Is MMG dead?

Comments

• tupacfan35
    tupacfan35 Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    Hell No
    sully wrote: »
    the only advantage they really have is higher charting singles, fat joe and pun went plat once and gold once with 12 albums between them, ross has gon gold on every album, wale went gold on ambition, self made 2 sold 270,000 to date outselling terror squad the album in a time where record sales are harder to come by and with no huge hits

Ross and Wale have shipped gold. They haven't sold gold on every album.

- 12 albums between Joe and Pun, but we're talking about Terror Squad when they were Terror Squad, i.e., everything prior to Pun's death (in which case we could probably exclude Joe's platinum album), but that still places them higher than an MMG, IMO, b/c of the big deal a Latin going platinum was. It was monumental and as a group they've been influential to the point where they've influenced and brought along enough artists that did their own thing (successfully or otherwise).

Joell Ortiz, DJ Khaled, Pitbull, Reggaeton Nore, Remy Martin, the continued relevance of Fat Joe post-TS, were all results of that short era of Terror Squad.

and like I said, MMG has had some appeal, selling gold on some of their albums, but a lot of that, like I referred to and others have mentioned, more likely a result of their independent grind than their affiliation with MMG.

The one thing about TS though, is that, unlike almost all those other labels, they actually were a group (with Fat Joe added later). Pun, Prospect, Cuban Link, Triple Seis, and I think Armageddon were the Full-A-Clipse crew before they got signed by Fat Joe, and even then, Joe seamlessly joined the group and actually sounded like he belonged.

Their group work on that first album and on Don Cartagena and Capital Punishment sounded like a cohesive group that was fluid with their lyrics, unlike most labels who put out group albums, where you can tell the mish-mash of sounds and styles are put together after the artists have already established their styles.

Geddy was not in the full a clipse crew and TS was a graffti crew before they became a rap group and record company.

See the interviews at

http://www.kronick.com/2.0/issue23/ts.shtml

http://www.kronick.com/2.0/issue23/ts-2.shtml
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh Maybe
    No such thing as selling gold.....riaa ONLY measures shipments
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell No
    And these "Ls" yall talkin bout, nobody outside of this forum talks about em.

Told mh homeboy that Gunplay got knocked out. He was like "who?"
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tupacfan35 wrote: »
    the only advantage they really have is higher charting singles, fat joe and pun went plat once and gold once with 12 albums between them, ross has gon gold on every album, wale went gold on ambition, self made 2 sold 270,000 to date outselling terror squad the album in a time where record sales are harder to come by and with no huge hits

Ross and Wale have shipped gold. They haven't sold gold on every album.

- 12 albums between Joe and Pun, but we're talking about Terror Squad when they were Terror Squad, i.e., everything prior to Pun's death (in which case we could probably exclude Joe's platinum album), but that still places them higher than an MMG, IMO, b/c of the big deal a Latin going platinum was. It was monumental and as a group they've been influential to the point where they've influenced and brought along enough artists that did their own thing (successfully or otherwise).

Joell Ortiz, DJ Khaled, Pitbull, Reggaeton Nore, Remy Martin, the continued relevance of Fat Joe post-TS, were all results of that short era of Terror Squad.

and like I said, MMG has had some appeal, selling gold on some of their albums, but a lot of that, like I referred to and others have mentioned, more likely a result of their independent grind than their affiliation with MMG.

The one thing about TS though, is that, unlike almost all those other labels, they actually were a group (with Fat Joe added later). Pun, Prospect, Cuban Link, Triple Seis, and I think Armageddon were the Full-A-Clipse crew before they got signed by Fat Joe, and even then, Joe seamlessly joined the group and actually sounded like he belonged.

Their group work on that first album and on Don Cartagena and Capital Punishment sounded like a cohesive group that was fluid with their lyrics, unlike most labels who put out group albums, where you can tell the mish-mash of sounds and styles are put together after the artists have already established their styles.

Geddy was not in the full a clipse crew and TS was a graffti crew before they became a rap group and record company.

