If you believe the Devil will punish you in hell..

Options

Comments

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? created Lucifer. Lucifer became Satan when he rebelled.

Did ? know in advance that this would happen? Of course.

Then ? is responsible for it. It's the only logical conclusion. If I create something that I know is going to be destructive, I'm responsible for the destruction that my creation causes because I indirectly played a part. It's my fault.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If something is re-born it is not the same thing as it was before.
  • Bodhi
    edited October 2013
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

Not essentially. I'm talking about at the core of your being, what can be described as "you". Christian theology establishes the existence of this substantial and enduring thing that is your soul. You may not be the same soul as you were before as in you were not living the same lifestyle or in other words you do not subscribe, now, to the beliefs you once held in the past but fundamentally, you are the same being.
  • zombie
    Options
    Oceanic wrote: »
    I'm asking DoYou that question.

But I'll answer your response. If you become something completely different or rather you are reborn in a way that completely changes the makeup of the soul, there is no eternal soul and the mind can be likened to such things as a string of physical phenomena that has no real and enduring existence.

The soul is eternal in that it always exist that does not mean that it is eternally the same. The mind is not the soul they are very similar but not the same thing.

Matt 22: 37

So being that the soul always exists regardless of what changes it goes through, ? created satan by creating Lucifer. Lucifer and Satan are one in the same; its two names for the same soul. ? created Lucifer knowing good and well that he would rename him satan in the future.

Angels don't have souls and i have read nothing that says they have them, ANGELS are spirits remember people erroneously use spirit and soul interchangeably i do that sometimes.

The ability to be re-born is a gift given to humans and when we are everything changes.

As for Lucifer becoming satan, ? made lucifer and the other angels knowing they could rebel he knew that future could come to pass since angels have freewill ? also must have know of the possibility that he would not rebel.

which future became reality was lucifers choice.

• illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Romans 8:28
    And we know that all things work together for good to those who love ? ,
    to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Romans 8:29
    For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son,
    that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Romans 8:30
    Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called;
    whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified,
    these He also glorified.

*? doesn't make mistakes..
    Satan had free will just like the rest of us,
    and he doesn't have the power to punish anybody..
  • zombie
    Options

Not essentially. I'm talking about at the core of your being, what can be described as "you". Christian theology establishes the existence of this substantial and enduring thing that is your soul. You may not be the same soul as you were before as in you were not living the same lifestyle or in other words you do not subscribe, now, to the beliefs you once held in the past but fundamentally, you are the same being.

This is where we disagree the bible clears says that we become a new creature i read that to mean everything about what you really are is new in gods eyes which means new spirit and soul so fundamentally you are a new being.
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is where we disagree the bible clears says that we become a new creature i read that to mean everything about what you really are is new in gods eyes which means new spirit and soul so fundamentally you are a new being.

About the reborn thing, reminds me of an ex of mine.. we would do it all over the 2.5years, just partying etc. then when we split, months later she said she forgives me for any wrong doings because she is now a born again Christian.. I said thanks and didn't try wonder what brought on the change, and cut it short and we never spoke again.. then I see 10years later she still partying hard and ? plays no part in her life?? Sorry just a random flashback on my part lol
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ok.. I'll, again, ask you a question which you have yet to answer.

If ? created my soul, am I the same soul whether I am following Christianity or not?

Are you the same soul today in essence, not disposition, as you were when you were "lost"?

I've been born again my friend. My soul has been re-born! Now Christ lives in me and His righteousness has been credited to my account. Thus when I see ? , He will not see me, but Christ in me! Hallelujah!

If you never been born-again your soul still has sin smeared on it. Thus when you see ? , He will see sin. Sin must be punished and because the sacrifice of Christ was refused, you must pay the penalty for sin yourself. ? is just my friend. Amen.

In other words, you're the same soul. Being reborn in your case suggests that there is a fundamental essence that is enduring.

No. I am a new creature in Christ. Hence being born-again.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    ? created Lucifer. Lucifer became Satan when he rebelled.

