Connecticut teen committed that after first day of school because of bullying

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
By RYAN GORMAN

The family of 15-year-old Bart Palosz says he committed suicide after the first day of school because of bullying. The sophomore shot himself to death Wednesday only hours after the first day of his sophomore year at Greenwich High School in Connecticut. Family told local media that bullying led him to end his life. A series of posts on social media hinted at the teen’s depression, but family and friends were unaware until it was too late. A victim of relentless bullying, the troubled teen took his own life after earlier in the day pleading with his mother to let him stay home, according to the Connecticut Post. ‘It’s just a really horrific tragedy and I’m deeply saddened to hear of it,” Greenwich First Selectman Peter Tesei said during a Wednesday night news conference.

Bullies taunted him every day for the past 10 years, Bart’s sister Beata Palosz told the Post. From smashing a brand new cell phone on the floor, to bashing his head into a locker and pushing him into thorny bushes on a daily basis, the torture was unending – and Bart chose to stay silent. ‘He didn't make fun or make jokes about other people. That's where the bullying started because he was mature enough to let it happen and not say anything,’ Beata Palosz told the Post. Being taller than other students, having acne and an accent – the Palosz family immigrated from Poland 11 years ago – made life difficult for the teen.

When Bart Palosz brand new cell phone was smashed on the floor and he was pushed down a staircase at school, he did nothing. ‘Hey if I were to stab my eye out due to school caused insanity, who would miss me?’ Bart Palosz asked in a post on Google+ while putting a knife to his eye in a picture. ‘I would look at his computer sometimes because he left it unlocked sometimes and to check on him I would read his email,’ Beata Palosz told the paper. ‘He was talking about happy things. It seemed like he had friends to talk to. I didn't think I needed to look further.’

It was only after police alerted the family to the series of posts that they became aware of them, the Post reported.

‘I have chosen to go with 3 peoples (sic) advice and ? myself,’ he wrote in a now-deleted post, adding that he had just swallowed pills. ‘I just wish it was faster.’ That attempt was unsuccessful. ‘does anyone know if you can light a 12 gauge shotgun shell(slug not pellets) with a lighter?’ Bart Palosz asked on Google+ in July. The family brought the bullying to the school’s attention, but they do not believe proper action was taken, even declining to show surveillance video of an incident where Bart Palosz’s head was split open after being thrown into a locker, Beata told the Post.

Bart Palosz’s injuries required a visit to the hospital, the school called it an accident, his sister said.
‘It pretty much was, `Say you're sorry,' and that's it… I honestly do not think the school addressed the bullying. It could have saved him if they did.’ Citing the ongoing police investigation, Greenwich Public Schools are staying quiet, and have declined multiple media requests for comment. ‘I notice if I sound sad I'm normal and if I act happy, cheerful, and "normal" there is a high chance that I will try to poison myself, cut myself, commit suicide, or jump in front of a truck :)’ Bart Palosz posted to Google+ in July.

Despite the abuse, the family thought he had turned a corner in the past year, according to his sister. Having lost weight and even making some friends, they thought he was finally starting to fit in.

‘someone make sure if I ever die I get buried listening to this song,’ he posted only two weeks ago to Google+.

Bart Palosz wanted to study computer programming at New York University, his sister told the Post. Instead, a funeral is being held Friday and his heartbroken family will fly his body back to Poland for burial.

article-2407001-1B899389000005DC-757_634x290.jpg

article-2407001-1B8993D3000005DC-286_634x276.jpg

article-2407001-1B8993E4000005DC-622_634x623.jpg

Comments