Video: Driver in a Range Rover Runs Over Group Of Bikers In NYC...

Options

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/04/20820832-gloria-allred-injured-biker-was-innocent-victim-in-clash-with-suv?lite
    Gloria Allred: Injured biker was 'innocent victim' in clash with SUV

The motorcycle rider whose spine was crushed when he was run over by an SUV fleeing an angry swarm of bikers is an "innocent victim" who was trying to calm the confrontation, his high-profile attorney said Friday.

At a Manhattan news conference, Gloria Allred said Edwin "Jay" Mieses, 32, had his back to the Range Rover and was trying to get fellow bikers to walk away when he was struck "at top speed" last Sunday.

"His sole intention was to defuse the situation," said Allred, a Los Angeles attorney who often handles headline-grabbing sexual harassment cases.

"Watch that huge vehicle, SUV, blast off, and watch it as it is lifted several feet off the ground as it rolls over Edwin Mieses," she said of video of the incident, which has gotten millions of hits on YouTube.

Allred said she was in no way justifying what happened after Mieses was hit, when the driver, Alexian Lien, was chased 50 blocks by the riders, pulled from his vehicle and beaten.

"Edwin Mieses and his family deplore what happened to the driver of the SUV," she said.

"However, let us not lose sight of the fact that Mr. Mieses had done nothing to Mr. Lien," she added. "We don't think our client should have been run over and crushed."

Allred said the family has not decided whether to sue Lien, 33, and is cooperating with the Manhattan District Attorney's office as it investigates.

Lien's wife, Rosalyn Ng, released a statement Thursday expressing sympathy for Mieses but saying her husband had no choice but to flee the bikers because it was a "life-threatening situation."

"Our fear for our lives was confirmed when the incident ended with the ruthless and brutal attack on my husband, me, and, most importantly, our two-year-old child," Ng said.

Christopher Cruz was charged with reckless driving and unlawful imprisonment for slowing down in front of Lien's Range Rover as the pack of riders roared down West Side Highway.

When Lien clipped Cruz's back tire, other bikers stopped and some began attacking the SUV with their helmets and slashing its tires, police said.

That's when Lien sped away, hitting Mieses, who suffered a broken spine, torn aortic valve and punctured lung.

“Doctors have indicated they do not know whether or not he will ever walk again,” Allred said.

"It's a miracle he survived. He faces a very uncertain future."

The bikers were taking part in a loosely organized unauthorized daredevil rally dubbed Hollywood Stuntz, police said. Mieses, an aspiring rapper from Lawrence, Mass., only knew one other rider, said his wife, who defended the two-wheelers.

"They are not gang members. They are not thugs," Dayana Mejia said, tearfully describing her husband as a devoted father of two.

Allred deflected questions about her new client's driving record: he was named a habitual traffic offender in June and his right to drive was revoked until 2017; he does not have a motorcycle license, records show.

She said it was "irrelevant" because even though he drove to and participated in the rally, he was off his bike at the time he was run over. She also upbraided the public for "prejudice" against bikers.

She said the family was seeking justice but when asked what form that would take, she replied, "We'll see."

Mieses father, a Pennsylvania pastor, said he felt "no anger" toward anyone, including Lien.

"The driver of the SUV is going to eventually have to face what he did," he said.
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    been riding for eight years, one thing you dont do is ? with anyone in car, truck, suv or whatever........if anything you kick there door if they wronged you and roll the ? out.

Break checking a 4000 lb suv, your ass deserves to get ran over for such stupidity.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol hell yea.

Biker slows down in front of me while I'm in a range like I can't run em over? Aunt Jemina pancakes my ? .

Then the whole club stops? You know it's on and popping...so you keep driving. I see no wrong on the part of the driver.

The only wrong I do see is that the driver didn't hit them brakes when the bike rider rolled up behind him.

