Should all drugs be decriminalized? What about legalized?

Options
2»

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Ending the war on drugs frees up billions of dollars but it will also cause an unemployment hike unlike something scene in decades.

Every police jurisdictiction from local or federal has drug task forces. Without that where are all those people gonna work? Some police stations also achieved independence by using drug forfeitures. Most people on prison are in for nonviolent drug crimes so you would effectively crush private prisons and the incarceration industry as a whole.

Now I still believe that all drugs should be decriminalized and drug addicts should be treated like mental health patients (one of many things we need to fix here) but it's something to think about.
    well, some of these dudes would presumably move into regulation. some of these dudes will also still be prosecuting drug crimes because there will still be drug-related crimes (see, for example, that cigarette smuggling remains a crime). and yeah, some of these dues will be downsized.

also, if your station/department is independent based on drug forfeitures, then i GUARANTEE that station is dabbling in, at best, morally questionable tactics to do so. ? 'em. and let's get some of those dudes out of prison.

yeah, i concur, there will be some bumps along the way, so it's not a no big deal decision, but still.

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol no...

in before the cliches

too late
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Legalizing drugs and putting the state in charge of sale and regulation could be a source of tax revenue that I think outweighs the cost of some people needing to find new jobs. If a service is redundant then making people pay with their tax dollars does not make any sense; rather than legitimately serving the public their just being given well paying jobs for the heck of it.

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    krokodil should never be legalized.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What about the hazards of the effects of the drugs on the people that dont use them.. much like alcohol but at a much more dangerous level.. Legalizing these drugs will bring these people that try to do them discreetly out in the fray.. its stupid i suppose if you are some hippy who thinks america is a puritanical society by prohibiting the free use of drugs this may float your boat.. but if you have any ? common sense and are not simply just raging against the system you can see the many pitfalls
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What about the hazards of the effects of the drugs on the people that dont use them.. much like alcohol but at a much more dangerous level.. Legalizing these drugs will bring these people that try to do them discreetly out in the fray.. its stupid i suppose if you are some hippy who thinks america is a puritanical society by prohibiting the free use of drugs this may float your boat.. but if you have any ? common sense and are not simply just raging against the system you can see the many pitfalls

The same concept has to be accepted with anything. Truth be told the people into drugs will experiment whether it's legal or illegal so keeping then illegal really serves no purpose.

However they shouldn't be legalized because the last thing we need is corporate advertising for ? , heroin and other drugs Simple decriminalization is enough.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What about all the amphetamines, opiates, barbiturates and other harmful drugs we allow corporations to already advertise and market? Many of which are not adequately tested first, as is the case in the supplement industry.

Also a lot of these drugs are derivatives of things people want prohibited. If heroin is illegal why not ban the substances that are produced from it as well, as they are also harmful and extremely addictive.

• Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Ending the war on drugs frees up billions of dollars but it will also cause an unemployment hike unlike something scene in decades.

Every police jurisdictiction from local or federal has drug task forces. Without that where are all those people gonna work? Some police stations also achieved independence by using drug forfeitures. Most people on prison are in for nonviolent drug crimes so you would effectively crush private prisons and the incarceration industry as a whole.

Now I still believe that all drugs should be decriminalized and drug addicts should be treated like mental health patients (one of many things we need to fix here) but it's something to think about.

I'll do you one better - think of all the money you're taking out of poor people's pocket if you were to eradicate the black market for drugs. (of course, this would never really happen - all those drug taxes ya'll brag about would ensure that the black market would live, just look at New York and cigarettes, but i digress)

We all know how that ? has helped people get by. Word to track 2 on College Dropout. The only friends I had that graduated from college paid their tuition w/ drug hustle money. All that cash would be going right into Corporate America pocket instead.

It's like when Jackie Robinson killed off the ? Leagues - no self-respecting black person was sad to see the segregation end, but it devastated countless black businesses that were dependent on the ? League teams.

There's always Unintended Consequences.
    janklow wrote: »
    alright, but you have to start by giving me corporations that do what drug cartels in Mexico, Colombia, whatever.

lol I could go FULL KTULU and make a case for why they're arguably worse, but I'll pass. Let me just say that legalizing ? would make Columbia a economic superpower, but Mexico will always be ? up, even if you legalize all those poppy fields.

As for the police funding, look, have you noticed how overall crime and murder rates have been on a multi-decade decline? I can see the po-po feeling some real Austerity pain when the Drug War spigot is shut off, but I doubt it'll be as severe as Jono was saying. White Americans, as a general rule, genuinely like and trust their police. It's true. Its not like Mexico where they're so crooked, everyone hates them to the point of not blinking when criminals decapitate them in public like savages.

