What are your favourite android apps at the moment?

Options
LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
Mine right now are these:

Black Board: app that allows you to check your school's blackboard portal to see grades, due dates, lecture materials, professor announcements, tutorial schedules and more. Really useful

FL Studio Mobile: While I am pretty disappointed at how limited this DAW is it can still be fairly entertaining. I have read that they are adding VST support in later versions so it looks like it will become a lot more useful. Hopefully they allow for users to upload their own sample banks and use those sometime soon. The stock sounds are pretty good though.

Dolphin Browser: Fastest browser I have found on android. I tried about 6 other ones out, not including Chrome and samsung's default browser. This one proved to be the fastest

Simply Being: An App that teaches you how to meditate. It walks users through various meditation exercises and even plays serene calming music if that is your preference.

Mixiologist: This app literally has EVERY alcoholic drink recipe you can imagine. Thousands and thousands of them in this thing. Great for parties. I remember I asked for a polar bear at a club once and the broad didn't know how to make it. Pulled the recipe showed her and bam I got it.

Office Suite: This is a really handy word processor that allows users to create and edit word documents, as well as excel spreadsheets and powerpoints. It also enables users to open PDF and other document file types and allows you to edit them which is cool.

last but not least

Swift Key: If you are not using swift key you might be sleeping on the best app I have found on Android so far. The stock autocorrect was garbage. I ended up getting fed up with it within a day of owning my phone. I found swift key to be way better at predicting what I want to type and much quicker at learning my typing patterns. It is far superior to the stock autocorrect app, and if you are still using that I suggest trying out swift key.

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anything from the Go Development team really. I got their launcher, SMS, web browser, battery monitor, dialer, and a few other widgets. I like how customizable they are plus they usually have some pretty good functionality too.

I just saw that Microsoft released a remote desktop app that will let you control your Windows 8 machine with your Android phone. I'll try that when I get home.
  • LUClEN
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Anything from the Go Development team really. I got their launcher, SMS, web browser, battery monitor, dialer, and a few other widgets. I like how customizable they are plus they usually have some pretty good functionality too.

I just saw that Microsoft released a remote desktop app that will let you control your Windows 8 machine with your Android phone. I'll try that when I get home.

That's sick. I gotta get up on that today

Whats so much better about the GO team's SMS and dialer compared to the stock ones I am using?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    The big thing about Go products is customization. There are hundreds of skins for all of their apps, so from a cosmetic stance, you can make them look however you want. Hell with the SMS, there is even a built-in theme creator. They also have options that your stock apps might not have. For instance the Go SMS has a bunch of emoticon, language, and function plug-ins that might give it capabilities that your stock SMS doesn't have.
  • naomi shambles
    naomi shambles Members Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Options
    Tru2go allows me to bank on the go with my credit union. I can even deposit checks using my phone. Saves me a drive to the credit union.

Period Tracker

Hulu Plus...I watch different shows during lunch break at work.

AE ...I watch the First 48, Cold Case Files, and Billy the Exterminator.

Indeed...best app for jobs in my opinion.

Mint summarizes my financial situation.

Brightest Flash light
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    B1 Free Archiver: basically winzip/winrar for android. not only can you unpack zips and rars, you can pack some yourself as well. GOAT for downloading mixtapes off datpiff or something.

KeepSafe: Hides your pictures and keeps them in a safe only accessible by you.

Komik: Comic book reader

MangaSearch: Self explanatory

Battery Indicator: needed because motorola only display battery levels in increments of 10
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    is there a way to get apps you have to pay for free?
  • merocane
    merocane Members Posts: 70 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Old school way was googling (insertappname)here.apk or a space instead of the file extension + apk.

Anyway..

I use Evernote for everything. Get the widget too. I use it for literally everything. Voice record, take notes, my maintenance manual for the whip, everything.

Indeed's app is trash (as of summer 2013)--I couldn't apply to jobs easily through it.

Ringdroid to make ringtones despite the fact my phone is always on vibrate.

Zedge for wallpapers and notification tones.

I'm too leery of running Kickasstorrents' app on my phone, but I rock with the site.