Did ? know in advance that this would happen? Of course.

Then ? is responsible for it. It's the only logical conclusion. If I create something that I know is going to be destructive, I'm responsible for the destruction that my creation causes because I indirectly played a part. It's my fault.

I disagree. ? made all things good. He didn't tell Lucifer to rebel. He didn't tell Eve to take of the forbidden fruit. Rather ? warned Adam and Eve of the consuences for disobdeince. That's what a loving being is suppose to do. But if you don't abide by the rules, consquences naturally follow.

? isn't indirectly responsible for the actions that His creatures take. That's the power of free will that ? gifted us with. In order to understand what love truly is, ? had to give His creatures a will to freely choose to experience what love is. Without free will we are robots, programmed to do what the designer designed.

Now if ? programmed angels and humans as robots, and in turn programmed us to rebel against Him, than yes ? would be responsible. But thank ? that isn't the case. So your argument falls flat on it's face. Amen.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    Oceanic what do you know about butterflies?
  • zombie
    Options
    KLICHE wrote: »

About the reborn thing, reminds me of an ex of mine.. we would do it all over the 2.5years, just partying etc. then when we split, months later she said she forgives me for any wrong doings because she is now a born again Christian.. I said thanks and didn't try wonder what brought on the change, and cut it short and we never spoke again.. then I see 10years later she still partying hard and ? plays no part in her life?? Sorry just a random flashback on my part lol

Being re-born ? sees you different not that you become mr perfect but you accept christ as your savior.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You'll have to excuse me; I'm on my phone so I'll try to address your reply as clearly as possible. I'll number my responses to each paragraph you've written, respectively.

1. If ? created Lucifer, he created Satan. From what I understand, they're the same soul. Just because Lucifer had a change of heart doesn't make him a completely different being.

2. True, creators create but what doesn't make sense is ? 's supposed omnibenevolence and him knowingly creating an evil entity. When you knowingly do something or you do a thing where you know the outcome of said action, you are fully responsible. If ? knowingly creates evil, he is inherently evil himself.

3. Any plan that involves unnecessary evil is not glorious, not to mention the fact that punishing others for your doings is immoral and attempting to reverse the effects of an act you've willfully committed, knowing beforehand all outcomes, is completely irrational. None of what ? dies seems wise to me.

1. You fail to comprehend the power of names. ? gives names to His creatures in order to define their character and make up. When ? created Lucifer, He named him such because he was the "shining one". His name, Lucifer, matched his character and make-up because that is how ? created him. When Lucifer rebelled, ? changed his name to Satan because he was no longer the "shining one" but rather the "adversary". ? didn't create Satan, Lucifer choose to become Satan (the adversary) because of his rebellion against Gods rule.

2. Ridiculous my friend. Human beings have children all the time regardless of the fact that they knowingly realize that one day their child will do bad, wrong, and evil things. But yet we still choose to have children despite the fact that one day that child will grow up and disrespect us, talk back to us, not listen to us, and rebel against us. Parents know that this will one day happen, but yet we still decide to have children regardless. Why? Because we want to reproduce ourselves through our offspring. We want children to love and nurture, despite the fact that they will one day reject all of our hard work, energy, time, and effort. But still love compels us to love our children no matter what.

The same can be said for ? . Love is why He created all of us despite the fact that He knew many would reject His love. But because love always win, ? is demonstrating the power of love so that all of creation will see how far ? will go to reconcile all things back to Himself; Love goes so far that He even sent His Son to die on a cross in order to prove how far He would go to rescue the creatures He created. ? not only talks the talk, but He walks the walk. ? demonstrated His great love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us! Can I get a Hallelujah! Praise the Lord forever and ever! Thank you Jesus!

