Should the WWE go BACK to the ATTITUDE Era?

genocidecutter
genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in Off The Turn Buckle
Heres a totally original question that has never been asked before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q49ae9Z2-t4

Should WWE go BACK to the ATTITUDE Era? 17 votes

Yes
35%
kj_da_midwest_mobstathemadlionsfanqtipp73illestni99ainneOl' FredStrictly Business UK 6 votes
No
64%
5th LetterwillhustlejonoBroddieCymicaldanePanchoYoSanchoAlready Home_17TheBoyRoTRILLip BrooksgenocidecutterLUClEN 11 votes

Comments

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think id rather see the ruthless aggression era
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    i think id rather see the ruthless aggression era

This.

I dont think the Attitude Era will help anyways.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    No
    No way. Move forward never backwards.

I already witnessed the Golden Era, New Generation and Attitude Eras when they were actually fresh and relevant. What worked back then won't necessarily work today because pop culture is completely different and the best wrestling is the one that adapts to how society presently is. Attitude Era for example worked during an age of political incorrectness being the norm and crash TV being the latest fad, you can't really bring that back in an era where none of that is even relevant anymore.

I stopped watching after the alliance fiasco for about 10 years so I never saw even one minute of the Ruthless Agression era but don't regress back to that either. If I do want to see that I could always look back at archives. They're trying to shepherd in a new era and should continue with that.
  • Yes
    I certainly don't agree with repeating history & rehashing old stuff, but I really do feel the the PG era is missing something.
    These days so many moves are banned, & you only see blood if someone has a genuine hardway accident.

I think the sleaziness of the attitude era doesn't need to return, but the hardness does.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Not only is it too difficult to capture lightening in a bottle like that again creatively and culturally but you should always be looking to improve the product.

Believe it or not they made some huge leaps since then in a positive direction. You can add some elements of every generation but you can never completely repeat it.

Besides people will always see what you are doing now as a pale imitation and that will ? the effectiveness.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I certainly don't agree with repeating history & rehashing old stuff, but I really do feel the the PG era is missing something.
    These days so many moves are banned, & you only see blood if someone has a genuine hardway accident.

I think the sleaziness of the attitude era doesn't need to return, but the hardness does.

there were hardness in the ruthless aggression era

although i dont necessarily like the PG era, i dont think its the biggest problem. i think the talent pool is extremely weak compared to past eras. there's no stone cold, rock, foley, shawn michaels, jericho, kane, taker, dudely boys, hardy boyz, hhh, benoit, guererro, lita, trish stratus. multiple characters that stood out

those wrestlers kept me glued to the tv when i first started watching wwe back in late 99. and the storylines were great. i couldnt wait to see what was gonna happen next. it was even like this way for me during the RA era. but the wrestlers and storylines now arent that interesting compared to the past
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Broddie wrote: »

I already witnessed the Golden Era, New Generation and Attitude Eras when they were actually fresh and relevant. What worked back then won't necessarily work today because pop culture is completely different and the best wrestling is the one that adapts to how society presently is. Attitude Era for example worked during an age of political incorrectness being the norm and crash TV being the latest fad, you can't really bring that back in an era where none of that is even relevant anymore.

I stopped watching after the alliance fiasco for about 10 years so I never saw even one minute of the Ruthless Agression era but don't regress back to that either. If I do want to see that I could always look back at archives. They're trying to shepherd in a new era and should continue with that.

You missed out huge. Smackdown especially was must see t.v.
  • Killface_toast
    Killface_toast Members Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    The smackdown 6 was incredible.
    paul heyman was at his creative peak.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    The smackdown 6 was incredible.
    paul heyman was at his creative peak.
    Yessir!! Smackdown was awesome, RAW was mediocre. Things been ugly ever since they decided to reinforce this "B-show" mentality
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

The one thing from that time I really have been interested in checking out is Shawn Michaels' comeback because

1) I was a huge fan of the guy during his original run from The Rockers to the Heart Break Kid. It was one of the best character developments I've ever seen in that industry and I literally grew up right along with him as he changed into the "showstopper" from 1997.

