Cam: Being a black QB isnt a big deal

Options
fightforolddc
fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
Don't know if i like this ... just because he doesn't see it doesn't mean people still don't stereotype black quarterbacks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000242771/article/cam-newton-rise-in-black-qbs-shouldnt-be-a-big-deal
Nine black quarterbacks started in the NFL during Week 1. It was the highest number the league had ever seen.

Is it the signal of a coming sea change in the NFL? Or is it an anomaly -- a narrative that feels familiar because it is?

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was asked during his Wednesday news conference if this should be seen as a big deal.

"Absolutely not," Newton said. "You don't have a bar mitzvah just because you're starting an African-American quarterback in this league."

Newton said he doesn't believe race hinders anyone at his position, though he did acknowledge he had to fight to remain a quarterback during his formative years.

"Even leading up to college, having a lot of athleticism playing the quarterback position was looked down upon," said Newton, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. "Especially the size, the speed, the stature gave coaches nods to say, 'Hey, let's put him at wide receiver, at tight end.' I heard all that. But it never derailed me from playing or living up to my dream."

Newton was asked if he believes his success can help young players.

"My job is to be the best quarterback that I can be," he said. "And along those ways I hope I can motivate, I can encourage, I can give someone a belief in Wisconsin, in Washington D.C., all across America, even all across the world, to say, 'Hey, Cam did it when he was 6-5, 250. I don't have to be limited to playing the offensive line, defensive line, safety. I want to play the position I can play.' "

Nine black quarterbacks out of 32 remains out of sync with a league predominantly populated by African-American players. Time will tell if 2013 was the season when things truly started to change.

Comments

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Don't know if i like this ... just because he doesn't see it doesn't mean people still don't stereotype black quarterbacks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000242771/article/cam-newton-rise-in-black-qbs-shouldnt-be-a-big-deal
    Nine black quarterbacks started in the NFL during Week 1. It was the highest number the league had ever seen.

Is it the signal of a coming sea change in the NFL? Or is it an anomaly -- a narrative that feels familiar because it is?

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was asked during his Wednesday news conference if this should be seen as a big deal.

"Absolutely not," Newton said. "You don't have a bar mitzvah just because you're starting an African-American quarterback in this league."

Newton said he doesn't believe race hinders anyone at his position, though he did acknowledge he had to fight to remain a quarterback during his formative years.

"Even leading up to college, having a lot of athleticism playing the quarterback position was looked down upon," said Newton, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. "Especially the size, the speed, the stature gave coaches nods to say, 'Hey, let's put him at wide receiver, at tight end.' I heard all that. But it never derailed me from playing or living up to my dream."

Newton was asked if he believes his success can help young players.

"My job is to be the best quarterback that I can be," he said. "And along those ways I hope I can motivate, I can encourage, I can give someone a belief in Wisconsin, in Washington D.C., all across America, even all across the world, to say, 'Hey, Cam did it when he was 6-5, 250. I don't have to be limited to playing the offensive line, defensive line, safety. I want to play the position I can play.' "

Nine black quarterbacks out of 32 remains out of sync with a league predominantly populated by African-American players. Time will tell if 2013 was the season when things truly started to change.

This ? is clueless!!!
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had a moment monday night...

The season opener of MNF featured TWO starting black QB's

Im just remembering when Vick was the 2nd coming of Randall and how unordinary it was to have a starting black QB.

Now that I think thnk about it

those two franchises have a history of supporting and starting black Qbs

Im also happy to see the black QB = Athletic stereotype go away

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh @ a guy wanting to be known simply as a great quarterback, instead of a great black quarterback.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Has there ever been a starting QB thats Asian?

Not in the NFL, but there have been several in college!!!
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "You don't have a bar mitzvah just because you're starting an African-American quarterback in this league."
    Th'? does this mean? Cam is always saying some weird ? . This is almost as odd as "since I came out of your ? " in his Heisman speech.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Read it yesterday. Idk
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know what to say
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Cam is white friendly at worst.. or just one of the many disconnected ? ..

Donovan Newton.???

• northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Donovan Newton? ? ....
    soccer-miss.gif

Cesspool ? .
  • Matt-
    Options

Roman Gabriel
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Matt- wrote: »

Roman Gabriel

Wasn't he a indian?
  • Matt-
    Options

Roman Gabriel

Wasn't he a indian?

feathered or dot?

neither

he's half-fillipino
  • Carthaginian
    Carthaginian Members Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    Donovan Newton? ? ....
    soccer-miss.gif

Cesspool ? .

lol...even in a thread totally unrelated, soccer fans cant let go of their rivalries. Smh
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't RGIII have a similar opinion, about wanting to be a great QB not just a great Black QB?
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh @ a guy wanting to be known simply as a great quarterback, instead of a great black quarterback.

yeah thats what i trying to figure out here.. what the problem with what he said.. wanting to just a great QB not just a great black QB. sam wit RG3 ...whats the beef
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am appalled that this topic is still being discussed in 2013. There should also be more starting black QBs and other non white QBS. The majority of white QBs are trash.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A$AP_A$TON wrote: »
    icks86 wrote: »

Timmy Chang the goat.

artb.jpg

Statistically when he graduated he was lol.

• A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »

Timmy Chang the goat.

artb.jpg

I remember him and Colt Brennan use to light ? up. They was a fun team to watch, only thing is ESPN would air they games at 1 in the morning.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dead @ Timmy Chang. Got no burn in the league.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »

Timmy Chang the goat.

artb.jpg

I remember him and Colt Brennan use to light ? up. They was a fun team to watch, only thing is ESPN would air they games at 1 in the morning.

Chase Keenum, Graham Harrell and Colt Brennan surpased Chang.. But Chang was the NCAA leader in td passes and passing yards.. He was a backup QB in the CFL last I heard.

But yeah Hawaii used to air it out big time.

• A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On the topic of black QB's, I hope Tyrod Taylor gets a legit shot to start somewhere. Same way Matt Schaub got a shot and even Matt Flynn after balling in one game. Word to Kevin Kolb.
  • Matt-
    Options
    On the topic of black QB's, I hope Tyrod Taylor gets a legit shot to start somewhere. Same way Matt Schaub got a shot and even Matt Flynn after balling in one game. Word to Kevin Kolb.

smh i thought 2013 would finally be the year folks would stop lobbying for Tyrod Taylor. let it go
This discussion has been closed.