See the interviews at

http://www.kronick.com/2.0/issue23/ts.shtml

http://www.kronick.com/2.0/issue23/ts-2.shtml

That's all good, but why do you have a picture of Faizon Love in your avi?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh Maybe

Lmao I was just talking about gunplay with my friend and he was like yooooooo have you heard on cartoons and cereal?
  • Trill Gate$
    Trill Gate$ Members Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭
    They could be. They definitely weren't all over the place like they have been the last two summers. SN: It's a damn shame that Ross did nothing with Masspike Miles
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

wouldn't the fact that he didn't know who gunplay was be an L?

• LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Im a fan but i akcnowledge that the last joint is trash.
    is it the end?
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most overrated crew in recent memory, ain't none of them ? een went platinum. At least the CTE Summer Camp label has a plat artist in Jeezy...
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    inb4 BG starts reppin for the MMGroupies that have passed.

"I think I'm H-Rap! Gee757! Capin for MMG! Tabernacle!"
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Plus that ? meek is going nuts like ? in his bunker comparing himself to DMX 50 and other big names... smh
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    CC_Poncho wrote: »
    Most overrated crew in recent memory, ain't none of them ? een went platinum. At least the CTE Summer Camp label has a plat artist in Jeezy...

what up bruh? Your right. Please vote

• farrell
    farrell Members Posts: 109
    Have to wait and see how Mastermind does. Wale just had a number one album. It depends on the next few solo releases. I won't hold group album numbers against them. Regardless, Ross will be fine
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Meh Maybe
    ? it, merge.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    ? it, merge.
    Thanks formthe assit bruh
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I think I'm H-Rap! Gee757

Gee757?
    Damn, that guy was annoying AND hilarious at the same time ((im sure he misses these IC battlefields))
    Too big of a troll, the IC is a "better" place without him, lol

H-Rap?
    Gee's one and only general, always ready for war. Unfortunately, he was a smart dude, acting dumb at times
    Brought knowledge the militant way, even with a sharp sense of humor. But also troll-ish, paranoia/angry behaviour
    The Reason never should've gave him "the power of the moderator". Too powerful for him, and he couldn't handle it

Only thing missing is that Shadyteam character, he/she/it could turn everything into something Eminem related
    I bet folks on this board started to hate Em for that ? , lmao

Or maybe, it was just one guy with different accounts
    Because all 3 of em are gone (banned?)..
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good thing about the MMG album is the features. Always guest apperance that have the best verses on their albums.

Weak ass ? . Can't hold their own
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    ? Yes
    35kr1hx.png
    straight life support mode. the doctor is asking the family "do you have life insurance?"
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell No
    CC_Poncho wrote: »
    yea but bloodraw the only other artist yo drop tho

• nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh Maybe
    They are the most overrated crew in hiphop.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not dead yet, but they certainly are the weakest and most baffling big-name label imprint.

Terror Squad
    Roc-A-Fella
    Cash Money
    Ruff Ryders
    Murder Inc.
    G-Unit
    Shady Records
    Death Row

All had platinum selling artists they could get behind. MMG is the biggest name without a platinum artist. ? , they barely go gold, if they're even lucky enough to go gold at all.

To me, MMG being this active and whatnot is more a testament to the death of labels as they existed in the last generation of rap. MMG's been trying to sell that image...as a continuation of that era of rap.

They're the type of label that could die tomorrow and it would have zero impact on the rap game. Really, nobody would mourn the loss of MMG the way the aforementioned labels have been or would be, and that's speaking relatively objectively.

The way they operate as a label and how reliant they are on outside guest features speaks volumes to how weak they really are as a group, but also how well they'd probably do individually without the label.

MMG came out in the wrong era. All those other labels came out before the i-Pod was released. in 2013, ain't no one going platinum unless you Jay, Em, Drake, or K Dot.
  • ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell No
    we all need haters
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    ? Yes
    Self made 3 Sale projections: 50k a little more than half of what self made 2 did
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell No
    LOL MMG ain't dead man c'mon...Ross, Meek, Wale and French Montana are all over the Radio...ya'll reaching...