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2013/05/robin-thicke-interview-blurred-lines-music-video-collaborating-with-2-chainz-and-kendrick-lamar-mercy.html#ixzz2cBLRWxUc
    GQ: What's the origin story behind your new single "Blurred Lines"?
    Robin Thicke:
    Pharrell and I were in the studio and I told him that one of my favorite songs of all time was Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up." I was like, "Damn, we should make something like that, something with that groove." Then he started playing a little something and we literally wrote the song in about a half hour and recorded it. The whole thing was done in a couple hours—normally, those are the best ones. Him and I would go back and forth where I'd sing a line and he'd be like, "Hey, hey, hey!" We started acting like we were two old men on a porch hollering at girls like, "Hey, where you going, girl? Come over here!" That's why, in the video, we're doing all these old men dances. It was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp7Q1OAzITM

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7FyGHss4kQ

qa21ppN.gif
  • rantanamo
    rantanamo Members Posts: 79 ✭✭
    It might not be the black thing to say, but this is not a sample. If this case wins, its the same ? that Huey Lewis did to Ray Parker Jr. That's not good for black people or music, because in every era of music, there is a "sound". That's just the way life is. ? like this is like Apple owning the whole idea of touchscreen phones with icons and rounded edges when blackberry and sony did it before them. Marvin Gaye did not give monetary credit to Johnny Taylor for his influence on the song.
  • red_ahh
    red_ahh Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    the thing is this song been out SINCE THE WINTER TIME. what took so long for gaye's family to sue? only cuz its the number 1 song now?

the gaye family hasnt filed suit against anyone. robin, pharrell and clifford filed suit against them. seems like someone is feeling guilty. so they decided to sue first.

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    red_ahh wrote: »
    the thing is this song been out SINCE THE WINTER TIME. what took so long for gaye's family to sue? only cuz its the number 1 song now?

the gaye family hasnt filed suit against anyone. robin, pharrell and clifford filed suit against them. seems like someone is feeling guilty. so they decided to sue first.

No it's called preemptive strike.
  • lighthearted26
    lighthearted26 Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't realize how close they were until a radio station played them back to back. Sounds like a sample to me. Lol@ the vanilla ice reference, that was hilarious when he said that ? .
  • alvarez_313
    alvarez_313 Members Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭✭
    When I first heard it come on I was like "oh ? they remade Marvin's song!!!" then I was like "oh"..
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking at the bigger picture here. Not even a real fan of Robin Thicke or that song (it's ok for what it is) , but I know chumped up charge when I see one.

And it's a slippery slop this one..lol But it bores down to Thicke and Pharrell doing what some of our favorite hip hop producers have been doing since the "birth" of it. But instead Pharrell did not actually sample the original record, but was "inspired" by the groove and vibe of it.

And some people are hastily calling foul and automatically taking Marvin Gaye's estate side in this solely because Marvin's name is attached, and he is such a legend. But they are just ignorant to the legality of what's happening . Thicke and Pharell have a right to protect themselves here.

They are not suing for money. Just making it were they can not be sued . That's fair game. The fact they offered a 6 figure $$$$, was more than generous , because they were not legally obligated to do that .

• a.mann
    Take for instance "G-Funk" we all know Dr. Dre and them were inspired by George Clinton /Parliament/ Funkadelic. There is no denying that. IMO it's the same thing here with "Blurred Lines". But whoever is running Marvin Gaye's estate are seeing a BIG payday $$$$. Because this song turn out to be such a massive worldwide hit.

You want to give credit and most importantly $$$$ money where it is due, but keep in mind, Marvin's people are not suing over sampling. Think about that. No where have( I've read at least), does it explicitly states Marvin Gaye's family is suing Robin Thicke and Pharrell over sampling .
  • a.mann
    rantanamo wrote: »
    It might not be the black thing to say, but this is not a sample. If this case wins, its the same ? that Huey Lewis did to Ray Parker Jr. That's not good for black people or music, because in every era of music, there is a "sound". That's just the way life is. ? like this is like Apple owning the whole idea of touchscreen phones with icons and rounded edges when blackberry and sony did it before them. Marvin Gaye did not give monetary credit to Johnny Taylor for his influence on the song.

exactly

thing is this, a lot people here and aboard don't ? about music history
    add that with lack of integrity and you will have reactions such these about this case

Integrity works something like this:

"I love Marvin for all the timeless classics and wonderful music he has blessed us with,
    but I have to disagree with his people on this one
    "

• a.mann
    reference for @rantanamo

comment about Ray Parker Jr VS Huey Lewis & The News lawsuit

Columbia Pictures was the defendant in a copyright infringement lawsuit, also naming Parker which claimed "Ghostbusters" was too similar in musical structure to "I Want a New Drug," written and performed by Huey Lewis and the News (more specifically, the bass/guitar riff which runs through the song).

"I Want a New Drug" was a U.S. top-ten hit earlier the same year and was extremely similar to "Pop Muzik" by M, a project by Robin Scott.

The two parties settled out of court. Details of the settlement (specifically, that Columbia Pictures paid Lewis a settlement) were confidential until 2001when Lewis commented on the payment in an episode of VH1's Behind the Music. Parker subsequently sued Lewis for breaching confidentiality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mqZrHPGuBo
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont give a ? . these white boys/girls need to come up off them duckets if they wanna partake in our culture.

simple as that.

cause they ? it up.

you can't blame the white singers when the black singers are all off doing techno/euro pop. at least the younger mainstream ones that actually get attention from the radio.

Not to be a ? a nuttin but im pretty sure Blacks developed Disco/Techno/Electro/House and im pretty sure europop was influenced by African Americans as well, watch documentaries crackas in europe are a lot more admitting to being influenced by African Americans than over here

I guess Rock aint the only music we lost in the shuffle, Either way we go musically we at home
  • a.mann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeHDnF7MU90

Here's an explain of what I mean: The Gap Band - "Oops Upside Your Head" .
    The vibe, melody, humorous monologues throughout the song , EVERYTHING about this song sounds EXACTLY like a P-Funk track. Much like with "Blurred Lines" Charlie Wilson admitted, they were inspired by Clinton & them guys.

Yet today no one is outrage over it.

Did Charlie and them every write George Clinton a check??? I don't know.

Should he have, if he didn't???

• [Deleted User]
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • a.mann
    haha

Jamal you actin' surprised like you weren't around for this ? ........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV05oji5doc
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    IMO Marvin's family have no right to sue Thicke. Song is heavily inspired , it doesn't use samples or interpolations. They just greedy for money and I'm a big Marvin fan.
  • xmp85
    xmp85 Members Posts: 33
    shouldnt have sampled marvins vocals then! idiot!
  • xmp85
    xmp85 Members Posts: 33
    If anybody needs quality production/beats for any new upcoming projects, be sure to check out my website xmpbeats.com!
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    robin thicke needs to be stopped anyway... dude can't sing for ? live.

? is an obvious rip off of got to give it up.

but i guess these white folks gon do like vanilla ice did and say "it's not ding ding ding digga ding ding, it's ding ding ding diggada ding ding"

see?? totally different!!!

? culture vultures.

funny how we are discussing tone with a group that is notorious for being tone deaf.
    That Vanilla Ice thing was the funniest hiphop moment ever lol! As for this song thing. It's funny how people wait to see if a song is going to blow up so they can sue smh. A lot of Lady Gaga songs "feel" and "sound" like Madonna songs. I don't see Gaga being sued.