Take a Look at Xbox One's Controller Improvements

Options

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    It's not that it's not a carbon copy it's about following the new standard to make your product even better. Analog stick in the primary position has been the standard for over a decade now. The s-type and GC pad for example couldn't be any more different but both were still very comfortable to play 3D games with in long term sessions because of the stick placement in comparison to DS2. Even the Vita follows that philosphy while the 3DS wisely got rid of having a d pad in the primary position altogether. Having a d pad in that area in 2013 doesn't really make sense but Sony is stubborn that way so it is what it is.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well I've only played Sony systems for the past few years and I've found no problem with the setup. That said, I play a lot of fighting games using the D-pad, so I'm much happier having that in the primary position. That's why I say it's not a legit complaint. Basically, you got used to controllers coming in one form and you're saying that the DS2 was bad because it wasn't of the form that you had become accustomed too. In other words, it's not a problem with the merits of the controller. It's more a case of it not fitting your preference.
  • Broddie
    Options
    I've always played fighting games with joysticks so that isn't really relevant to me. When did I say it was bad? I said compared to it's competition it was lackluster. It obviously didn't keep me from buying a PS2 a bad controller on the other hand would keep me from buying a console altogether (I'm looking at you ATARI Jaguar). That wasn't it's only design flaw though so it's merits were indeed questionable. Many other gamers have said the same ? .
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i get what monk is saying now.. he has never experiecend the streamlined-ness (if thats a word) of a XBox 360 controller, so therefore it doesnt bother him cuz he doesnt know what he's missing
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »
    i get what monk is saying now.. he has never experiecend the streamlined-ness (if thats a word) of a XBox 360 controller, so therefore it doesnt bother him cuz he doesnt know what he's missing

More or less, yes that's true.

Assuming, that I one day played with the 360 controller and found it to be better. That doesn't mean that the PS3 controller has intrinsic faults. It just means that the 360 controller is better.

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    The XBOX One controller is literally perfect tho. There is not one single thing that can be said negatively about it. That's just what that is. The PS4 controller made a lot of needed improvements, but the analogs are still too close and that will continue to be a negative against it yet again this gen. Not to mention a big, pointless, always on blue light that will continuously glow for no reason because no one has or will ever own a PS Eye.

Can't wait to test out the trigger rumble on the XBOX One.

Was the rumor that the XB1 takes external batteries true? Because if so, that's a negative in my opinion.

You have the option of using either swappable AA batteries or rechargeables...which is the way it should be. There are benefits to both so its nice to have the choice. So, no negatives.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    are you guys serious tho? they FINALLY fixing the analogs on the playtion after 3 iterations and now yall think its goat? FOH .. ps4 controller does looks good tho lol

They did more than that. They fixed the analogs and R2/L2 buttons, improved the build, rumble function, and shape of the controller and added a share button and a headset port. On top of that they gave it extra functionality that can enhance gameplay. The touchpad, speaker, and light bar have all been stated to be things that will likely be used in clever ways in games.

that wasnt what i was getting at.. i get that they changed alot of things... that should have been changed on the ps3 controller....

That doesn't make sense. There were no complaints with the PS2 controller. Shoulder triggers weren't available on them so they could not have been improved when they came on the PS3. They were regular buttons. Complaints started after people started comparing it to the 360's, they were already produced at that time.

That's a lie. C'mon bro I remember you posting in here along with your brother (RIP) back when PS2/XBOX/GC were the current consoles. You gonna tell me you never saw how many times some people especially Big C used to rip on the PS2 controller not having a stick in the primary spot like the GC pad and the type S controller?

Me myself I've been spoiled since the Dreamcast with an analog stick in the primary spot and never really looked back. Having a D-pad there just seems ancient and unintuitive and it's been my only gripe with playing on Playstation after the year 2000. With that said I'm looking forward to seeing what the DS4 is like outside of that and this Xbox controller sounds pretty dope too.

LMAO .........Broddie you just went wayyyyyyyyyyyyy back!!! Damn

But no, I never used to post in here them times. Wasn't into gaming like I am now. Actually got back into it a few months after he died when I saw a GOW commercial and went out and got it.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's the primary position? One of your all hands deformed and the left hand shaped different to your right?
  • Broddie
    edited August 2013
    Options
    It's just gripping the gamepad from the side and not from the bottom. I have regular hands and even though I always played N64 and had a Dual Shock in '98 having the main analog stick on the top instead of the bottom of the controller made it more comfortable in the long run to game. With the analog stick where the d pad is it gives you even more precision with 3D games (Ie: platformers, adventure games, shooters, sports). For people with bigger hands it's also more practical especially since it's a smaller controller compared to what the other guys have.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I've always found the Xbox controller to be more comfortable to hold compared to any of PS controllers.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    The XBOX One controller is literally perfect tho. There is not one single thing that can be said negatively about it. That's just what that is. The PS4 controller made a lot of needed improvements, but the analogs are still too close and that will continue to be a negative against it yet again this gen. Not to mention a big, pointless, always on blue light that will continuously glow for no reason because no one has or will ever own a PS Eye.