3. The vastness of space is a inadequate representation of how far your thoughts are from Gods thoughts my friend. What seems wise to you is foolishness to ? my friend. The wisdom of ? is unsearchable my friend. Everything that ? does is right, just, and good! There is nothing evil about the plan of ? . What is evil is your rebellion against Him. Your failure to submit to His rule and authority is a terrible tragedy and a slap to His face. It's plain old pride. Your saying to the creator that you know better than Him. Your telling ? that you can hold the universe together and all things in it with your life and brain power. I mean how utterly foolish is that my friend? It's like a piece of printer paper one day rising up against me and telling me that it doesn't want to go through the printer! How preposterous is that! But yet, here we are as clay creatures who are here today and gone tomorrow telling ? that we know better than Him. My goodness! Praise ? for His great mercy and patience. It amazes me to see how long-suffering ? is toward us. All ? has to do is flinch and we would be consumed in an instant. But yet ? bares with us and our rebellion, because He will go to great lengths in order to receive us into His kingdom!

Give your life to Christ my friend and live forever with ? ! Be ye reconciled back to the Father! Put on immortality by the blood of Jesus Christ. ? loves you my friend. It's futile to fight against it, because ? will always get the last word. You will have to see Him one day and how can you stand before the King of the universe apart from Christ Jesus as your advocate? Don't go to His cosmic court room unclothed and dead in your trespasses in sins! Change your destiny today and accept the King as your Savior! He loves you my friend. Amen.

DAM... GREAT REBUTTAL!
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You'll have to excuse me; I'm on my phone so I'll try to address your reply as clearly as possible. I'll number my responses to each paragraph you've written, respectively.

1. If ? created Lucifer, he created Satan. From what I understand, they're the same soul. Just because Lucifer had a change of heart doesn't make him a completely different being.

2. True, creators create but what doesn't make sense is ? 's supposed omnibenevolence and him knowingly creating an evil entity. When you knowingly do something or you do a thing where you know the outcome of said action, you are fully responsible. If ? knowingly creates evil, he is inherently evil himself.

3. Any plan that involves unnecessary evil is not glorious, not to mention the fact that punishing others for your doings is immoral and attempting to reverse the effects of an act you've willfully committed, knowing beforehand all outcomes, is completely irrational. None of what ? dies seems wise to me.

1. You fail to comprehend the power of names. ? gives names to His creatures in order to define their character and make up. When ? created Lucifer, He named him such because he was the "shining one". His name, Lucifer, matched his character and make-up because that is how ? created him. When Lucifer rebelled, ? changed his name to Satan because he was no longer the "shining one" but rather the "adversary". ? didn't create Satan, Lucifer choose to become Satan (the adversary) because of his rebellion against Gods rule.

2. Ridiculous my friend. Human beings have children all the time regardless of the fact that they knowingly realize that one day their child will do bad, wrong, and evil things. But yet we still choose to have children despite the fact that one day that child will grow up and disrespect us, talk back to us, not listen to us, and rebel against us. Parents know that this will one day happen, but yet we still decide to have children regardless. Why? Because we want to reproduce ourselves through our offspring. We want children to love and nurture, despite the fact that they will one day reject all of our hard work, energy, time, and effort. But still love compels us to love our children no matter what.

The same can be said for ? . Love is why He created all of us despite the fact that He knew many would reject His love. But because love always win, ? is demonstrating the power of love so that all of creation will see how far ? will go to reconcile all things back to Himself; Love goes so far that He even sent His Son to die on a cross in order to prove how far He would go to rescue the creatures He created. ? not only talks the talk, but He walks the walk. ? demonstrated His great love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us! Can I get a Hallelujah! Praise the Lord forever and ever! Thank you Jesus!

3. The vastness of space is a inadequate representation of how far your thoughts are from Gods thoughts my friend. What seems wise to you is foolishness to ? my friend. The wisdom of ? is unsearchable my friend. Everything that ? does is right, just, and good! There is nothing evil about the plan of ? . What is evil is your rebellion against Him. Your failure to submit to His rule and authority is a terrible tragedy and a slap to His face. It's plain old pride. Your saying to the creator that you know better than Him. Your telling ? that you can hold the universe together and all things in it with your life and brain power. I mean how utterly foolish is that my friend? It's like a piece of printer paper one day rising up against me and telling me that it doesn't want to go through the printer! How preposterous is that! But yet, here we are as clay creatures who are here today and gone tomorrow telling ? that we know better than Him. My goodness! Praise ? for His great mercy and patience. It amazes me to see how long-suffering ? is toward us. All ? has to do is flinch and we would be consumed in an instant. But yet ? bares with us and our rebellion, because He will go to great lengths in order to receive us into His kingdom!

