Nintendo President on PS4, Xbox One Launch Lineups: 'Meh'

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the encroaching next gen systems on the way, Nintendo’s president shares his thoughts.

During an interview with IGN, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime defended Wii U's value proposition for consumers this Fall.

As we reported earlier, Nintendo will cut the price of Wii U by $50 in the US starting September 20. So we asked Reggie what are the incentives for consumers to choose Nintendo, especially since their home console is $100 cheaper than its closest competitor.

“It’s all about the games. The competitive systems have announced their launch lineups. I’m allowed to say ‘Meh,’” Fils-Aime said. “I look at our lineup of titles and I feel good about our lineup. We’ve got Zelda. We’ve got Mario. We’ve got Donkey Kong. In addition to great titles like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101, I feel very good about our lineup, and I feel very good about the value proposition we’re putting out there for the consumer.”
The Wii U will be sold for $299.99 starting September 20.

But Nintendo’s competition is also adding new technologies to the home console experience. They are introducing services like cloud gaming, cross-platfrom play between handheld and home systems, the ability to buy a single game that can be shared on a home and handheld platforms. How does Nintendo plan to compete with those services?

In response, Fils-Aime continued to hammer the point that, in the end, all the consumer cares about is great games and great experiences. “We’ve got cloud technology that we’re delivering with Wii U. Nintendo TVii is all cloud-based technology. But the difference is, we don’t talk about the tech. We talk about the experience. We make sure that the consumer has fun with the game experiences that we provide, “ Fils-Aime told IGN. “And so I think as you compare and contrast Nintendo with other players in the space, for us it’s about games, about the fun, about the entertainment value, and not about the tech.”

Comments

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's got to have some hurt feelings if he's dropping the price of the Wii U!!!
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "We’ve got Zelda. We’ve got Mario. We’ve got Donkey Kong."

I've been playing them ? for 20+ years though!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nintendo needs to come out of their feelings... I love Zelda but it isn't worth 300 bucks ..
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol Nintendo.

those were the days.. the same thing i use to say about a walkman, dialup internet, and supersoakers

Was a die hard back in the day though..
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If nintendo is not very careful they will wnd up just like sega
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    If nintendo is not very careful they will wnd up just like sega

Nah it will never be that bad.
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nintendo needs to stick to hand-helds until they can build something that could compete in this era of gaming.
    But I agree with him on the launch title lineups.
    Both PS4 and Xbox One are looking fairly weak though; not just Xbox One.
    They're releasing practically the same ? but Xbox One is weak and PS4 isn't?
    ? outta here.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I only play Zelda. Haven't played ? else on Nintendo since Golden Eye.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? need to quit acting like XBOX One and PS4 have similar launches though. There is big difference between this...

Killer Instinct
    Peggle 2
    Ryse: Son of Rome
    Crimson Dragon
    Dead Rising 3
    Forza Motorsport 5
    Lococycle
    Powerstar Golf
    Fighter Within
    Zoo Tycoon

and this...

Knack
    Octodad
    Killzone 4
    Drive Club
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Reggie is Sion LOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOL.

I still ? with Nintendo and as much as folks think they losing they aren't they released a system that is perhaps not even on par with the last console gen and they still manage to sell a few million, they see these new consoles will be released and now they lower they prices to sell afew more is a smart move.

few yrs from now they'll pull that move again and so on
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

With the encroaching next gen systems on the way, Nintendo’s president shares his thoughts.

During an interview with IGN, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime defended Wii U's value proposition for consumers this Fall.

As we reported earlier, Nintendo will cut the price of Wii U by $50 in the US starting September 20. So we asked Reggie what are the incentives for consumers to choose Nintendo, especially since their home console is $100 cheaper than its closest competitor.

“It’s all about the games. The competitive systems have announced their launch lineups. I’m allowed to say ‘Meh,’” Fils-Aime said. “I look at our lineup of titles and I feel good about our lineup. We’ve got Zelda. We’ve got Mario. We’ve got Donkey Kong. In addition to great titles like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101, I feel very good about our lineup, and I feel very good about the value proposition we’re putting out there for the consumer.”

But Nintendo’s competition is also adding new technologies to the home console experience. They are introducing services like cloud gaming, cross-platfrom play between handheld and home systems, the ability to buy a single game that can be shared on a home and handheld platforms. How does Nintendo plan to compete with those services?

In response, Fils-Aime continued to hammer the point that, in the end, all the consumer cares about is great games and great experiences. “We’ve got cloud technology that we’re delivering with Wii U. Nintendo TVii is all cloud-based technology. But the difference is, we don’t talk about the tech. We talk about the experience. We make sure that the consumer has fun with the game experiences that we provide, “ Fils-Aime told IGN. “And so I think as you compare and contrast Nintendo with other players in the space, for us it’s about games, about the fun, about the entertainment value, and not about the tech.”

focus wrote: »
    ? need to quit acting like XBOX One and PS4 have similar launches though. There is big difference between this...

Killer Instinct
    Peggle 2
    Ryse: Son of Rome
    Crimson Dragon
    Dead Rising 3
    Forza Motorsport 5
    Lococycle
    Powerstar Golf
    Fighter Within
    Zoo Tycoon

and this...

Knack
    Octodad
    Killzone 4
    Drive Club

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus finds the time to defend MS in a wii u thread
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Octodad

I thought you were joking about this one; Never heard of this ? , so I thought you were dissing some game. It's actually real....smh
    Both PS4 and Xbox One are looking fairly weak though; not just Xbox One.
    They're releasing practically the same ? but Xbox One is weak and PS4 isn't?
    ? outta here.
    What the hell are you talking about or reading? Where did it say that Xbox One's launch looked weaker than PS4? He said "meh" to both of them.