• janklow
    Options
    i'll say it again: "you don't think legalized, accessible heroin would actually help eliminate the need for people to use krokodil?"
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Let me just say that legalizing ? would make Columbia a economic superpower, but Mexico will always be ? up, even if you legalize all those poppy fields.
    here's the thing, though: it's not so much about fixing the countries in terms of "now they can sell whatever legally," but more about just not giving these cartels the means to run so wild. i mean, they play up the "? Mexicans buy rifles smuggled from America in ones and twos"... while ignoring the fact that they can just buy heavier gear we've handed their actual military and police. if not the military and police themselves.

not absolving the corporations here.
    As for the police funding, look, have you noticed how overall crime and murder rates have been on a multi-decade decline?
    that doesn't seem to have ANYTHING to do with police funding, and really, i wouldn't argue that it does. but that's also because you can play games with asset forfeiture (bust them before they sell the drugs? nah, bust them on when they're flush with cash) you can't with stricter budgets.

plus, we have cops around here that, when they're talking up their work, talk about how low crime is and how effective their policing is... but when pushing gun control legislation, declared that they have seen nonstop increases in incredible violence since 2004. ask me how much i ? trust police claims.

but yeah, all things considered, we generally have respected police in this country. i'll give them that it's not the entrepreneurial enterprise it is in Mexico. although, let them keep buying Bearcats and shooting dogs and we'll see where we go.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    @janklow

You out here acting like Heroin is a good thing. You need methadone just to get off of it. It's a dangerous chemical which is why it is illegal to sell without regulation. It is already regulated for other products as was mentioned. What would making it legal do exactly to eliminate people selling it for purposes other then it's intent or selling Krokodil as a cheaper alternative regardless. You gonna legalize and regulate Krokodil? Heroin is already easy and fairly cheap to get and will be harder to get once legalized and regulated further as a more direct product. IE knockoff Cigarettes, or Bootleg Alcohol or Knock off Prescriptions.

People still get arrested because selling cheap knock-off cigarettes is illegal.. People should go to jail for intentionally selling poison for profit. The jail time should be fair and not based on economics and ethnicity. This doesn't mean that regulation and research shouldn't be tighter with legal drugs which are abused regardless. At least those drugs have an obvious good intent meant to heal rather then escape your responsibilities. Broke people on the street will be knocking more heads because there are less avenues to earn revenue in an environment that has job scarcity. Regardless, these are people with no concern for any human condition other then their own which is why it's easy for them to sell Heroin, ? , etc..
  • janklow
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    You out here acting like Heroin is a good thing. You need methadone just to get off of it. It's a dangerous chemical which is why it is illegal to sell without regulation.
    i'm acting like it's a drug that adults are going to take regardless. and which they need to help to kick regardless (although whether or not you NEED methadone is i guess a question). krokodil's not big here because heroin is not expensive here, so if you think legalizing it will make it crazy expensive, i suppose that's a concern, but now you can use the leftover DEA remnants to worry about krokodil and knock-off heroin.

also, legalizing everything kind of means legalizing everything. fine, krokodil's legal.
    People still get arrested because selling cheap knock-off cigarettes is illegal.. People should go to jail for intentionally selling poison for profit.
    they put people in jail for selling drugs now... but it hasn't stopped the sale of drugs. or the profits and/or criminal violence related to them.
    This doesn't mean that regulation and research shouldn't be tighter with legal drugs which are abused regardless. At least those drugs have an obvious good intent meant to heal rather then escape your responsibilities.
    not really sure what this means. heroin and ? can and have been used medicinally, but i imagine you're lumping them in with the latter. ANYTHING, frankly, can be abused to escape responsibilities. and some of the drugs not commonly thought of as having medicinal uses are in situations where research isn't really done to see what uses they might have.
  • No_Way_Jose
    No_Way_Jose Members Posts: 71
    Options
    Legalization? No. Decriminalization? Yes. ? in the street gotta eat.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    i'll say it again: "you don't think legalized, accessible heroin would actually help eliminate the need for people to use krokodil?"
    Let me just say that legalizing ? would make Columbia a economic superpower, but Mexico will always be ? up, even if you legalize all those poppy fields.
    here's the thing, though: it's not so much about fixing the countries in terms of "now they can sell whatever legally," but more about just not giving these cartels the means to run so wild. i mean, they play up the "? Mexicans buy rifles smuggled from America in ones and twos"... while ignoring the fact that they can just buy heavier gear we've handed their actual military and police. if not the military and police themselves.

not absolving the corporations here.
    As for the police funding, look, have you noticed how overall crime and murder rates have been on a multi-decade decline?
    that doesn't seem to have ANYTHING to do with police funding, and really, i wouldn't argue that it does. but that's also because you can play games with asset forfeiture (bust them before they sell the drugs? nah, bust them on when they're flush with cash) you can't with stricter budgets.

plus, we have cops around here that, when they're talking up their work, talk about how low crime is and how effective their policing is... but when pushing gun control legislation, declared that they have seen nonstop increases in incredible violence since 2004. ask me how much i ? trust police claims.

but yeah, all things considered, we generally have respected police in this country. i'll give them that it's not the entrepreneurial enterprise it is in Mexico. although, let them keep buying Bearcats and shooting dogs and we'll see where we go.

@janklow I don't know about the rest but krokodil should most definitely never be legalized.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only if being able to ? a fiend for panhandling, assaulting, or bothering you in some other way is too decriminalized. You can't have crackheads, cranksters, ? off that "Linsday Lohan," or "Justin Beiber," running around this muthafucka with no ? given. ? isn't sexy and with eventually ruin your nation. Dope fiends at the most deserve a bullet in the back of the head, at the least access to that uncut raw in hopes that they O.D. and die.
  • janklow
    Options
    @janklow I don't know about the rest but krokodil should most definitely never be legalized.
    my ultimate theory --and feel free to disagree-- is that decriminalizing/legalizing drugs is going to prevent us from a wave of krokodil users. i doubt keeping it illegal keeps people from using it, though.