The Ron Simmons Title Run of 1992

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator

Comments

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    His tittle run doesn't get really no mention cause of the fact that WCW didn't catch on til the mid 90's & the WWF @ the time was the end all be all of pro wrestling!!!
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didnt know he had even won the title until the late 90s or early 00s when Booker T won somebody mentioned to me that he was the 2nd black world champion, ? I had to ask who was the first lol
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Affirmative action title run

• Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RawAce wrote: »
    Affirmative action title run

quoted for truth.

I didn't listen to the video, so I don't know if it was mentioned, but I know there was a racial discrimination lawsuit against WCW at the time and in an attempt to justify the company wasn't racist, they put the belt on Ron. Bill Watts was the head of the company at the time and he was a known racist, but he had to bite his tongue and put the belt on a African American to save the company financial grief.

Yet, I remember Ron only being in tag matches in the middle of the show and wrestling dudes in stables, like The Dungeon of Doom (Cactus Jack, Abdullah the Butcher, The Barbarian, Kevin Sullivan), those types of kats, midcarders. Rick Rude wanted the belt, and attacked Ron after one of his matches or during an angle where he hurt Ron's shoulder. He eventually lost the title back to Vader on a shoulder breaker, I remember that clearly. And Ron was never in the title picture again, not even a program for a re-match.