Credit Karma is a must-have if you're grown.

FBReader because Kindle app removed drag & drop support.

Parcels is self-explanatory.

Camera 360/Photo Grid/Photoshop Express combo for pictures and what not.
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    lol damn dont know I never thought of that

just got supergnes for free
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Verizon messages- this application is much like iMessage is a must have IMO for Android users on the Verizon network. This app acts as a text messaging client and it can replace the stock one allowing users to text each other and communicate to non mobile devices such as tablets and PCs.

ESPN Scorecenter- you can program your favorite teams and it keeps you updated with the stats and scores quarter by quarter.

Hide it Pro- Best app on the Android market in my opinion for hiding private pictures and videos you don't want everyone seeing. The app looks just like audio manager as far as the skin but is much more underneath. Pictures, video, text messages conversations, and even apps can be hidden on this app. Think you need to root your phone to enable this app to hide other apps.

Pandora- it gives you the user like 30 or 40 hours per month of free music stations featuring their favorite artist before it asks the user to upgrade to the paid version.

Nike Running- it keeps up with the distance you run and the amount of calories you burn.

Flixster- you can read movie reviews of the upcoming movies to the big screen.
  • Crude_
    Options
    One other one....

Kii Keyboard- its just about as good as Swift key plus its free and they don't make you do a free trial and force you to pay for the paid version like Swift key does.
  • Bcotton5
    edited October 2013
    Options
    lol I got swiftkey for free of www.freeapkandroindapp.com

downloading that Call Of Duty right now
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Spotify
    Google Music too. I've got my whole music catalog uploaded.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Avabel Online
    Dungeon Hunter 4
    ePSXe PS1 emulator
    Firefox
    Swiftkey

• Bcotton5
    Options
    lol now that I know how to get free aps put me on some more ?
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    is firefox the best browser?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I liked Chrome better than Firefox. I'm using Next Browser from the Go Development team now. It's very smooth.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dolphin & chrome are the best
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Ive been using Firefox but I might try Dolphin, anyone with a S4 get the air controls to work while web browsing?

The only time it works for me is previewing emails/texts and gallery
  • LUClEN
    Options
    BBM is now available for Android

Osmos HD is a really cool game. Unique idea and pretty fun.

Magisto is pretty good for editing videos. there are probably better video editors though
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I never understood. What's the point of BBM? What makes it better than regular text messaging or Google Hangouts?
  • Crude_
    Options
    I never understood. What's the point of BBM? What makes it better than regular text messaging or Google Hangouts?

BBM is much more secure.

It has a cleaner interface than some of the other similar messaging services to.

BBM is really more so suited for those folks who want to be social butterflies but don't want to give their number to everyone or folks that want to carry on private conversations but don't want to share their number.

Soon as you create a BBM account you're assigned a PIN consisting of numerical digits and letters.

If you want to keep in touch with someone who also has BBM you simply can give them your PIN or get theirs and invite them to chat.

You can also block users just as easily as you add them.

I hadn't really used Google Hangouts that much but I think you have to share your email address on there.

Security issues could come up with that unless you were using a ? email and who wants to do that all the time.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

BBM is much more secure.

It has a cleaner interface than some of the other similar messaging services to.

BBM is really more so suited for those folks who want to be social butterflies but don't want to give their number to everyone or folks that want to carry on private conversations but don't want to share their number.

Soon as you create a BBM account you're assigned a PIN consisting of numerical digits and letters.

If you want to keep in touch with someone who also has BBM you simply can give them your PIN or get theirs and invite them to chat.

You can also block users just as easily as you add them.

I hadn't really used Google Hangouts that much but I think you have to share your email address on there.

Security issues could come up with that unless you were using a ? email and who wants to do that all the time.

Gotcha. Still given the existence of things like Faceboook messaging, Google+, and all the other options out there, you'd think people wouldn't care as much about BBM with Blackberry as a brand going the way of the dodo.

• Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Give me some more apps people. I'm new to Android. Also some good games.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    For games I usually just play EA's tetris game, or Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    I need some games too