Untitled play.

Options
Purr
Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
Niaje (knee-ah-jay) – An African American woman, in her late 20’s, who lives life by demanding people to bend to her materialistic and narcissistic wishes. She is above average height for a woman, slim, with mocha caramel skin tone. Her eyes are a piercing shade of hazel that flirts with your soul; and her lips are succulent and full. She is very hot tempered when she does not get her way with her boyfriend, Christian. She has been together with Christian for 2 years and they are on the verge of their relationship going downhill; unless, Niaje, decides to control her selfish behavior.

Christian (Niaje’s boyfriend) - He is a Puerto Rican man, in his late 20’s, who wants to conquer the world by pleasing everyone around him. He is 6’2 with a swimmer’s build with a beautiful chipped tooth smile, he is bronzed by the color of the sun, and his deep brown eyes can have you telling all of your secrets to him. He is a man who loves to love and he would do anything and everything for Niaje. However, he can sense her distancing herself from him and he wants to learn how to make her happy again.

Setting

The setting is the kitchen where there is a tall oak wood kitchen table with two high sitting chairs, where conversations are taking place between the couple. The entrance of the kitchen is gained by an empty bedroom with nothing but an end table, dresser and a King size bed.

The Play
People everyday move in with each other and wonder about how their relationship will further grow as a couple. A couple would move in together and time will place wonder slowly into one’s mind on whether or not they are right for each other, weighing out the pros and cons of staying in their relationship, trying to fight the convenience of being with someone they feel that they might not have a real emotional connection for, or not allowing anyone else to convince them that their relationship is a shipwreck. People begin to look at the negative aspect of their relationship from outsider’s perspectives instead of remembering the positive from their own memories of why they fell in love with each other. Many people begin to go to their fears of having that the worse is near and start to believe that the worst outcomes of their relationship are becoming that fearful a reality.

Act One

Niaje and Christian are waking up out of bed to start their morning of their chaotic routine for getting ready for work. Niaje looks over slowly at the clock adjusting her eyes to the digital time and jerks her head quickly realizing that she is going to be late if she does not hurry up out of bed. Christian rubs her back softly but Niaje jerks her body out of his repulsive reach, and gives him a stern look as if he is not supposed to touch her in that manner. A lovely manner. Christian knew his morning would not be a good one from her fierce look at him. He bows his head in disgrace, slowly getting out of the bed wondering what happened to them as he sit on the edge of the bed. Then, after contemplating their relationship for the millionth time, he walks towards the kitchen and begin to start making breakfast (While Niaje runs to the shower to get ready for work) because he has two hours to get ready for work and he is hungry.

Niaje: I am going to be late again! (Runs to the running shower)

Christian: I’ll make you some breakfast, so you don’t have to waste time driving to Mc Donalds! (He yells out to Niaje)

Niaje: Yea…Yea…Yea! (She yells from the shower)

(Christian begins to mumble to himself on why he always has to extend the olive branch to her. He wants to know why she treats him as if he does not exist in the world.)

Christian: (To himself in an almost whisper) I wonder what she really ? feels (draw out the word feel in a desperate choking manner) about me!? I do everything for her and just this morning, she jerks herself away from me. The man (Christian slaps his chest hard with his free hand) she supposed to love.

(Niaje walks in dressed for work. She slows down her pace to grasp every word he was saying to himself, but she could barely hear him. She looks at him and turns her face into an angry look and confronts him. )

Niaje (standing to the left side of Christian): Who are you talking too?

Christian (facing the stove near tears): No one. I was just thinking out loud.

Niaje: About –

Christian (speaks in a tense tone): None of your business. Is that alright? Or are you going to give me a crazy face for thinking to myself, like I tried to comfort you this morning.

Niaje rolls her eyes at Christian. She never realized how sensitive he has gotten and how much it has gotten on her damn nerves. She walks stage right to the kitchen table and sits down. She knew that she could not be with him any longer but the convenience of being with a man who pays for everything was a very hard decision for her to leave him.

Christian (Christian turns around and walks towards the kitchen table and serves her breakfast): We need to talk—

(Niaje interjects because she does not feel like hearing about his feelings)

Niaje: You always want to “talk” (She raises her fingers and make quotation marks while saying the word, talk.) and it is really about nothing but your ? and feelings (Draw out the word, feelings, in an exasperated manner). What is it now?! Why do you ruin my mornings every damn day?! (Niaje rolls her eyes in disgust.)

Christian (walks to the kitchen table and sits down facing Niaje): I have something very important to tell you, Niaje.

(Niaje gets up from the table and grab her keys to her BMW, looks at Christian in disgust.)

Niaje: We will talk about whatever is important to you when I get back from work, I have 40 minutes to get there and you don’t own a damn jet to get me there in less than 5 minutes. (Then she exits the kitchen stage left to the front door)

Christian: ? … (Lights dim)
Act Two

Christian walks to his bedroom with an hour and half to spare. He notices his mornings were always this damn toxic. He didn’t realize how terrible his relationship has gotten with Niaje. He lays on his bed for the comfort he has been seeking from his lover, Niaje, and looks over to the right side of his bed at the end table to gaze. He then snaps out of his gaze and notices Niaje’s cell phone on the end table. He picks it up, then debates to himself on whether or not to read her messages. He justifies himself to read her text messages because she grabs his phone and search through it. He starts reads the first text message from a guy that states: Meet me @ ten in the lobby of the Hilton. Christian begins to cry, and all of these years he has been faithful to Niaje, he would never believe she would ever cheat on him. He felt as if he finally has the faith of the relationship in his hands and for a man like, Christian, which was a fearful thought to finally be in control of a destructive situation. He could finally get out of his toxic relationship or he could get even for the pain he had endured from Niaje.

Comments