Official 2013-2014 MIAMI HEAT Thread

Options

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That Beasley resigning was a great pick up imo because lets be real, Haslem jumper been broken for 2 ? years now. The Heat get little to no production from that 4 spot.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    miamiherald.com/2013/10/01/3661771/miami-heats-dwyane-wade-healthy.html
    Miami Heat’s Dwyane Wade healthy and ready to quiet critics

There was a time when Dwyane Wade was the king of Miami, the cornerstone of a championship franchise. He was universally loved and respected by fans, teammates and opponents alike. There was a time when some considered him to be the second-best player on the planet.

But times change.

Wade is no longer a cornerstone, now comprising one-third of the Heat’s foundation. And an injury-plagued playoff run has led some to question whether Wade is still the same “Flash” that hoisted the Larry O’Brien trophy in 2006.

Kevin Durant suggested earlier this month that Wade is no longer a top-10 NBA player and said that former Thunder teammate James Harden, now with the Rockets, has supplanted Wade on the list.

Heat fans are hoping Durant’s comments will drive Wade to prove doubters wrong — and perhaps he will — but Wade said he’s just as motivated as every year, regardless of what has been said about him.

Chip on shoulder

“I always enter with a chip on my shoulder. People always think something about something,” Wade said. “I’ve played with that chip just because of who I am and where I come from, and I’ll always play that way.”

But just because Wade isn’t completely focused on proving doubters wrong doesn’t mean that he won’t make the public forget about the hobbled version of him that took the hardwood in the playoffs, averaging a career-low 15.9 points per game.

Wade, LeBron James and coach Erik Spoelstra all indicated that Wade is healthier than he’s been in a long while. The previous two summers, Wade underwent offseason surgery. The bone bruise on his knee that plagued Wade in the latter half of last season has fully healed and didn’t require surgery.

Translation: look out, NBA.

“I hear ‘A healthy Dwyane Wade’ and I get excited,” James said. “This is probably as healthy as he’s been since [2010] training camp. He’s hungry. He’s hungry to get back to form and to show why he’s one of the greatest two-guards to ever play this game.”

Spoelstra expressed disappointment that Wade’s insistence on playing through injury in last year’s playoffs was framed as a negative storyline.

When Wade injured his knee in a regular-season game against Boston, he knew the only way to get healthy was to take time off, three to four weeks. Instead, he played through the injury in a diminished capacity, drawing criticism and cries that the 11-year veteran was on the decline.

“That should be celebrated. Most players probably wouldn’t have played, and you don’t leave yourself subjected to that kind of criticism,” Spoelstra said. “He played through it with the doctors’ and our trainers’ support, knowing that it couldn’t get worse, but it wasn’t going to get better either. He had to do it in different ways and he did take a lot of criticism, but he’s a warrior for playing through that.”

This could be the first season Wade is healthy since becoming fully comfortable in his role on this team.

The second option

“I’m the second option. Let’s just point-blank say it,” Wade said. “Obviously I don’t have the ball as much so I’ve got to be a better post-up player, I’ve got to be way more efficient than I’ve ever been. I’ve got to — kind of like I did with the Olympic team — find ways to be ‘involved when I’m not involved.’”

Since the arrival of James and Chris Bosh, Wade has gradually improved at affecting the game without being the primary ballhandler, learning how to better cut to the basket, rebound and play defense.

Wade joked that he still thinks he’s a “pretty good” second option, and perhaps narratives of his decline are premature. With the efficacy Wade developed the past two seasons in his secondary role and a body healthier than it’s been in a while, the nine-time All-Star may be poised to have one of his most efficient seasons.

Wade may not be the king of Miami anymore, but the Heat seem pretty content to have Wade be a foundational piece as it embarks on a mission for a third title in a row.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    We'll see how long that lasts. Wade's knees keep betraying him.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im excited bout this season, three peating is gonna be tough but i think we got it
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Heat should of 3peated already if Lebron hadn't frozen up in 2011. That Mavs team should of been ran off the court.
  • infamous114
    Options
  • infamous114
    Options
    tumblr_mu042vmqVL1r18j6zo2_400.jpgtumblr_mu042vmqVL1r18j6zo4_500.jpg
    tumblr_mu042vmqVL1r18j6zo1_400.jpgtumblr_mu042vmqVL1r18j6zo7_400.jpg

Wade making the face I'd expect Bosh to be making lol
  • infamous114
    Options
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options

There was a time when Dwyane Wade was the king of Miami, the cornerstone of a championship franchise. He was universally loved and respected by fans, teammates and opponents alike. There was a time when some considered him to be the second-best player on the planet.

