Beyonce, Diana Ross of this generation

Options
Muhannad
Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you think about it after Bey dropped her debut solo album afround a decade ago she shut the competition down. After she dropped all the black or mixed solo r & b girls (your Mya's, Amerie's etc.) careers dwindled. No matter how raunchy they got, how scantily clad they became, how many rappers they had on their cd's, they couldn't sustain. Some tried to diss Bey like Keri Hilson but that didn't work out for her. It only made her look petty and desperate.
The only one that had a career after Beyone dropped is Alicia Keyes. She kinda fell off after people found out she had a limited range, strained/ yelled alot and that fake feminist woman power image was shattered after her affair with a married Swizz. Beyonce shut all competition down. No black female r & b act could shine next to her.

Bey defined this generation's female r & b. For better or worse. Even associated acts like Kelly Rowland weren't able to shine next to Beyonce. What ya'll think the reason for her grip on the game was? Was it just talent or something else? I think it has to do with her drive and talent. She's been doing this since she was a child. Which other female is as versatile as her?

Comments

• trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    diana? she could mess around & be the next mj

my question is who's after beyonce?
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who knows why stars are made. Maybe it was destiny. haha
  • Muhannad
    Options

Good question. It's hard to predict who'll define the genre after Bey takes a step back.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Muhannad X wrote: »

Good question. It's hard to predict who'll define the genre after Bey takes a step back.

There really isn't nobody. The current crop of artist that are out now don't really have much talent & the one's that do they have to take a backseat. All in all most the these artists won't be remember by 2033, & if they are it sure as hell won't be for they're music!!!
  • Muhannad
    Options
    Co sign. A talent like Beyonce comes around once in a lifetime.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its definitely the talent. The combination of looks, singing, & dancing is surprisingly unmatched after 2004.

Ashanti put up a fight for a little while. Chapter 2 and Dangerously in Love came out a week apart and Ashanti actually outsold Beyonce...that first week. It was all downhill after that album though.

Co-sign TS about Alicia Keys

But, Rihanna. Yea, you can hate, but she also could've just as easily been swept away by Hurricane Beyonce like all the others since she dropped one year after Beyonce, but she has weathered the storm. She's younger and has more hits than Beyonce. She will have it for awhile. I can't see see past Rihanna though.
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think best and most popular are rarely the same. B is more of a pop artist that dabbles in R&B. She is the Diana of our era because she put it together very well. I think it was more than hard work and talent tho.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Janelle Monae is more talented. She just doesn't have that mainstream appeal.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    Janelle Monae is more talented. She just doesn't have that mainstream appeal.

Talented at what, damn sure ain't vocally, dancing or performing. She ain't even on Lauryn Hills level much less Beyonce, she don't even make better music than Badu.
  • miss7deadlysinz
    miss7deadlysinz Members Posts: 30
    Options
    Man I 'unno man, I can't see this girl getting knocked for now, [popularity wise]

rihanna-net-worth.jpg
  • Muhannad
    Options
    Rihanna's cool but I left her out deliberately. Rihanna gets by on her image. She represents alot of the youth tghese days. She's kinda weak vocally, doesn't dance exceptionally well and isn't the best performer. The media makes her bigger than she should be based on talent. She's 'sexually liberated', linked to alot of celebs and is in the news for her drug abuse and drama outside of the music more than her music. Besides that was Rihanna ever brought as an r & b artist. She started off with that pop-dancehall sound with "Pon de replay" or whatever and then made pop tracks.

Bey's one of the best performers. Ya'll saw how she went on to perform after that fan tried to pulol her off stage. No matter if fans ? her, pull her or her weave gets stuck in a fan, she goes on like nothing happened. Whenever she does interviews you never hear or see her do anything out of the ordinary. She's so professional she's like a robot.
  • xmp85
    xmp85 Members Posts: 33
    Options
    Beyonce is the best female singer/performer of this generation! hands down!
  • xmp85
    xmp85 Members Posts: 33
    Options
    If anybody needs quality production/beats for any new upcoming projects, be sure to check out my website xmpbeats.com!
  • miss7deadlysinz
    edited October 2013
    Options
    @Muhannad x, both Beyonce-denial-on-her-Instagram-1896198.jpg

rihanna_denim.jpeg

have been overrated, for more than their talent, (sex appeal) . I just think peep's feel that they can relate more to one [as a person], than the other.

• Muhannad
    Options
    @miss7deadlysinz Are you seriously comparing Rihanna to Beyonce? I can kinda see why you would say both of them are overrated, BUT Bey shut all competition down when she went solo a decade ago (check my posts earlier). No female black or mixed r & b artists could shine after she dropped. Bey didn't make Bow Down for nothing.

