Did your family raise you to be racist?

Options
CraigMakaveli
CraigMakaveli Members Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in R & R (Religion and Race)
I told my Aunt when I was like 7 my gf was white she was like oh you like Becky lol this was like 97

But other than that I was raised colorblind

Comments

• nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No The World Did
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They tried, but they failed.

Unfortunately for them, I was able to think for myself at a young age.
  • CraigMakaveli
    Options

How did they try?
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, but i was raised to have a racial outlook and consciousness
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How did they try?
    By reinforcing negative views of non-Blacks and overly-glorifying Blacks.

Telling me I couldn't trust White people, but I could trust Blacks.

I was thinking, "I don't trust anyone. I don't trust you.".
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No.

My african american grandfather refers to people of oriental descent as "chinks" though.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To mexicans. Which was awkward and funny because both my mom and dad had mexican in them. Granted I have a certain disdain for a few that like to ? /jump/stab with anyone that ain't their color of brown, I am usually cool with most.
  • Dirty Sanchez
    Dirty Sanchez Members Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    No.

My african american grandfather refers to people of oriental descent as "chinks" though.

hilarious
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Define racist because by my definition everyone is.
  • CraigMakaveli
    Options
    Elrawd wrote: »
    Define racist because by my definition everyone is.

Like propoganda type ? .
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my old man let me know " what time it was" with these "devils" (white,black,brown,yellow)

:-B
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No....but amerikkka has
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Racist no but my grandmother, my dad's mother, hated white people. Hell she didn't like my mom when they first met because she considered her too light lol. Nothing funnier than hearing a bunch of old people cuss out white people spanish.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no, i was raised more so to have pride in myself than to worry about other peoples ? . I was never really around white people till I went to high school. By that time I was more focused on my goals than worrying about their feelings.
  • sweetheart93
    sweetheart93 Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its genetic with me.
    The blood of my ancestors be telling me to hit the gas when i c a cracka crossing the street.
    Random voices just be saying "that old lady cracka is 10 points'..."the kid is 50 points"....and so on.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope

WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED.
  • sweetheart93
    sweetheart93 Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED.

That my parents didn't raise me to be racist? Is that a bad thing? :/
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    other than calling white folks peckawoods... my grandma didn't have a racist bone in her body..
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, they did.
  • Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How can a black be a racist? What system do we have in place that hinders a person from achieving anything, strips people of their cultural identity and replace it with a byword? Where do we systematically dehumanize nations of people and reduce them to cattle or 3/5ths of a human being?

It's humanly impractical for blacks to exercise the white created system of racism. If there was ever a time where we were suddenly in a position on the world stage to be able to do something on par to racism we fa damn sho wouldn't call it "racism"... more like "a recompense of righteous indignation"

Now.. outside of that there, I was raised to to love and build with my own people exclusively. I have never lived among nor befriended white people before. The only dealings I have with white people is usually monetary (whites handing me my change/or an exchange over the counter)
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    nope, wasn't raised that way. especially when there are PLENTY of reasons to hate people that have NOTHING to do with race at all.
    Rahlow wrote: »
    How can a black be a racist? What system do we have in place that hinders a person from achieving anything, strips people of their cultural identity and replace it with a byword? Where do we systematically dehumanize nations of people and reduce them to cattle or 3/5ths of a human being?
    well, it starts with being racist not being dependent on any system and goes from there

side note: i think you missed the point of the whole 3/5ths thing
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, they aren't hateful or self-sacrosanct people by nature. Even the great-grandparents, who would have every right to be vengeful, if they chose to harbor that ? .
  • REV_RAGE
    REV_RAGE Members Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was raised racist, it made it easier not to be, I kind of always had the colorblindness of a child. As I grew older I rationalized racism out of my mind, though I could revert as I was raised by some gems of racism, I am human and in anger I do focus on stereotypical ? . It's a choice whether to act out on it or accept it's just another human being doing some ? ? , which we are all capable of.
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My Grams told me not bring a whitegirl home. Besides that everything was cool.