? that ? , I woulda done the same thing
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the range driver wasnt too scared...no cops called...no homies called...

the least he could have done was led them to some area he was known and tried to negotiate with them

if you THAT scared find the nearest precinct and park right in front

Negotiate? My ? , you the type to get shot and rob in a dark alley. When a gang a maphukas are together and you just hit their boy, no one is trying to negotiate straight up. Smh and lol @ negotiate. You better learn how the streets move or get swallowed by it
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of the bikers was an off duty cop, who didn't call police or do ? to stop it. He also didn't let his fellow officers know he was there until Wednesday.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    been riding for eight years, one thing you dont do is ? with anyone in car, truck, suv or whatever........if anything you kick there door if they wronged you and roll the ? out.

Break checking a 4000 lb suv, your ass deserves to get ran over for such stupidity.

I was going to work one day and i turned right switched lanes n 3 guys on nbikes went around me n one thought i cut him off kinda..i raised my hand m was like my fault...and dude drove ahead of me and flipped me off...bruh that it was good

Till we got at the red light...this dude at have the heart to look back at me nh...i felt like running his ? ass over
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think they were trying to hurt fam untill he did that dumb ? . You can't just run over ? cuz they won't get out your way. Then its a 100 of them. Like I said before, he put his own family in danger trying to be on some tough ? .

They still caught up with him.
    They knocked his window out and beat the ? out of him in front of his family. They could have took his life...or killed his family if they was grimy like that. Its better to think than react. His windows were up.. dude didn't even try to diffuse that ? .

You can't flee from the scene of an accident.

You gotta think....

They didn't just not get out of his way, they had surrounded his vehicle ,and started banging on his ? .
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    One of the bikers was an off duty cop, who didn't call police or do ? to stop it. He also didn't let his fellow officers know he was there until Wednesday.
    He was on his Donnie Brasco ? claiming he was undercover cop who didn't want to blow his cover should not save him from some type of discipline action! He could've kept them from blocking all lanes so cars could get by without letting on that he was a cop .... Well, thinking about it, I doubt he could've keep all of them in line cause a lot of those cats were riding ? and not giving any ? .
  • stringer bell
    Options
    nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/10/more-cops-were-among-violent-biker-gang.html
    At Least Five More Cops Were Among Biker Gang That Attacked SUV

Yesterday, the New York Post reported that an off-duty undercover narcotics detective was among the group of motorcyclists that attacked a family as they drove their Range Rover up the West Side Highway last weekend. (He reportedly did not "[get] involved at the scene," though he also did not try to stop the assault.) Now, ABC News and DNAinfo report that at least five other off-duty members of the NYPD participated in the ride and witnessed some part of the confrontation, which began when 33-year-old Alexian Lien bumped one of the bikers with his SUV and ended with Lien being dragged from the car, beaten, and slashed in front of his wife and 2-year-old daughter after a high-speed chase.

According to DNAinfo's sources, the cops in question include another detective, a sergeant, and three regular officers. It's not clear if any of them played an active role in the assault, but all will likely face disciplinary action because they did not tell their supervisors they were present for the incident until Wednesday. An NYPD spokesman confirmed that internal affairs has launched an investigation, but would not comment further.

Meanwhile, two bikers who were filmed taking part in the melee turned themselves in on Friday. 35-year-old Robert Sims, who attempted to pull open the door of Lien's Range Rover, has been charged with assault and criminal possession of a weapon, among other things, according to the New York Daily News. 38-year-old Reggie Chance, who bashed the car's window with his helmet and yanked Lien onto the street, was questioned yesterday night and will probably be charged with something soon. The police are still working to identify more of the attackers.

And finally, high-profile lawyer Gloria Allred has gotten involved in the case. She is representing Edwin Mieses, the motorcyclist whom Lien ran over and possibly paralyzed as he fled the group. Allred and Mieses's wife, Dayana, claim that he was trying to "diffuse the situation" before he was hit. For now, they're not calling for charges against Lien, though they are still deciding on whether to sue him. Basically, this thing is a big, scary mess.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^ My gut reaction is not all of them was 'undercover' in the terms of infiltrating the bikers...instead, they were probably jusy off duty. Big difference.

