So Ben Affleck is going to play Batman

Options

Comments

• jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I heard affleck has stepped up his acting game as of late. I guess after the movie gigli, he had to reevaluate his life.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Heath Ledger was a better joker then Jack Nicholson. I will reserve judgement, but when did Affleck become a good actor?
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    His career as an actor and overall filmmaker did a complete 180 after Daredevil. He really had to show and prove and he did to the point that he's become one of the most universally acclaimed filmmakers of the past 6 years. The guy is much more experienced now than he was when he made Daredevil. He won't be recreating previous mistakes. Those people sleeping on him now will end up eating their words. Icing on the cake would be to get Damon as Luthor.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    I dont hate the idea of Affleck being batman. I just wasnt expecting it. Daredevil was a ? film but that can be blamed on everything from the writing and the screenplay you cant put that all on him.

Affleck is a comic dude. I expect him to take this role pretty seriously considering he has to follow up Bales batman.

EVERYBODY criticized heath ledger when he was cast as the joker, but look how that turned out. He blew everyone away.

Affleck has had a pretty good track record for movies these recent years too. Especially with the ones he's directed they have all been great imo. If the writing is gonna be good i think he's going to be able to pull it off.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    good for Ben to take on the role with still no ? given about what the internet will think of him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2LpJAD5AqQ
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bumped into the resident dc fanboy at work this morning,turns out I was the one who broke the news to him.the look on his face went from morning joy to one of despair in a second.I saw a single tear drop from his eye and then he mumbled something like "? Ben Affleck" and just walked away.pretty sure I ruined his day and it wasn't even breakfast yet.

lol @ no-one being able to give a justifiable reason for the hate,"he ruined daredevil" yes because he was the sole reason why that film was ? (anyone who's seen the directors cut will attest there's a a decent film in there somehwhere) bunch of ? princesses.

unexpected for him to take a role of this size considering the path his career has taken but he's more than a competent choice.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Heath ledger as joker

Anne Hathaway as cat women

I think people should just wait and see, sometimes the wrong choice could turn out being the best for those roles
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you can take it back as far as keaton.fanboys were not happy with that choice originally and look how that turned out.
  • ThatPigskinGuy007
    ThatPigskinGuy007 Members Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Options
    Won't be able to top C.Bale. I wish C.Bale would of continued the series. But ? it, Lets hope Ben does atleast a decent job, i hope its not like when George Clooney played batman, that ? was HORRIBLE!!!!!
  • CitySojourner
    CitySojourner Members Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Heath Ledger was a better joker then Jack Nicholson. I will reserve judgement, but when did Affleck become a good actor?

Never! People convince themselves that he's a good actor because he's putting himself in good movies he's directing. I sat through Argo thinking to myself this is a good movie, but would be alot better with a different lead. Affleck has the acting chops of a 2x4. Don't believe the hype!!! Good director, but still not a good actor and unlike Ledger he won't be proving anybody wrong.

And to the dude that said he got a good performance out of Blake Lively gtfoh!!! ? was overacting. The only reason he kept her on was because she was his jumpoff behind the scenes.
  • CitySojourner
    CitySojourner Members Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Remember his career turnaround happened only after he started directing movies, even up until now it's never been because of his acting. When's the last time he gave an above average performance in anything? A good director doesn't equal a good actor...ask Tarantino.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Yeah that's another thing. One of his best friends in the movie business is also one of the biggest Batman nerds on the net. The Fatman on Batman podcast voice. This guy grew up reading comic books something West, Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney and Bale didn't really do. I don't know call me crazy but I have faith. Daredevil was bad because of the writer/director.

christian-bale-critics-choice-10-01-2013-9.jpg

If they announced Jon Hamm as Lex Luthor (he's worked with both Snyder and Affleck) this movie will be good money. This is the type of casting they needed to do in order for this Batman to stand out on his own coming so soon after TDKT.

Bryant Cranston worked with Ben Affleck too. Oh man, were gonna see either don draper or heisenberg against Superman. You know they're still debating it. It's telling that they announced Batman casting BEFORE Lex.

Personally Im hyped. And if Affleck directs Justice League from it, all the better. I cant see him not being considered at least now.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lmao @ jon lovitz up in that pic looking like wtf am i doing here this stinks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im sure snyder knows what hes doing, i wanna see his vision for batman
    with affleck or without, iont care
  • young_belvi
    young_belvi Members Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just can't see Ben pulling off a great batman, hell I saw what he did to Daredevil. I guess it could be worse, they could have got ol wise cracking ? Ryan Reynolds. I kinda like his acting, but dude just goes over the top with the sarcasm and jokes.
  • Broddie
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »

Never! People convince themselves that he's a good actor because he's putting himself in good movies he's directing. I sat through Argo thinking to myself this is a good movie, but would be alot better with a different lead. Affleck has the acting chops of a 2x4. Don't believe the hype!!! Good director, but still not a good actor and unlike Ledger he won't be proving anybody wrong.

And to the dude that said he got a good performance out of Blake Lively gtfoh!!! ? was overacting. The only reason he kept her on was because she was his jumpoff behind the scenes.

Tommy Wisseau in The Room is overacting. Shatner's "KHAAAAAN!!" is overacting. What Blake Lively did was play a convincing junkie ? . Maybe because she is one in real life? I don't know but it's easily the highlight of her career. Ben Affleck didn't direct one below average performance in that entire movie. That's my point. He's a much more balanced director than Snyder that way. Snyder gets at least one or 2 mediocre performances even from great actors. Look at how dull Amy Adams' Lois Lane was and she's one of the best actresses in hollywood today.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Remember his career turnaround happened only after he started directing movies, even up until now it's never been because of his acting. When's the last time he gave an above average performance in anything? A good director doesn't equal a good actor...ask Tarantino.

Watch Hollywoodland. To call his performance as George Reeves less than average is just straight up hating if you really know anything about good acting.

I'm not even the biggest fan of the guy (never really had a problem with him either) but some of the overreactions to this news are just hilarious. He may not be Daniel Day Lewis but the guy is a serviceable actor and a much better actor today than he was 10 years ago. Then again some of you ? as well as many other people on the net wanted to see CW TV actors as Batman so this doesn't really surprise me.

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I think its an interesting choice. My only issue is that he has already portrayed both Daredevil and Superman in the past. I'm tired of this trend of the same actor playing multiple different Superheroes.

Chris Evans as both The Human Torch AND Captain America...
    Ryan Reynolds as both Deadpool AND The Green Lantern...
    Halle Berry as both Storm AND Catwoman...

You get one shot, let someone else have a turn.
  • thefabmd2dc
    thefabmd2dc Members Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    an overrated actor but goat director playing batman?
    Failure try again
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0QWdnhW9jM

Fanboy going H.A.M.
  • starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    darkone360 wrote: »
    I'll reserve my judgement until I see the trailer. Folks was up in arms when Heath Ledger got casted to play the Joker (me included.

How did that turn out again?

Heath Ledger is actually a good actor though ...when was the last time you were impressed by a Ben Affleck performance ?
  • IamNumberOne
    IamNumberOne Members Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i hope they portray Batman with the cape that covers his whole body drags on the floor
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He'll be alright