The CDC Warns of the Impending "Post-Antibiotic Era"

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
By: ROBERT T. GONZALEZ

Speaking at a media briefing for the Center for Disease Control's first-ever report on "the burden and threats posed by the antibiotic-resistant germs," CDC director Tom Frieden offered these sobering words of warning about the future of medical microbiology.

Top image modified from the CDC's report on drug-resistant tuberculosis

Over at Superbug, Maryn McKenna has a rundown of the threat report's major findings, including "some serious concerns... regarding how well [antibiotic-]resistance is monitored":

...in “gaps in knowledge,” it specifically names limited national and international surveillance, as well as the lack of data on agricultural use of antibiotics. And it calls for action in four areas: gathering better data; preventing infections, through vaccination, better protective behavior in hospitals, and better food handling; improving the way in which antibiotics are used, by not using them inappropriately in health care or agriculture; and developing not just new categories of antibiotics but better diagnostic tests so that resistant organisms can be identified and dealt with sooner, before they spread.

In an interview before the report became public, Frieden said that some of these actions are already happening. “My biggest frustration is the pace of change,” he told me. “Hospitals are making progress, but it’s single digits in terms of the number of hospitals that are being very proactive. The challenge is scaling up what we know works, and doing that fast enough so that we can close the door on drug resistance before it’s too late.”

ku-bigpic.jpg

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/09/cdc-amr-rpt1/

http://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/threat-report-2013/

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? still taking anti-biotics? All this pill popping sensation is going to destroy people because their bodies aren't prepared to fight against diseases. I got super genes my ? .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, whoever gets a recent case of gonorreah these days is ? .....I'm gonna keep my condoms on real tight from now on
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? still taking anti-biotics? All this pill popping sensation is going to destroy people because their bodies aren't prepared to fight against diseases. I got super genes my ? .

I think this sometimes too but still be careful out there. If you live in the south, you're one wrong swimming pool or tap water drink away from a brain or flesh eating disease. Can't be too careful out here
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, whoever gets a recent case of gonorreah these days is ? .....I'm gonna keep my condoms on real tight from now on

CDC knows that there's still a few treatments left for gonorrhea. It's the fact that we're down to just those few, one of which Pfizer pulled off the US market for no known reason (possibly to allow it to get to superbug status, then profit by reintroducing it).
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think this sometimes too but still be careful out there. If you live in the south, you're one wrong swimming pool or tap water drink away from a brain or flesh eating disease. Can't be too careful out here

Nope, live in Ohio, I'm about to peace out on ya'll soon.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nope, live in Ohio, I'm about to peace out on ya'll soon.

Like Lebron
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doctors handing out antibiotics for every damn thing for so many years does that.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    .IRS. wrote: »
    Doctors handing out antibiotics for every damn thing for so many years does that.
    More like people not taking the medicine until the bug is killed, they take enough to alleviate symptoms and then stop.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    .IRS. wrote: »
    More like people not taking the medicine until the bug is killed, they take enough to alleviate symptoms and then stop.

The most I'd agree to is both parties are at fault. But moreso the doctors because of the fact they are the doctors.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    CDC knows that there's still a few treatments left for gonorrhea. It's the fact that we're down to just those few, one of which Pfizer pulled off the US market for no known reason (possibly to allow it to get to superbug status, then profit by reintroducing it).

I was waiting for someone to drop the "G" word in this thread lol........yeah, ya'll heard bout there being only like 2 antibiotics that still work against The Clap right? Well THE JIG IS UP:

On Monday, the CDC issued its highest level of warning for a drug-resistant strain of gonorrhea—saying the sexually transmitted disease is an "urgent threat" to the health of Americans.

"There's no question gonorrhea is developing resistance to every drug created to fight it," Smith said.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101041141

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITT when dat last wall of defense crumbles for good, this ? is gonna hit like AIDS: THE SEQUEL. People forget that this ? can and will ? yo ass. Ya'll ? addicts gonna learn or else lol

230px-SheMayLookCleanBut.jpg

btw speaking of Gono check out this infection rate map:

800px-Gonorrhoea_world_map_-_DALY_-_WHO2004.svg.png

.............? DAMMIT, AFRICA!

inb4 "the white man invented Gonorrhea" lol