Allen Iverson Set To Retire, What Will His Legacy Be To You?

Options
Billy_Poncho
Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9590395/allen-iverson-set-retire-nba-report

Allen Iverson, an 11-time All-Star who has not played in the NBA since 2010, is prepared to officially announce his retirement in the coming days, SlamOnline.com reports.

According to the report, the 38-year-old Iverson has come to terms with the fact that his playing career is finished. He has not played professionally since 2011 in Turkey.

Allen Iverson reportedly is set to officially announce his retirement from the NBA.
On his bobblehead night in Philadelphia in March, Iverson indicated he still hoped to return to the NBA. Just two months earlier, he turned down an opportunity to launch a comeback in the NBA Development League.

Iverson also previously rebuffed opportunities to sign lucrative deals in China, instead eyeing a return to the NBA.

Considered one of the best pound-for-pound scorers in NBA history, Iverson -- listed at under 170 pounds for much of his career -- averaged 26.7 points and 6.2 assists during his 14-year career that included stops with the Philadelphia 76ers, Denver Nuggets and Memphis Grizzlies.

"He might be the greatest athlete I've ever seen," Larry Brown, Iverson's coach from 1997-2003 with the 76ers, told Slam. "I don't think there'll be another one like him."

Iverson, a former No. 1 overall pick out of Georgetown, was the 1997 Rookie of the Year, the 2001 MVP, a three-time All-NBA First-Team selection and a four-time scoring champion.

Iverson led the Sixers to the 2001 NBA Finals and is firmly cemented as one of the franchise's all-time greats. He is the franchise leader in 40-point games (76) and 3-pointers (885), and is second behind Hal Greer in points (19,931).

In recent years, Iverson also has made headlines off the court. In December, divorce filings revealed he had serious financial issues.

Comments

• manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He'll go down as a top 10 pg of all time and the only ? to ever put Jordan on notice. I mean, this ? embarrassed the GOAT on a crossover...twice
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he'll go down as one of the greatest players ever and probably the toughest player ever pound for pound; but sadly they always going to bring up that damn press conference about practice when talking about his legacy
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    top 35 player all time, maybe would be higher but pierce and dirk and maybe some others have passed him on the all time list becasue of their longevity, he has nobody to blame but himself for the way his career ended
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    great player.. he played for the pistons too
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i will remember him by his fans who who post the gif of him putting a move on jordan and swear he just needs one more shot. on the right team. with the right coach. with the right teammates. in the right system. and that the nba implemented the zone defense just to stop him.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He could score alot.

? that ?
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    detcatinva wrote: »
    top 35 player all time, maybe would be higher but pierce and dirk and maybe some others have passed him on the all time list becasue of their longevity, he has nobody to blame but himself for the way his career ended

Iverson did have longevity, he was a superstar player from 97-08 that's pretty impressive...he just couldn't stay in the league to put up avg numbers like Pierce,Kg,Ray,Kidd ect.. to pad his all time stats like they did.... Iverson is a top 10 player in my eyes idc what nobody says, one of the most Iconic,realest and talented player the nba ever seen
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My favorite player of all-time. Top 5 skill-wise in my book.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Matt- wrote: »
    i will remember him by his fans who who post the gif of him putting a move on jordan and swear he just needs one more shot. on the right team. with the right coach. with the right teammates. in the right system. and that the nba implemented the zone defense just to stop him.

Basically. AI is one of those players I ended up hating on a lot just because stans went overboard. Fearless player who left it all on the court and could score in a lot of ways. Reinvented the crossover and was one of the most interesting personalities in sports. Didn't make his team better IMO but he did have to carry most of the wack ass squads he was on. 2001 was a crazy season for him. Definitely a HOF career
  • Matt-
    Options
    Matt- wrote: »

Basically. AI is one of those players I ended up hating on a lot just because stans went overboard. Fearless player who left it all on the court and could score in a lot of ways. Reinvented the crossover and was one of the most interesting personalities in sports. Didn't make his team better IMO but he did have to carry most of the wack ass squads he was on. 2001 was a crazy season for him. Definitely a HOF career

yeah, in all honesty, Iverson was one of my favorite players from that era, actually, he probably was my favorite. but after he left philly, i didn't really care for him.
  • Carthaginian
    Carthaginian Members Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    One of the toughest guys I've ever seen play. I really started to appreciate him when he played on the Nuggets. I remember the line being that he couldn't co-exist with Carmelo..and he did for a time

(edited for accuracy. Original post had misinformation)
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Freudian wrote: »
    One of the toughest guys I've ever seen play. I really started to appreciate him when he played on the Nuggets. I remember the line being that he couldn't co-exist with Carmelo..but the Nuggets (arguably) had a higher level of success with him there than they did after he left

Word them first round exits that didnt come to an end until he got traded
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Supremely talented, gritty, streetball style nikka that could've been so much better and had a longer, more fruitful career if he would've thought more like a athlete and less like a mixtape rapper.

Dat about it.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh, shot a lot to get a lot of points. Selfish player, did'nt make his team mates better and all that thug ? , did'nt give a ? about that either
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh, shot a lot to get a lot of points. Selfish player, did'nt make his team mates better and all that thug ? , did'nt give a ? about that either

c'mon son... what thug ? ? cornrows? lol...
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »

Nah bruh

• Matt-
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »

c'mon son

e6Ysh.jpg
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Was the biggest name in the league when Mike put the ball down.
  • Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My All Time Favorite player....