Give your life to Christ my friend and live forever with ? ! Be ye reconciled back to the Father! Put on immortality by the blood of Jesus Christ. ? loves you my friend. It's futile to fight against it, because ? will always get the last word. You will have to see Him one day and how can you stand before the King of the universe apart from Christ Jesus as your advocate? Don't go to His cosmic court room unclothed and dead in your trespasses in sins! Change your destiny today and accept the King as your Savior! He loves you my friend. Amen.

i'll do you one better, why didn't ? just outright destroy satan/luficer instead of just allowing him to become the prince of evil and merely casting him down to the earth to live torment and deceive mankind.
  • Bodhi
    Options

So when you make a decision to follow Christ, what happens to your old soul and where does this new one come from? Also, if you were a believer before and you were "reborn", what happens to your reborn soul if you become an atheist?

If you are reborn and absolutely everything changes, you are no longer you and you are basically switched out for something or someone else. In that case, ? should have created the new soul from jump, especially since he knew it would happen. Essentially, the new soul didnt learn anything since it never was the old soul to begin with.
    The ability to be re-born is a gift given to humans and when we are everything changes.

That's not a gift given to anybody. If what you're saying is that when you make a decision to follow Christ, you are destroyed and someone else replaces you, neither soul really gains anything from it.
    As for Lucifer becoming satan, ? made lucifer and the other angels knowing they could rebel he knew that future could come to pass since angels have freewill ? also must have know of the possibility that he would not rebel.

No, if ? is omniscient, he knew what choice lucifer would make before he made it. Since he knew that, and still created him, he's responsible. We've been through this open theism thing and it doesnt work unless you're willing to give up ? 's omniscience.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    I disagree. ? made all things good.

while knowing they would do evil.
    He didn't tell Lucifer to rebel.

But he knew he would
    ? warned Adam and Eve of the consuences for disobdeince.

What's the reason for any warning? He knew, before and after he warned them, that they would disobey.
    ? isn't indirectly responsible for the actions that His creatures take.

Yes he is.

If I create a robot with artificial intelligence and the ability to make its own decisions, but I knew before I even made it that it would murder an innocent person.. and the robot eventually did that, would I be responsible for that persons death?
    ? had to give His creatures a will to freely choose to experience what love is.

So you're saying ? has limits? Because if ? can do anything, I'm pretty sure he could easily create man and woman to experience love without creating evil.
    Without free will we are robots, programmed to do what the designer designed.

You say we have free will and we are still "programmed to do what the designer designed". For instance, there are physical and mental limits that generally come along with being human.
    Now if ? programmed angels and humans as robots, and in turn programmed us to rebel against Him, than yes ? would be responsible.

He did. Theoretically, he programmed everything about us down to our every single thought. How? Because he's omniscient and omnipotent. If he's omniscient, he knew everything about me before he created me. He's also omnipotent so he had the power to change anything he didn't like. I'm here today as I am so anything about me is according to his will since obviously, I've been willed into existence. Everything about me was programmed to his liking.
  • zombie
    edited October 2013
    Options

So when you make a decision to follow Christ, what happens to your old soul and where does this new one come from? Also, if you were a believer before and you were "reborn", what happens to your reborn soul if you become an atheist?

If you are reborn and absolutely everything changes, you are no longer you and you are basically switched out for something or someone else. In that case, ? should have created the new soul from jump, especially since he knew it would happen. Essentially, the new soul didnt learn anything since it never was the old soul to begin with.

That's not a gift given to anybody. If what you're saying is that when you make a decision to follow Christ, you are destroyed and someone else replaces you, neither soul really gains anything from it.