Bey can sing unlike Rihanna. Bey can dance way better than Rihanna. Bey can outperform Rihanna any day. Bey's way more professional than Rihanna. Rihanna gets by because of her 'slutty' or sexually liberated image. B*tch can't sing, not an exceptional dancer like Ciara and not that good of a performer. She's like a singing version of Kim Kardashian. The media made her.
  • miss7deadlysinz
    Options
    @miss7deadlysinz Are you seriously comparing Rihanna to Beyonce?

No I'm not. You're doing that, by comparing just one artist to practically everybody, in the industry
    I can kinda see why you would say both of them are overrated, BUT Bey shut all competition down when she went solo a decade ago (check my posts earlier). No female black or mixed r & b artists could shine after she dropped. Bey didn't make Bow Down for nothing.

Bey can sing unlike Rihanna. Bey can dance way better than Rihanna. Bey can outperform Rihanna any day. Bey's way more professional than Rihanna. Rihanna gets by because of her 'slutty' or sexually liberated image. B*tch can't sing, not an exceptional dancer like Ciara and not that good of a performer. She's like a singing version of Kim Kardashian. The media made her.

There are other's who have had, or still have,bigger voices in the industry

whitney-houston-i-will-always-love-you-cd-with-5-track-bonus-cd_pf-222687_xp_0.jpeg

websitebanner.jpg

4_1.jpg

Or have or still are great or better performers

7f7aa1434f8381a0d8413e0986e5ff73_normal.jpeg

4c0cf411360071c9f0ba5e806418b351_normal.jpeg

MJ_Image_normal.jpg

And who has or can shut down the music industry, when it comes to competition

5beaa8ba6d11597cca3ebccac3a0f445_normal.png

The list can go on and on. To me there isn't just one great or good, or like able artist, who the public favor.
    Or they could be just liked for controversy.
  • Garv*
    Garv* Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    Options
    @miss7deadlysinz Are you seriously comparing Rihanna to Beyonce? I can kinda see why you would say both of them are overrated, BUT Bey shut all competition down when she went solo a decade ago (check my posts earlier). No female black or mixed r & b artists could shine after she dropped. Bey didn't make Bow Down for nothing.

? acting like Alicia Keys didn't win like 5 grammies off her first album, ? ? stop exaggerating.
  • Garv*
    Options
    And i know that was before Beyonces debut but she was still going multi platinum after that.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She has a modicum of talent but it's mostly her body. I don't see anything special about Beyoncé personally.
  • Muhannad
    Options
    @miss7deadlysinz Read the op again. We're not talking about who had the best voice. The thread was about how Bey shut all competition down after she went solo a decade ago. After she went solo, all your female black or mixed r & b artists faded to the background. All your Mya's, Amerie's etc. faded into obscurity. These are undisputable facts.

@Garv* Bey makes uptempo r & b pop while A. Keyes mainly makes slower r & b soul tracks. While Bey has a voice, she also dances and performs. A. Keyes doesn't dance or perform like that. It's hard to compare them to eachother. WhenI said Bey shut all comp down I was referring to black or mixed r & b acts who also made uptempo joints and danced like Mya.
    Speaking of A. Keyes, she did fall off a little bit in recent years.
  • Garv*
    Options
    The likes of Mya and Kelis were never multi platinum selling artists really, there wasn't much competition to shut down.
  • Muhannad
    Options
    Could be but you can't deny they had hits. They had their sh*t played on radio stations. All you Mya's, Ameries, Kelis and even Christina Milians. After Bey went solo they all faded to obscurity. Just admit to that fact and KIM.
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most pop r&b singers don't have long careers. Look at Monica & Brandy they were irrelevant for a while and came back different and never regained their previous popularity. The falloff was before B.
  • miss7deadlysinz
    Options
    @muhannad x ok since you're not basing this on (vocal) talent but competition, than hands down to Rihanna, for at least being the most consistant / competitive, in snatching that crown, bald.

Secondly #bowdown was ? , it didn't go anywhere, if I remember correctly, #bodyparty did more hype, than that ? , the album 4, should be renamed 4gotten

And 3 nobody today gives a ? , this is not going to be a K.Dot, reaction thread.

Futhermore I'm done, with this fam
  • Muhannad
    Options
    Threads in this room generally don't do numbers anyway. That was never the intent of this thread.

It's all love though. I respect your opinion but I think we gotta agree to disagree on this one @miss7deadlysinz.