Was the rumor that the XB1 takes external batteries true? Because if so, that's a negative in my opinion.

You have the option of using either swappable AA batteries or rechargeables...which is the way it should be. There are benefits to both so its nice to have the choice. So, no negatives.

Nah, that's a negative. What benefit do you get from that?
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've always found the Xbox controller to be more comfortable to hold compared to any of PS controllers.
    Its the opposite for me. The shape of the 360 controller makes it hard to keep a comfortable grip and the button is too close to the start button so my finger slips onto the start button easily. People kept thinking I was pushing the start button purposely.
  • focus
    Options

From...choice?
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The benefit you get is the option to stay wireless at all times. Battery dies, put it on charge and put another one in. No need to be wired.

Also, rechargeable batteries don't last forever.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »

The benefit you get is the option to stay wireless at all times. Battery dies, put it on charge and put another one in. No need to be wired.

I guess that's an issue if you stay on the game 24/7. I've had my PS3 for 5 years and the controllers still get ~6 hours of gameplay before I need to charge. To me having the internal battery and the ability to charge the controller even when the system is off is sufficient.

A pointless option is a pointless option. It would be dumb to spend money constantly spending money on nonrechargeable batteries, so anyone with sense is going to go the rechargeable route. Even if you go that route, you're going to have to buy the really expensive ones to get the performance that you get from the standard wireless controllers we already have because the cheaper ones degrade pretty fast. I don't know. To me it's a neutral. I rather have a controller with a good battery included that can be charged while I'm not playing and will last me the life of my system over a controller where I have to buy my own battery all for the tradeoff of being able to switch out batteries if needed despite the fact that with any reasonable amount of play, it's not really necessary to do that.

Now I fully admit that if you routinely stay on the game for half the day, this is a better option.
  • focus
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »

I guess that's an issue if you stay on the game 24/7. I've had my PS3 for 5 years and the controllers still get ~6 hours of gameplay before I need to charge. To me having the internal battery and the ability to charge the controller even when the system is off is sufficient.

A pointless option is a pointless option. It would be dumb to spend money constantly spending money on nonrechargeable batteries, so anyone with sense is going to go the rechargeable route. Even if you go that route, you're going to have to buy the really expensive ones to get the performance that you get from the standard wireless controllers we already have because the cheaper ones degrade pretty fast. I don't know. To me it's a neutral. I rather have a controller with a good battery included that can be charged while I'm not playing and will last me the life of my system over a controller where I have to buy my own battery all for the tradeoff of being able to switch out batteries if needed despite the fact that with any reasonable amount of play, it's not really necessary to do that.

Now I fully admit that if you routinely stay on the game for half the day, this is a better option.

Pointless option to you.

At the end of the day, the XBOX controller provides either option...so it cannot be seen as a negative in any way.

The XBOX One controller is perfection.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I cant believe you ? are still in debate... ill give you the Xbox hamburger controller but the 360 controller >>> ps3 and by the looks of the new ones aint ? changing
  • Broddie
    Options
    I cant believe you ? are still in debate... ill give you the Xbox hamburger controller but the 360 controller >>> ps3 and by the looks of the new ones aint ? changing

That ? was a nightmare. So much so that I waited a year later for the S-type controller to be packaged with the console before I bought one. Once it was though, ? was gravy on a turkey leg. So good it set the design standard for the 360 and Xbox One controllers.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    since when have the certified microsoft rechargeable batteries been "really expensive" ? 20? really expensive?
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really dont like wireless controllers so I will be getting a wired one eventually
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really dont like wireless controllers so I will be getting a wired one eventually

Why not?
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I hope they have the rechargeable cable for the rechargeable battery.
  • IamNumberOne
    IamNumberOne Members Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

really? i use to hate havin to leave the controller down if i had to go grab a drink or use the bathroom.... idk maybe it was a control thing....."you got next if I lose!" i use to hate restartin the game and it wasnt where i left it...felt like i missed something