But times change.

Wade is no longer a cornerstone, now comprising one-third of the Heat’s foundation. And an injury-plagued playoff run has led some to question whether Wade is still the same “Flash” that hoisted the Larry O’Brien trophy in 2006.

Kevin Durant suggested earlier this month that Wade is no longer a top-10 NBA player and said that former Thunder teammate James Harden, now with the Rockets, has supplanted Wade on the list.

Heat fans are hoping Durant’s comments will drive Wade to prove doubters wrong — and perhaps he will — but Wade said he’s just as motivated as every year, regardless of what has been said about him.

Chip on shoulder

“I always enter with a chip on my shoulder. People always think something about something,” Wade said. “I’ve played with that chip just because of who I am and where I come from, and I’ll always play that way.”

But just because Wade isn’t completely focused on proving doubters wrong doesn’t mean that he won’t make the public forget about the hobbled version of him that took the hardwood in the playoffs, averaging a career-low 15.9 points per game.

Wade, LeBron James and coach Erik Spoelstra all indicated that Wade is healthier than he’s been in a long while. The previous two summers, Wade underwent offseason surgery. The bone bruise on his knee that plagued Wade in the latter half of last season has fully healed and didn’t require surgery.

“I hear ‘A healthy Dwyane Wade’ and I get excited,” James said. “This is probably as healthy as he’s been since [2010] training camp. He’s hungry. He’s hungry to get back to form and to show why he’s one of the greatest two-guards to ever play this game.”

Spoelstra expressed disappointment that Wade’s insistence on playing through injury in last year’s playoffs was framed as a negative storyline.

When Wade injured his knee in a regular-season game against Boston, he knew the only way to get healthy was to take time off, three to four weeks. Instead, he played through the injury in a diminished capacity, drawing criticism and cries that the 11-year veteran was on the decline.

“That should be celebrated. Most players probably wouldn’t have played, and you don’t leave yourself subjected to that kind of criticism,” Spoelstra said. “He played through it with the doctors’ and our trainers’ support, knowing that it couldn’t get worse, but it wasn’t going to get better either. He had to do it in different ways and he did take a lot of criticism, but he’s a warrior for playing through that.”

This could be the first season Wade is healthy since becoming fully comfortable in his role on this team.

The second option

“I’m the second option. Let’s just point-blank say it,” Wade said. “Obviously I don’t have the ball as much so I’ve got to be a better post-up player, I’ve got to be way more efficient than I’ve ever been. I’ve got to — kind of like I did with the Olympic team — find ways to be ‘involved when I’m not involved.’”

Since the arrival of James and Chris Bosh, Wade has gradually improved at affecting the game without being the primary ballhandler, learning how to better cut to the basket, rebound and play defense.

Wade joked that he still thinks he’s a “pretty good” second option, and perhaps narratives of his decline are premature. With the efficacy Wade developed the past two seasons in his secondary role and a body healthier than it’s been in a while, the nine-time All-Star may be poised to have one of his most efficient seasons.

Wade may not be the king of Miami anymore, but the Heat seem pretty content to have Wade be a foundational piece as it embarks on a mission for a third title in a row.

We don't believe you,you need more people.He says that every year D washed is the new name until proven otherwise
  • yroholla
    yroholla Members Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

But times change.

Chip on shoulder

The second option

Unless Tim Grover n Wade do they job, Wade is a wild card
  • infamous114
    Options
  • infamous114
    Options
    Ethan J. Skolnick ‏@EthanJSkolnick 59s

Erik Spoelstra pleased by the shape that Ray Allen came into camp. "He's the lightest, lowest body fat since college."
  • ATTS
    ATTS Members Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Heat should of 3peated already if Lebron hadn't frozen up in 2011. That Mavs team should of been ran off the court.