As far as why an undrcover didnt intervene, he shouldnt have. Depending on what he was investigating, 1 beat down aint worth your whole family's identity bein found out and u labeled a snitch. Google 'Jay Dobyns', ATF agent who infiltrated the Hells Angels. He had to go into witness protection
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This whole situation is stupid and no one is telling the whole truth.If the bikers were in the wrong than the man did the right thing.Bikers seem to think they own the road whipping througj traffic and such.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't be running over ? though.
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont see where dude did anything wrong. One of them getting ran over is just a result of the environment they created. Dude probably wasnt even thinkin bout running that fool over, he was just trying to get him and his family the ? away from the situation.
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think they were trying to hurt fam untill he did that dumb ? . You can't just run over ? cuz they won't get out your way. Then its a 100 of them. Like I said before, he put his own family in danger trying to be on some tough ? .

They still caught up with him.
    They knocked his window out and beat the ? out of him in front of his family. They could have took his life...or killed his family if they was grimy like that. Its better to think than react. His windows were up.. dude didn't even try to diffuse that ? .

You can't flee from the scene of an accident.

You gotta think....

Yea...I said that earlier. If dudes were really grimy like that, they would've blew a hole in dude's head the moment they caught up with him. You was tryna protect your daughter, that's understandable. They upset over you running over their friend with an SUV, that's understandable.

In my opinion, both groups were wrong. Nobody was really in the right here. I haven't read this case in a few days cuz I already dont like the way the media is framing it. Saying he's smart, successful, Ivy league educated...like any of that ? has anything to do with what happened out there. It's just coded language that he's a nice Asian man and the bikers were a pack of savage ? .
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah, Ive been riding for a minute myself.

Ive known people who open the passenger door of the driver in question and ride off, because that means they have to get out their car and close their door. lol
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The driver should at fault no way someone deserves broken legs because they thought they were threatened
  • stringer bell
    Options
    nydailynews.com/new-york/beatdown-suspect-shows-class-act-rude-gesture-suv-attack-arraignment-article-1.1478038
    Reginald (Reggie) Chance flips bird before arraignment in biker-SUV attack
    The suspect was in Manhattan Criminal Court facing assault and gang assault charges in the brutal Sept. 29 beating of Alexian Lien. He flipped off reporters with both middle fingers moments before appearing in front of a judge.

A defiant motorcyclist caught on video smashing an SUV window with his helmet after a wild chase in upper Manhattan gave the middle finger to reporters in court Sunday.

Reginald (Reggie) Chance, 37, was in Manhattan Criminal Court facing assault and gang assault charges in the brutal beating of Alexian Lien when he flipped off reporters with both middle fingers moments before he appeared in front of a judge.

Chance is the rider wearing a black leather jacket, in the viral video of the Sept. 29 chase, who violently smashes the driver’s window with his helmet, the criminal complaint alleges.

Chance, of Brooklyn, was charged with assault, gang assault and criminal mischief, and bail was set at $75,000 cash or $100,000 bond. He was driving with a suspended license, prosecutors said.

Chance's attorney, Gregory Watts, said his client didn’t assault anyone and chased Ng to identify who had struck the motorcyclist.

Police also released a photograph of a new unnamed suspect Sunday night. The biker had a flag sticker of "Guyana" on the rear of the motorcycle, cops said.

Christopher Cruz, 28, who police say sparked the chaotic confrontation by cutting off Lien’s Range Rover and stopping short, was charged last week in the assault and is out on bail. He was also driving without a license.

A third biker, Robert Sims, 35, of Brooklyn, surrendered Friday and has been arraigned on charges including gang assault.

