2»

Comments

• Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I'd fully support their dream, whatever it is
    Max. wrote: »
    Id be joe jackson
    Word.
    But there's another side to that coin tho..

You gotta beat they ass with extension cords when their 2-step aint on point
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, that would be the perfect teaching opportunity, let them know it's okay to dream big but don't forget to have a backup plan..... Just as long as he comes up with this at an appropriate age. He/she better not come at me with that pro athlete ? when he 30 yrs old.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I'd rather them choose a more secure profession
    Guess I'd be the only ? parent, but you're going to med school, chap. If you want to play ball or act, it'll be done on the side.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I would. My dad dropped mad cash for ANYTHING I was even remotely interested. He'd work overtime and everything to pay for these things.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    of course... the journey itself will prepare them for success in all avenues of life...
  • aka40Cal
    aka40Cal Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of Kevin Durant & his mom. He told his mom he really wanted to play basketball and she told him if he's serious about it then she'll support him but he has to practice, play, train almost everyday. She used to wake him up early on weekends for him work on his game and whatnot.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    CC_Poncho wrote: »
    BoldChild wrote: »
    He/she wont need a sports camp if they have the potential to become a professional athlete.

AAU and a decent coach is all they need.

(unless it's some niche sport)

These top level camps sometimes aren't so much about improvement as they are about exposure to recruiters/scouts.

Cosign, unless you are a star player or a very skilled player who hadn't been noticed yet AAU is a waste of time.
    not really, because if all the kids your age who are serious about your particular sport are all playing AAU, then it becomes a chance to compete against them, see what youre made of, and sharpen what ever skills you find yourself lacking in. also, its a birds eye view into all the hype that surrounds players. alot of these hyped up middle school and high school kids arent all that. 9 times out of 10 the ones who are being praised the most have avg skills sets but they have some other physical advantage, like being 6'4 in 7th or 8th grade. cats like lebron are like one in a trillion, then you have cats like kyrie irvin who you would have never heard of until his junior and senior year in high school. kyrie is one of those guys who you would have never noticed at an AAU tournament when he was in middle and early high school. he's one of those guys who showed up, seen cats wasnt all that, and did all the ? that he seen they werent good at.

but at the end of it all, to answer the thread, hell yeah you support it. you let them aim high and if they make it .... GOOD!! but if they dont, they still fit in somewhere close. maybe you dont go pro, but maybe you come back, get into coaching and make good money around the activities you love. thats better than just going to college on some business administration or criminal justice ? . so if youre kid doesnt have a dream, then you are in for big problems. its not even a question whether to support their dreams, that just makes parenting easier in this society.
  • niggasthesedays
    niggasthesedays Members Posts: 244 ✭✭
    No, I'd rather them choose a more secure profession
    Genetics prevent any outdoor activity
  • NIKE...
    NIKE... Members Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's my child..they have my support for almost anything except for ? and ?
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Heard Stage Moms Got Some Good ?
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    I would definitely support them. When youre talking about sports getting that full ride to College can open up a lot of doors. A kid I coached in youth Football just received offers from USF and FSU as a Soph. in HS. You cant beat that.

Point is even if they don't turn Pro, that education will be there for one of those more secure professions.
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CC_Poncho wrote: »
    BoldChild wrote: »
    He/she wont need a sports camp if they have the potential to become a professional athlete.

AAU and a decent coach is all they need.

(unless it's some niche sport)

These top level camps sometimes aren't so much about improvement as they are about exposure to recruiters/scouts.

Cosign, unless you are a star player or a very skilled player who hadn't been noticed yet AAU is a waste of time.

The rise of AAU basketball coincided with the Fab Five basketball recruiting class that led Michigan to consecutive Final Fours in the early 1990s.

Through it all, high school basketball always seemed to have its place in the recruiting business. Until recently, if there was a big-time prep recruit locally or nationally, coaches could still be seen walking the halls of a school, sitting in the stands of a game, dutifully taking notes.

That’s not the case now.

"If you are a player and you plan on playing basketball in college, you almost have to play AAU basketball," Utah Prospects coach Lynn Lloyd said. "In today’s world, scholarships are earned in the summer, not during the high school season. AAU and high school basketball coexist, and its nice to have them together. But the way coaches evaluate talent, it’s all AAU."