People say Ny Fell off but so did LA

Options
hahanope
hahanope Members Posts: 227
Really. So many people say that Ny isn't controlling rap like it used to, and that the "Konys" are all washed up and irrelevant or whatever.and the good New York artists are underground. But, the same was true for LA until Kendrick and Black Hippy came To mainstream attention in late 2012. Until then, who was representing Cali ? Tyga?
And again, The king of LA was inactive for so long.

Comments

• DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LA' s underground has been bubbling for a very long time. Our mainstream artist from Game to YG owning the clubs to Tyga have all been doin very well out here in the rap game. Crooked I just dropped a very good album to so that whole LA aint doin they thing is a matter of opinion but not necessarily a fact.
  • hahanope
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    LA' s underground has been bubbling for a very long time. Our mainstream artist from Game to YG owning the clubs to Tyga have all been doin very well out here in the rap game. Crooked I just dropped a very good album to so that whole LA aint doin they thing is a matter of opinion but not necessarily a fact.
    But, From 2006-2011 who was running the game. The south , and the Midwest to some degree. Why do you think trap stars got big during that time?

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The fans thats why.
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hahanope wrote: »
    But, From 2006-2011 who was running the game. The south , and the Midwest to some degree. Why do you think trap stars got big during that time?

Everybody has they run man but that dont mean nobody from no other regions aint doin nothing.last year was decent from the people i just named. the year before that Soopafly had a very good album "Best kept secret".... WC had a very good album " return of the baracuda".....Kendric had Section 80 and Evidence from Dialated Peoples dropped a good album too....and there was a very good Nippsey Hussle marathon mixtape.The West was just goin thru a transitional period.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is true but at least cali has a great underground scene always
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On the mainstream scene LA died with 2Pac. Even Snoop dipped South. Occasionally Cube, Dre or Snoop would bring some relevance back to the West but Game was the first big star to come out of California in years and since him none except Kendrick Lamar.

So yeah they kinda been slow on the mainstream scene.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    LA died with 2Pac.

• Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    South by way of Houston,Texas!
  • SnuffDaddy
    SnuffDaddy Members Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    On the mainstream scene LA died with 2Pac. Even Snoop dipped South. Occasionally Cube, Dre or Snoop would bring some relevance back to the West but Game was the first big star to come out of California in years and since him none except Kendrick Lamar.

So yeah they kinda been slow on the mainstream scene.

Snoop dipped south? What does that mean exactly? For 1 album only and the only reason he went to No Limit was cuz they both had distrubution dealings with Priority. It was a business move. But some of Snoop's best albums came at the time (No Limit Top Dogg, Last Meal, Eastsidaz project, the features on Chronic 2001 etc).

Other than that i'd throw Xzibit in there too. Xzibit was pretty big mainstream wise around his Restless days especially.

The only reason is because the whole myth that came with 2pac's death casted a shadow over LA. 2pac became this out of nowhere ? and it's like people werent tryna hear no LA ? unless it sounded exactly like Death Row mid 90s music, which is one reason Game got his shot cuz he was able to mix that style & look and make it his own.
  • Undergroundraplegend
    Undergroundraplegend Members Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what this man said.
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The West did have two MCs doing good (commercially) after their 90s reign. Game & Kendrick
    While the East still have Nas & Jay, not a bad thing at all...but, where is the next NY superstar??
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Weazel wrote: »
    The West did have two MCs doing good (commercially) after their 90s reign. Game & Kendrick
    While the East still have Nas & Jay, not a bad thing at all...but, where is the next NY superstar??

If you are just speaking on album sales and popularity, then, there is A$AP Rocky (even ferg got a hit now), and Nicki Minaj. NY had multiple artist that were spitting mainstream up to the early to mid 2000s. Now we are back on our underground ? but still have top contenders that never fell off since the 90s. Not just Jay and Nas either. Ghost and Rae still doing their thing also. Did Jesus Piece do numbers if we talking album sales only? If we speaking Mix Tapes only, then we have plenty of NYC rappers that are laying it down.
  • clippyclipp n*gga
    clippyclipp n*gga Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i cant judge a artist by mixtapes these days its over saturated, i miss the days when you actually had to pay for a mixtape it separated the good from the weak nowadays anybody can put out a mixtape straight from there home studio.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Weazel wrote: »

Lol NY's stars since the 90s include:

Jay, Nas, Ja, 50 Cent, G Unit, Cam, Lil Kim, Nicki Minaj, Fat Joe, Juelz, Fab, ASAP
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NY got plenty good MCs, that's not the point
    Same goes for LA, but I was talking about Nas & Jay status type-a-rappers
    Not no Fab/Cam/Rocky types..

I admit, Game ? ? up, for himself that is
    Thanks to his G-Unit hate/love antics, weak features
    He forgot to set trends, instead he was following all kinda hype's

Kendrick is doing well so far

..but, nobody..wanna talk about, lyrics? (aight, one star thread it is)

lol+smh
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
  • hahanope
    Options
    Well, as far as the most lyrical New York rapper im going to have to say Joey. But the mainstream isn't checking for him that much.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Lyrically

Game and TDE >>>>>ASAP ? and Joey wackass
  • hahanope
    Options
    Get off of the bath salts. Joey is far from wack.
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    another Def Jam A&R moonlighting as a powerful poster
  • hahanope
    Options
    But we are getting off topic, I shouldn't have brought up lyrics , because, the before mentioned Trap Music is as unlyrical as it gets. I'm talking about which regions had the most relevancy, and about how ? clown NY for being irrelevant, but LA was just as irrelevant for a while . But it was me who got off topic for a while tho .
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    i'm from cali (bay area) and i don't care about mainstream ? . west coast underground in my opinion is better than any thing on the radio or mainstream. collectively between la and the bay, the music is so diverse it doesn't matter to check for other ? .

a lot of east coast cats gotta be the same way unless your underground scene sucks or everybody sound the same (i don't know, just saying). it's so many people in cali and ny that underground artists don't even need the industry, you can eat good off their own states independently.

i couldn't even tell u who relevant in the mainstream if i didn't log onto these boards.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hahanope wrote: »
    Get off of the bath salts. Joey is far from wack.

http://youtu.be/TYS2vVu5YSU

@17:18
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    ? be really acting like The game wasn't the west for yrs.Stop

Also the west has a way more active indie scene
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    Ain't nobody paying attention to no west!