2) I was always disappointed in WM 14 being where he called it a wrap as a wrestler because it wasn't even one of his best matches from an in ring point of view. Even though the storytelling was nuts especially with the Tyson swerve he deserved better IMO.

3) Most of today's WWE fans know him from his comeback run and they swear by it and with me only being familiar with his fantastic initial run I could only imagine the quality of the matches during his second wind considering how much the younger cats today blab about it and how he's able to do even more in the ring in the 21st century than he did back in the day. Mostly since the structure of matches in the WWF changed from his prime days and became even more "technical" from an overall standpoint by that time.

One of the only reasons I was kinda apprehensive about it was cause of friend of mine who grew up on WWF with HBK as his GOAT back in the day was really disappointed in the comeback run. He just didn't like the christian Shawn Michaels said that he felt very disingenuous and it was a very bland character compared to the icon that we both grew up watching. It's one of the reasons he stopped watching wrestling. He felt that one of his heroes basically "sold out".

But I'm gonna have to sit down one day and look up clips and bite the bullet because again I keep hearing about all these 5 star classics all over the internet that he supposedly put on between 2003 - 2009 and as an HBK fan it's a part of his legacy that I eventually do have to witness for myself. It wouldn't feel right not to do so in the end.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    under the circumstances i had to give shawn props on wm 14, it was decent regardless, but shiit after that irish whip it looked like it hurt shawn to even move
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    They couldnt go back if they wanted to.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    No

The one thing from that time I really have been interested in checking out is Shawn Michaels' comeback because

1) I was a huge fan of the guy during his original run from The Rockers to the Heart Break Kid. It was one of the best character developments I've ever seen in that industry and I literally grew up right along with him as he changed into the "showstopper" from 1997.

2) I was always disappointed in WM 14 being where he called it a wrap as a wrestler because it wasn't even one of his best matches from an in ring point of view. Even though the storytelling was nuts especially with the Tyson swerve he deserved better IMO.

3) Most of today's WWE fans know him from his comeback run and they swear by it and with me only being familiar with his fantastic initial run I could only imagine the quality of the matches during his second wind considering how much the younger cats today blab about it and how he's able to do even more in the ring in the 21st century than he did back in the day. Mostly since the structure of matches in the WWF changed from his prime days and became even more "technical" from an overall standpoint by that time.

One of the only reasons I was kinda apprehensive about it was cause of friend of mine who grew up on WWF with HBK as his GOAT back in the day was really disappointed in the comeback run. He just didn't like the christian Shawn Michaels said that he felt very disingenuous and it was a very bland character compared to the icon that we both grew up watching. It's one of the reasons he stopped watching wrestling. He felt that one of his heroes basically "sold out".

But I'm gonna have to sit down one day and look up clips and bite the bullet because again I keep hearing about all these 5 star classics all over the internet that he supposedly put on between 2003 - 2009 and as an HBK fan it's a part of his legacy that I eventually do have to witness for myself. It wouldn't feel right not to do so in the end.
    Shawn from 94-98 will always be the GOAT. He could still do it in the ring when he came back, but didnt have the personality or assholeness that made him so good.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Hbk lost his "edge" after 2002. It left him after he superkicked Booker T in the face outside the nWo. However he still put on great matches even after they started making him couldnr do a kip up without hurting his lower back old man HBK in 06.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    i was always a "? HBK he aint ? ? ? " dude but son was nice def top 5.

guessing it all had to do with me being a Hitman fan
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    It'll never be what it once was
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I said no because kids nowadays too soft for that kind of ?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    No
    @Broddie
    I recommend the following HBK matches

2002 vs HHH Summerslam

2003 vs Chris Jericho WM 19
    2003 vs Goldberg MNR
    2003 vs Team Bischoff Survivor Series (great performance)
    2003 vs Batista Armageddon
    2003 vs HHH MNR

