Any thoughts on Goodie Mob AAM

luke1733
luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in Reviewably Incorrect
Think they'll be relevant or not? I know it's not a classic and it's not a great cd but I'll say it's a 6 out of 10. I think Cee-Lo was featured a little too much and T-Mo and Khujo had some of the better flows and should have led more and done some of the choruses. Considering they've been gone for too long to almost remember I have to say in comparing them to other rap comebacks of almost a 15 year disappearance it's good. But realistically, who else been gone for 15 years and returned and who cares? I think they did succeed in trying to bring a new sound. It doesn't sound like their old stuff. They stayed conscious. They wavered on the pop (probably shouldn't say pop) line with some good band beats, some okay/weak electric type house beats and Lady Killer type choruses, but the content was strong. I'm a say these are the best raps/songs and I hate to say songs when talking about a rap cd: Kolors (good rap song, but not enough like these on cd), U don't know what you got, the both of me(wanted to hear more songs where the flow kept going like this), I'm set, Father Time and maybe southern girl. I kept waiting for them to lyrically ? a song or keep rapping at least but the cd was in between a lot of singing and then some rap and then some dance beats. Plus, I had to rearrange that playlist and delete some songs and then say it sounded good.
I do think the sales are gonna be there for this cd if you talking like 200,000. I'll be surprised if it goes gold.
Since they from ATL I'm go out on some stupid sh** and write what the track list shoulda been or be if you getting it off amazon from the deluxe:1,5,6,13,4,2,18,10,17,7,8,15,16,20

Comments

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm not checking for it.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Gave a couple listens over the last few days and its just not the same vibe as before. You can clearly tell Cee-Lo was the executive producer. Had somebody from Organized Noize been behind it, it wouldnt sound the way it does. There are a few moments where they show vintage Goodie Mob/DF but not nearly enough. The 3/4 skits and no appearances from anybody in DF other than Big Rube definitely didnt help either. Not sure what their agenda was with this.

3 Mics
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    Not feeling this much at all, they should've called Rico Wade up for this one.

Only songs I'm feeling are "Pinstripes", "Father Time", "Special", and "Kolors" is decent.
    2.5 mics.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn Goobie Mob. this some ol' World Party ? . Disappointed in that one. well very disappointed in this.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't........ how you gonna be damn near 50 and reppin' blood get out of here with that gimmick.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like Ceelo put some throw away Gnarles Barkley tracks on there. 6/10 seems about right smh.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    This album is a disappointment no matter how you look at it. That said, it's not a bad album. If they called it what it was from the start and said that it was Cee-Lo doing an album with lots of appearances from the rest of Goodie Mob, it would have been cool. Passing this off as a Goodie Mob album though was just a bad move. It's almost like a slap to the face really because it's so obvious that half the album consists of songs from a Cee-Lo solo. Hell he's go two solo tracks and another one with a quick intro verse from Gipp.

Come on, how you going to go from Beautiful Skin to Amy.
  • gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad album, but definitely not what I expected and like others have said, pretty much a Cee-lo album with features from the rest of the MoB. No

I'm all for growing and creativity, but damn, I can't ? with that Gloria ? . I pretty much just listen to I'm Set, Special, Pinstripes, Father Time, Kolors is cool too
  • The Lonious Monk
    You don't like Valleujah? That one is tight too IMO.
  • gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valleujah is cool, it's actually only a couple songs I skip. The rest are tolerable and a few bangers. Not a bad album, just not a Goodie Mo album.

I shoulda known tho, Cee-lo was the highlight of all the interviews and promo. I hope they go back to the Dungeon tho, and grab Coolbreeze, Dre and Big Boi, Killer Mike, Sleepy Brown and give Big Rube some more shine
  • The Lonious Monk
    lol That Big Rube intro gets you hyped though. I swear you hear that and think the album is going to be Soul Food Pt. 2, and then it's not.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    This album is a disappointment no matter how you look at it. That said, it's not a bad album. If they called it what it was from the start and said that it was Cee-Lo doing an album with lots of appearances from the rest of Goodie Mob, it would have been cool. Passing this off as a Goodie Mob album though was just a bad move. It's almost like a slap to the face really because it's so obvious that half the album consists of songs from a Cee-Lo solo. Hell he's go two solo tracks and another one with a quick intro verse from Gipp.

Yeah, that Amy song and about 5 other songs could have been deleted. We really don't need another black man going crazy over a white girl and singing about it. I get the sensationalism or whatever shock value he wanted to put out, but a rich black man wanting a white woman is almost cliche.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator

LOL ? I couldnt believe what I was listening to when I heard that ? .
  • southernmade
    southernmade Members Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    didnt sound like the same group I grew up listening to. I'm all about progression but they clearly lost their sound.....organized noise anyone?
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fat ? attempted to bring his homies to crossover-land like him, but forgot Goodie Mob is a revolutionary rap group. Wasted album budget. Wasted Reunion. #Fail
  • ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ceelo took too damn long.he killed the vibe