I agree ........ And Wade was healthy that finals....but mentally bron wasnt ready...no way skinny Shawn Marion was that dominant
  • ATTS
    ATTS Members Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ATTS wrote: »
    usmarin3 wrote: »

I agree ........ And Wade was healthy that finals....but mentally bron wasnt ready...no way skinny Shawn Marion was that dominant defensively

• stringer bell
    Options
    Joseph Goodman ‏@JoeGoodmanJr 17h

Beasley on playing time: "I can't control minutes. I ain't got no minutes in my pocket and I don't got no crazy cell-phone plan."
  • infamous114
    Options
    Sunday's Red and White scrimmage is going to be streamed on Heat.com. Think it starts at 6.
  • infamous114
    Options
  • stringer bell
    Options
    Lmao.. Beasley is listed @ 6'10.. The ? looks like his only 6'7 compared to Bron in that pic...
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn @ Ray Allen being 197 pounds now..Something about playing for us makes ? wanna get even more in shape.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn @ Ray Allen being 197 pounds now..Something about playing for us makes ? wanna get even more in shape.

That's that miami ?
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I THOUGHT RASHARD LEWIS WOULDA HAD A GREAT2 IMPACT ON THE TEAM...
  • infamous114
    Options
    Oden won't play tonight in the scrimmage, according to Spo.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Watching the scrimmage, lebron is headbandless, rashard Lewis hitting 3s, and wade is being aggressihe
  • stringer bell
    Options
    TheBoyRo wrote: »
    Watching the scrimmage, lebron is headbandless, rashard Lewis hitting 3s, and wade is being aggressihe

hbMeQ.gif
  • stringer bell
    edited October 2013
    Options
    espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/9781077/lebron-james-miami-heat-relish-visit-floyd-mayweather-jr
    Floyd Mayweather Jr. visits Heat

MIAMI -- By most accounts, undefeated boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. delivered a knockout message Sunday to the Miami Heat as they set out to become just the fourth team in NBA history to win three straight titles.

Mayweather was seen exiting the Heat's practice facility just as reporters were entering to interview players. By then, he had already gotten a power message across to an awed LeBron James and several of his teammates.

"With him being 17 years-and-0 -- we're trying to defend two titles -- he's been defending for a long time," James said. "He definitely knows where we're coming from. It's definitely exciting to have someone, one of the greatest of all time, to be in your presence. It's something you can talk about years from now when you look back on the history of sports. That guy was at our practice."

Miami spent Sunday preparing for its preseason opener Monday against Atlanta, and the two-time defending champions open the regular season Oct. 29 against Chicago. The Heat are trying to become just the fourth team in NBA history to win three consecutive titles.

Mayweather, 36, has collected at least eight major championship belts over his decorated career. He has attended several Heat games over the past three seasons and has fought at least once at AmericanAirlines arena during a 17-year boxing career that has made him one of the wealthiest prizefighters in history.

But it's rare moment when Heat team president Pat Riley, known for running a tight-knit organization, has allowed outsiders -- even high-profile celebrities -- to attend workouts and address the team.

Riley, however, is also a huge boxing fan and has followed the sport since before his playing days in the NBA. Heat star Dwyane Wade, who has been in Miami for all 11 of his NBA seasons, said he didn't recall a similar practice visit from another icon.

"From one champion to another, he just talked about being proud of us and how we handled ourselves," Wade said. "He knows, as a champion, how hard it is to go out there and compete when people try to take you down, take what you work for. He kept telling us how proud he is of us. If you got up today and you were a little tired, you walk in and see the champ, you work a little harder."

Mayweather certainly has been a polarizing figure among the Heat. James, Wade and several other players on the team are huge fans of his flamboyant, brash style in and out of the ring. Mayweather is known to flash his riches and has posted photos on social media of betting slips when he's won money gambling on sports, including Heat games.

But Heat coach Erik Spoelstra has been a loyal fan of boxing legend Manny Pacquiao, who was long regarded as Mayweather's biggest rival though the two have never met in the ring despite years of failed negotiations to fight.

Spoelstra, who is of Filipino descent like Pacquiao, played coy when asked about Mayweather's presence Sunday and deferred questions about his message to other Heat players. Spoelstra did say the Mayweather deserved universal respect as a world champion who has remained at the top of his sport for the better part of two decades.

"I thought about messing with [Spoelstra] just a little bit," Heat center Chris Bosh said. "We always try to give Spo a tough time when anybody from the Philippines goes down. That's no disrespect to Pacquiao. He's one of the greatest to ever do it. But we had the undefeated champ here. It was fantastic just to be full of that energy and be in that aura and just soak up whatever he had to say."
This discussion has been closed.