2004 vs HHH vs Chris Benoit WM 20
    2004 vs Chris Benoit MNR
    2004 vs Christian MNR

2005 vs Edge Royal Rumble
    2005 vs Kurt Angle WM 21
    2005 vs Kurt Angle Vengence
    2005 vs Shelton Benjamin (Famous super kick)
    2005 vs Hulk Hogan Summerslam
    2005 vs Rey Mysterio MNR (Eddie Guerrero tribute show)

2007 vs John Cena WM 23
    2007 vs John Cena MNR
    2007 vs John Cena vs Edge vs Randy Orton Backlash
    2007 vs Randy Orton Survivor Series

2008 vs Ric Flair WM 24
    2008 vs Batista Backlash
    2008 vs Chris Jericho Vengence
    2008 vs Chris Jericho No Mercy

2009 vs JBL No Way Out
    2009 vs Undertaker WM 25

• silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

there were hardness in the ruthless aggression era

although i dont necessarily like the PG era, i dont think its the biggest problem. i think the talent pool is extremely weak compared to past eras. there's no stone cold, rock, foley, shawn michaels, jericho, kane, taker, dudely boys, hardy boyz, hhh, benoit, guererro, lita, trish stratus. multiple characters that stood out

those wrestlers kept me glued to the tv when i first started watching wwe back in late 99. and the storylines were great. i couldnt wait to see what was gonna happen next. it was even like this way for me during the RA era. but the wrestlers and storylines now arent that interesting compared to the past

Majority of the people you have mentioned was a product of being in TV 14. Just think bout. The freedom and range to explore with characters edge, appeal, realistic demeanor, or creativity is waaaaaaaaaay allowed more for creative writers to create in TV 14.

I see it more as wiggle room to actually try new characters, matches, stipulations, stories, etc. To draw in new fans or create memories and entertainment.

Just imagine how easy it would be for Dolph Ziggler to get over as a babyface if today was TV 14. He would be sooo damn cool to teens and females with be wet because he would say things or do things like a hybrid of Shawn Michaels,Jericho, and VAL Venus (no ? at that ? ).

The point is that we don't need a attitude era, but with the help of making it rated PG 13, that will allow the creative team to usher in a new era of stars and stories without worrying about offending every damn thing or being cleany good shoes. I mean look at Cena. The clean image of PG is not realteable and entertaining.

With so many trends going on today with internet and the counter-culture Hipster crowd, the WWE would be very successful if they had their ? together right now and keep up with what's hot. They should really go viral more and bring back TV 14.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jamaica wrote: »
    @Broddie

2002 vs HHH Summerslam

2003 vs Goldberg MNR
    2003 vs HHH MNR

2004 vs Chris Benoit MNR
    2004 vs Christian MNR

2005 vs Kurt Angle WM 21

2007 vs John Cena WM 23
    2007 vs John Cena MNR

2008 vs Ric Flair WM 24
    2008 vs Batista Backlash

2009 vs JBL No Way Out
    2009 vs Undertaker WM 25

How the helm did u remember all that? Lol
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    ^ thats how goat hbk is
  • 5th Letter
    No
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    @Broddie

2002 vs HHH Summerslam

2003 vs Goldberg MNR
    2003 vs HHH MNR

2004 vs Chris Benoit MNR
    2004 vs Christian MNR

2005 vs Kurt Angle WM 21

2007 vs John Cena WM 23
    2007 vs John Cena MNR

2008 vs Ric Flair WM 24
    2008 vs Batista Backlash

2009 vs JBL No Way Out
    2009 vs Undertaker WM 25

How the helm did u remember all that? Lol

I used to be a huge wrestling mark.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

i think you meant judgment day, the great american bash, or unforgiven
    there wasnt a vengeance ppv in 2008
  • 5th Letter
    No
    It might have been the Great American Bash.
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    They dont have the tools needed. As much money as he makes them. Cena is a Cena, he is not a Rock or a Stone Cold.