Vanilla Ice-"Ice,Ice Baby" appreciation!

2»

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's such a good vibration
    It's such a sweet sensation
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    everybody here may ? on me but hear me out
    you can make a case (and a very strong one) that vanilla ice (and mc hammer) had more impact on hip-hop than you can ever realize

yes they didnt invent rap, but they were two of the first to have MAJOR success by just taking old songs and essentially reworking them into hip-pop, dance tracks and crossing rap over to mainstream club/party music
    this was the whole formula you would later see diddy, nelly and others use,and these guys mad TONS of money
    more money than pretty much any rappers of that time. as the t/s said this sold 15 MILLION and hammer sold that much as well
    but here is where it gets even more ridiculous
    the dj that did this song said he didnt get his just due,so he went to his bodyguard to help him get some of his money
    his bodyguard? none other than suge knight, this led to suge hanging vanilla ice out that window and he signed over a gang of money to the dj
    that money along with harry o the drug dealers money, was what made dr. dre leave ruthless
    without that money, dre never would have left
    so suge lets dre have a whole label, and what does he do? he samples gfunk hits and raps over them (Essentially what vanilla and mc hammer had been doing) and he sells TONS of records, like more records in hip hop than had ever been seen
    he found snoop and you know the history there
    diddy is over in nyc and he hears chronic with biggie and diddy says he wants to make an east coast version of that
    hence, you can make the case that chronic was the first albm that showed people the commercial potential of the gangsta sound that is now everywhere, along with production that was way different than the boom bap that nyc was known for
    and this doesnt happen if vanilla ice didnt make ice ice baby
    i know im making it sound all nice and linear
    but in many ways ice ice baby (and u cant touch this) led to death row which led to everything else
    think about it

there is no snoop if dre dont have creative control of his own label
    there is no creative control if suge didnt start the first fully owned black label (in that they kept their masters as opposed to motown or def jam)
    there is no death row records if suge didnt steal that money from vanilla ice
    there is no vanilla ice if there is no mc hammer

so in a way hammer really started this all
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was debunked that Suge actually hung Vanilla Ice over a balcony?
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can make a case (and a very strong one) that vanilla ice (and mc hammer) had more impact on hip-hop than you can ever realize

yes they didnt invent rap, but they were two of the first to have MAJOR success by just taking old songs and essentially reworking them into hip-pop, dance tracks and crossing rap over to mainstream club/party music
    this was the whole formula you would later see diddy, nelly and others use,and these guys mad TONS of money
    more money than pretty much any rappers of that time. as the t/s said this sold 15 MILLION and hammer sold that much as well
    the dj that did this song said he didnt get his just due,so he went to his bodyguard to help him get some of his money
    his bodyguard? none other than suge knight, this led to suge hanging vanilla ice out that window and he signed over a gang of money to the dj
    that money along with harry o the drug dealers money, was what made dr. dre leave ruthless
    so suge lets dre have a whole label, and what does he do? he samples gfunk hits and raps over them (Essentially what vanilla and mc hammer had been doing) and he sells TONS of records, like more records in hip hop than had ever been seen
    diddy is over in nyc and he hears chronic with biggie and diddy says he wants to make an east coast version of that
    hence, you can make the case that chronic was the first albm that showed people the commercial potential of the gangsta sound that is now everywhere, along with production that was way different than the boom bap that nyc was known for
    but in many ways ice ice baby (and u cant touch this) led to death row which led to everything else
    think about it

there is no creative control if suge didnt start the first fully owned black label (in that they kept their masters as opposed to motown or def jam)

Welcome to the matrix
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

think about it

You must be young. Anybody that was around in the 80s will tell you that rap was better in the 80s and when Hammer and Vanilla Ice went Pop the whole culture went downhill because people who had no business participating in the culture became involved due to raps marketability.

In otherwords, MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice ruined rap. Rap was better when it was underground and wasn't on tv.
  • lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ? with the song. ? I was like 10-11 when it came out.
  • SheerExcellence
    5 Grand wrote: »

think about it

You must be young. Anybody that was around in the 80s will tell you that rap was better in the 80s and when Hammer and Vanilla Ice went Pop the whole culture went downhill because people who had no business participating in the culture became involved due to raps marketability.

In otherwords, MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice ruined rap. Rap was better when it was underground and wasn't on tv.

i didnt say anything about rap being better because of mc hammer or vanilla ice. if you are going to attack someone learn to read.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    The beat is hard.

Cs
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    If there was a problem, Yo, I'll solve it
    Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it

son was flowing on this ?
  • wAXed_poetic
    wAXed_poetic Members Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    but he sold 15 million. thought that's all that mattered ;)
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Markus Garvey
    Markus Garvey Members Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I dont get the hate for this or U Cant Touch This.
  • miss7deadlysinz
    miss7deadlysinz Members Posts: 30
    edited October 2013
    It's such a good vibration
    It's such a sweet sensation

michael-jordan-laughing.gif
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    crazy how Ice and Hammer both some how ended up giving money to Death Row Ice with the Start up paper and Hammer signing
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    Dude change your Sig man. I open this ? at work and you got me looking like a pervert. If I get fired ima ? you up.

no can do my nig. What happens in the sig stays in the sig.
    But you just might be a pervert bc you got them on at work knowing you can turn them off.
  • SheerExcellence
    Dude change your Sig man. I open this ? at work and you got me looking like a pervert. If I get fired ima ? you up.

no can do my nig. What happens in the sig stays in the sig.
    But you just might be a pervert bc you got them on at work knowing you can turn them off.

I didn't know you can do that. thanks for telling me.