No, if ? is omniscient, he knew what choice lucifer would make before he made it. Since he knew that, and still created him, he's responsible. We've been through this open theism thing and it doesnt work unless you're willing to give up ? 's omniscience.

Open theism works perfectly,logically you limit your understanding of what it means to be omniscient so that you can make you argument. Omniscient means you have all knowledge the future is not existent as fact so ? knows it as possiblity, this goes for all futures except those ? has chosen to bring into existence. ? 's omniscientence is a function of his omnipotence.? would not destroy any intelligence just based on possibiliy so therfore ? could not simply destroy lucifer before he did anything wrong.

When you are reborn you are not destroyed WHAT "YOU" are changes in gods eyes like a caterpiller changes into a butterfly. Your old soul changes into something new in gods eyes you now have the holy spirit like a butterfly has wings. when the catterpiller becomes the butterfly it is not destroyed however is it fundamentally changed. It's nature is different, i am speaking spiritually here. when i say everything changes i was talking spiritually everything changes, ? will not deal with you in the same manner when you die. You have to choose this possibility the rules of the universe do not apply to you in the same way
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Omniscience means you know everything, period.

A caterpillar changes into a butterfly but it's the same being.
  • zombie
    edited October 2013
    Options

Yeah but what is this thing we call the "future" it is possibilities not actualities.

The nature of catterpillar is nothing like the nature of a butterfly and like i said earlier the soul is eternal in that it always exist that does not mean that it is eternally the same.

and change does not equal destruction.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    The future is information and if you are omniscient and there is information to know, you know it.

The nature of a fetus is not exactly like that of an elderly person but they are one and the same being.

Aha! So the soul, as you say, always exists. That is what I've been telling you. If the soul always exists, it is the same soul regardless of what name you give it to signify the character that manifests or is projected from it. So in essence, lucifer and Satan are one and the same being.

Thank you for your time.
  • zombie
    Options
    The future is information and if you are omniscient and there is information to know, you know it.

The nature of a fetus is not exactly like that of an elderly person but they are one and the same being.

Aha! So the soul, as you say, always exists. That is what I've been telling you. If the soul always exists, it is the same soul regardless of what name you give it to signify the character that manifests or is projected from it. So in essence, lucifer and Satan are one and the same being.

Thank you for your time.

The future is not information what you have described is knowledge but knowledge does not have to be fact in other words knowledge does not have to actually BE. You can have knowledge of a possiblity that does not mean that that possibilty is real. A fetus is a human and elderly person is a human a fetus is just a tiny human

I have told you already that angels don't have souls AND THAT they are spirits. lucifer chose to change into satan ? knew of this possibilty but being that ? is good he chose not to punish lucifer until lucifer chose to rebel.

FACE it i stumped you and your understanding of theology is poor.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "So/so hasn't been the same since whateverwhatever."

We hear it throughout our lives that people have changed, they aren't who they used to be, for better or worse.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They stopped being who they used to be.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    The future is not information what you have described is knowledge but knowledge does not have to be fact in other words knowledge does not have to actually BE. You can have knowledge of a possiblity that does not mean that that possibilty is real.

Any iota of existence is information because anything that is real is factual. The future is as real as the present; we simply have not yet observed it. An omniscient ? , on the other hand, would undoubtedly be able to view past, present and future events at the same time as easily as you would these words.

A fetus is a human and elderly person is a human a fetus is just a tiny human

I know. What I'm saying is your grandmother/father as an elderly person is the same being as she/he was as a fetus. Although the person went through changes, it is the same person.
    I have told you already that angels don't have souls AND THAT they are spirits.

I'm referring to it as a soul for universal and interreligious purposes. Use your imagination and picture me saying spirit instead. Either way, I'm referring to the (as you've defined it) "eternal" core of your being or the essence of a person.
    lucifer chose to change into satan ? knew of this possibilty but

No, if ? is omniscient, ? knew Lucifer would switch over to the darkside before ? created Lucifer. If you don't agree with this, you deny that ? is omniscient.

being that ? is good he chose not to punish lucifer until lucifer chose to rebel.

