Op-Ed: Five Ideas For the Next Century of Taxes

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
By: Hamilton Nolan

Tomorrow is the 100th anniversary of the federal income tax. Thank you, federal income tax, for all the things you have bought this country, except the wars! On this auspicious anniversary, here are five tax ideas to make the next 100 years even better.

1) Abolish the payroll tax. Not only is it awfully regressive, but it's capped in order to exempt the very rich from paying it on most of their earnings. Get rid of it in the name of progressive taxation and fairness.

2) Raise taxes on the very rich. America today has a level of income inequality not seen since the Gilded Age. This is not good. Vast income and wealth inequality is bad for a democratic society. Plus, the simple fact is: people do not need tens of millions of dollars. Especially not while tens of millions of other people are destitute and suffering. A maximum income would be nice. But in the meantime, a steep progressive tax rate on the earnings of plutocrats would make our country a better place.

3) Tax investment income as income. "Income," a word that a normal person should be able to comprehend easily, is money that you get. Whether you're paid money by the place you work, or whether you get money from investments you've made in the stock market, either way, it is money, and it's yours. For all practical purposes, income is income. Capital gains should not be taxed at a lower rate than regular earned income. Not only because of common sense, but because investment income overwhelmingly accrues to the rich. This tax difference is a huge structural barrier to economic inequality.

4) Seek and destroy offshore tax havens. Easier said than done, yes. But when the world's biggest (and most admired by liberals!) corporations are using the globe as one big Stratego board to avoid paying their fair share of taxes to anyone, it's time for nations to start seriously working to ensure that—at the very least—the routine use of tax havens is not considered to be ethical corporate behavior.

5) End municipal tax breaks for corporations. U.S. cities, counties, and states desperate for jobs compete with one another to offer companies the sweetest possible package of tax breaks in order to locate themselves in a particular place. This is a great deal for companies, but a monumental loss for the nation as a whole. A company being handed corporate welfare in order to choose one U.S. state over another is nothing but a transfer of public wealth into private hands. Stop it.

And give yourself a pat on the back, fellow American. You're a taxpayer! You make this whole thing work.

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    is this "five tax ideas" or "take money from rich people by whatever means are available and hand it over to me and/or the rest of America"

because that's cool and all, but let's be upfront about it since there's minimal variation on that theme
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can support the proposals for the most part. Most of what's going on today comes from that whole "starve the beast" mentality.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    By doing this the rich may leave your country imo.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They barely live here anyway. Besides this is a country, not a haven, we have real issues that effect everybody
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fair taxes sounds legit
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so the solution is tax the mofos who already pay the most taxes even more?

I disagree with all of your suggestions except for #4

there are legitimate reasons for the current tax structure of #1), #3), and #5)

a better way to reform taxes is change the estate tax and to change the individual rates for new millionaires, vs. older ones

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Put them in the guillotine
  • gem$tone
    gem$tone Members Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

a better way to reform taxes is change the estate tax and to change the individual rates for new millionaires, vs. older ones

Pardon my ignorance, but what are those reasons?

Maybe those taxes shouldn't be done away with but they should be altered. As a new millionaire or better yet if you hit the lottery, damn near half of that money is being taxed. Why isn't hat imposed on every millionaire. But I'm not as knowledgeable as others so I welcome a bit of education on the matter.

• blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gem$tone wrote: »

Pardon my ignorance, but what are those reasons?

Maybe those taxes shouldn't be done away with but they should be altered. As a new millionaire or better yet if you hit the lottery, damn near half of that money is being taxed. Why isn't hat imposed on every millionaire. But I'm not as knowledgeable as others so I welcome a bit of education on the matter.

In a nutshell:

1) - Not capping the payroll tax encourages businesses not to grow at certain stages.......if a business want to grow, an uncapped payroll tax discourages business owners from investing in more workers

3) - A lower capital gains tax encourages investment and financial intermediation.......anything that encourages investment is good if people want to increase the number of jobs

5) - Municipal tax breaks are necessary to attract businesses to certain areas that would not otherwise be geographically attractive..........this especially important employment in smaller towns
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    increase marginal tax