Another video appeared on websites over the weekend showing bikers in Ridgewood, Queens, harassing drivers, violently hitting one car’s window. It was unclear if it was the same group.

bikers7n-1-web.jpg
    Reginald (Reggie) Chance, 37, flips off reporters in court Sunday before being charged with taking part in the vicious mob attack in New York on SUV driver Alexian Lien in front of the victim’s wife and toddler.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gotdayum. That ? 's hairline perfectly matches the helmet shape.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nydailynews.com/new-york/beatdown-suspect-shows-class-act-rude-gesture-suv-attack-arraignment-article-1.1478038
    Reginald (Reggie) Chance flips bird before arraignment in biker-SUV attack
    The suspect was in Manhattan Criminal Court facing assault and gang assault charges in the brutal Sept. 29 beating of Alexian Lien. He flipped off reporters with both middle fingers moments before appearing in front of a judge.

A defiant motorcyclist caught on video smashing an SUV window with his helmet after a wild chase in upper Manhattan gave the middle finger to reporters in court Sunday.

Reginald (Reggie) Chance, 37, was in Manhattan Criminal Court facing assault and gang assault charges in the brutal beating of Alexian Lien when he flipped off reporters with both middle fingers moments before he appeared in front of a judge.

Chance is the rider wearing a black leather jacket, in the viral video of the Sept. 29 chase, who violently smashes the driver’s window with his helmet, the criminal complaint alleges.

Chance, of Brooklyn, was charged with assault, gang assault and criminal mischief, and bail was set at $75,000 cash or $100,000 bond. He was driving with a suspended license, prosecutors said.

Chance's attorney, Gregory Watts, said his client didn’t assault anyone and chased Ng to identify who had struck the motorcyclist.

Police also released a photograph of a new unnamed suspect Sunday night. The biker had a flag sticker of "Guyana" on the rear of the motorcycle, cops said.

Christopher Cruz, 28, who police say sparked the chaotic confrontation by cutting off Lien’s Range Rover and stopping short, was charged last week in the assault and is out on bail. He was also driving without a license.

A third biker, Robert Sims, 35, of Brooklyn, surrendered Friday and has been arraigned on charges including gang assault.

Another video appeared on websites over the weekend showing bikers in Ridgewood, Queens, harassing drivers, violently hitting one car’s window. It was unclear if it was the same group.

bikers7n-1-web.jpg
    Reginald (Reggie) Chance, 37, flips off reporters in court Sunday before being charged with taking part in the vicious mob attack in New York on SUV driver Alexian Lien in front of the victim’s wife and toddler.

dude is being made into a villian..

of course i would be mad an flippin the bird too....he is already guilty
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Asian runs over a bunch of blacks n Latinos and is made to be the victim. Isnt one of the people ? ? ran over paralyzed? He deserved that ass beating
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i still think alot of people on here are missing the point.

just because you think your in danger doesnt always mean you are in danger.

so if your in a room full of white people and they all staring at you....can you paralyze on of them because of their aggressive stares? i mean white people have killed black men for less in the past and have a history of slavery and ill will towards blacks right.

why didnt the ? just slow down and let them pass?

why do you ? act like you never annoyed someone? just because you dont think you did doesnt mean you didnt. do you deserve to be paralyzed for it?

some of you are trying so hard to prove guilt that you are missing the small facts that make the ? guilty.

some of yall sounds like you are final getting back at bikers because you didnt have the ? to do it yourself so you back the ? .
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Running over them just because they were standing around after he hit a guy who brake-checked him: Foul

Running over them because they were beating on the car and trying to slash the tires after he hit a guy who brake-checked him: Fair
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm wit the driver...get the ? outta the street...
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So i happened to talk to someone that was apart of this event and its a bunch of different clubs or riders from all over that take part in it. Basically some riders were running lights, riding on the opposite lane and or sidewalk (as u can see in the video) while others, were stop at light and actually obeying the traffic laws cuz they dont ride like that.