If ? were really good, he would have prevented evil altogether. So, he's like.. partly good. ..or somewhat good

I don't agree.
  • zombie
    Options
    The future is not information what you have described is knowledge but knowledge does not have to be fact in other words knowledge does not have to actually BE. You can have knowledge of a possiblity that does not mean that that possibilty is real.

Any iota of existence is information because anything that is real is factual. The future is as real as the present; we simply have not yet observed it. An omniscient ? , on the other hand, would undoubtedly be able to view past, present and future events at the same time as easily as you would these words.

A fetus is a human and elderly person is a human a fetus is just a tiny human

I know. What I'm saying is your grandmother/father as an elderly person is the same being as she/he was as a fetus. Although the person went through changes, it is the same person.
    I have told you already that angels don't have souls AND THAT they are spirits.

I'm referring to it as a soul for universal and interreligious purposes. Use your imagination and picture me saying spirit instead. Either way, I'm referring to the (as you've defined it) "eternal" core of your being or the essence of a person.
    lucifer chose to change into satan ? knew of this possibilty but

No, if ? is omniscient, ? knew Lucifer would switch over to the darkside before ? created Lucifer. If you don't agree with this, you deny that ? is omniscient.

being that ? is good he chose not to punish lucifer until lucifer chose to rebel.

If ? were really good, he would have prevented evil altogether. So, he's like.. partly good. ..or somewhat good

I don't agree.

the future is not as real as the present saying other wise makes no sense. The future is not singular it's not A thing. future is possibility so being omniscient of the future would mean having all knowledge of every possibility.

fu·ture (fychr)
    n.
    1. The indefinite time yet to come: will try to do better in the future.
    2. Something that will happen in time to come: "The future comes apace" (Shakespeare).
    3. A prospective or expected condition, especially one considered with regard to growth, advancement, or development: a business with no future.
    4. futures Business Commodities or stocks bought or sold upon agreement of delivery in time to come.
    5. Grammar
    a. The form of a verb used in speaking of action that has not yet occurred or of states not yet in existence.
    b. A verb form in the future ten

A butterfly is not the same being as a catterpillar they are totally different, a fetus is only a small undevelped human so comparing the change of a catterpillar into a butterfly to the growth of a fetus into an adult is a faulty comparison because there is no deep fundamental change.

You cannot prevent evil by doing evil and preventing an intelligence from expressing it's desires under threat of destruction is evil and destroying something you love just because you are aware of the possbility that it will rebel against you is also evil. The better question would be why did ? not destroy lucifer after his rebellion.
  • Bodhi
    edited October 2013
    Options
    the future is not as real as the present saying other wise makes no sense. The future is not singular it's not A thing. future is possibility so being omniscient of the future would mean having all knowledge of every possibility.

fu·ture (fychr)
    n.
    1. The indefinite time yet to come: will try to do better in the future.

Indefinite means unidentified or unfamiliar. Or not definite as in not certain as to what exactly it entails.. or rather, uncertain of the details of it specifically.

So as I've said, the future is as real as the present; we simply have not yet observed it.

A butterfly is not the same being as a catterpillar they are totally different.

Not totally. In fact, research suggests that adult butterflies remember things they've learned as caterpillars.

a fetus is only a small undevelped human so comparing the change of a catterpillar into a butterfly to the growth of a fetus into an adult is a faulty comparison because there is no deep fundamental change.

The caterpillar is the larva. Like the fetus, it goes through stages of change to become an adult.

You cannot prevent evil by doing evil.

I never said you could.
    and preventing an intelligence from expressing it's desires under threat of destruction is evil and destroying something you love just because you are aware of the possbility that it will rebel against you is also evil. The better question would be why did ? not destroy lucifer after his rebellion.

I never suggested all of this stuff. I said that ? , if he were really good, would have prevented evil.. you know, by not creating an evil (or future evil) entity.