Bret Hart Screw Job

VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in Off The Turn Buckle
I was 8 or 9 when this happened. Later I thought it was just a story line, I just now realized that it wasn't. I never understood the whole thing until a few days ago watching the you tube videos. That was the up most throw dirt in your face ever.

Did HHH and HBK know that this was gonna happen? HHH being scorned by Hart's wife in the locker room after the match, he says he didn't know about it. HBK tells Hart himself he didn't know that his hands were clean.

Anyone have more info?

Comments

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited July 2010
    Triple h came up with the idea or so i heard so im guessing both he and hbk knew.
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Yea. Bret didn't want to lose to Shawn at Suvivor Series '97. He wanted to beat Shawn and just hand him the title on the following Monday Night Raw. Bret contract was up and Vince was afraid Eric Bischoff would convice Bret to bring the WWF title to Monday Night Nitro and possibly do some foul ? with it (Like Alundra Blaze. She threw the Women's Title in the garbage on a Live Nitro).

So Vince calls up Shawn and HHH tells them they have to get the title of Bret somehow. HHH came up with the idea of ? him. Vince agreed. He told Gerald Brisco, Shane McMahon, and Earl Hebnor. The rest is....

• bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    somebody explain this for me
  • VIBE
    edited July 2010
    somebody explain this for me

Pretty much Bret's contract with the WWF was up. He was the current champ. Had a pay per view coming up in Bret's home town. He wanted to win it, like it was suppose to happen or so he thought and he would leave the WWF as champ. Eric was in talks with him to go to WCW. Vince finds out and doesn't want him doing what the woman's champ did at the time which was leave WWF and go to WCW and trash the WWF Women's Belt (literally)

So Bret goes in thinking he's gonna win. Michaels gets him in a submission in which Bret DOESN'T TAP but the ref calls it anyway. Shawn tries to get out in a hurry, Bret holds him for a minute trying to soak it all in. Shawn and HHH book it to the locker room and Bret is left standing in shock and anger. He spits on Vince BTW, right in his face. Then the Hart fam is trying to figure it out too. They all go to the back where the cameras catch HHH and Bret's wife yelling at HHH. HHH saying he didn't know. Shawn is in the room, Bret asks if he knew, Shawn said no that his hands were clean. That = the screw job.

I always thought it was a 'story line'.

I just wanna know who knew and who possibly set it up. If Shawn knew I lost respect, that's jacked. HHH, I can see it coming from him. Bret was seriously broken after that match.

Vince is a ? ....
  • gucci7383
    gucci7383 Members Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    Pretty much Bret's contract with the WWF was up. He was the current champ. Had a pay per view coming up in Bret's home town. He wanted to win it, like it was suppose to happen or so he thought and he would leave the WWF as champ. Eric was in talks with him to go to WCW. Vince finds out and doesn't want him doing what the woman's champ did at the time which was leave WWF and go to WCW and trash the WWF Women's Belt (literally)

So Bret goes in thinking he's gonna win. Michaels gets him in a submission in which Bret DOESN'T TAP but the ref calls it anyway. Shawn tries to get out in a hurry, Bret holds him for a minute trying to soak it all in. Shawn and HHH book it to the locker room and Bret is left standing in shock and anger. He spits on Vince BTW, right in his face. Then the Hart fam is trying to figure it out too. They all go to the back where the cameras catch HHH and Bret's wife yelling at HHH. HHH saying he didn't know. Shawn is in the room, Bret asks if he knew, Shawn said no that his hands were clean. That = the screw job.

I always thought it was a 'story line'.

I just wanna know who knew and who possibly set it up. If Shawn knew I lost respect, that's jacked. HHH, I can see it coming from him. Bret was seriously broken after that match.

Vince is a ? ....
    i dont fault vince at all, hes the owner of the company and there is no reason he should have taken a chance on brett leaving with his title.. so what who cares if brett was screwed i dont
  • deeroc22
    deeroc22 Members Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    They all knew accept Bret
  • VIBE
    edited July 2010
    gucci7383 wrote: »
    i dont fault vince at all, hes the owner of the company and there is no reason he should have taken a chance on brett leaving with his title.. so what who cares if brett was screwed i dont

What reason though? Bret directly said he would win that night and the following Monday he would hand the title over to Shawn in a sign of "respect". Bret would've went out of the WWF in a better light. Retiring there as the Champ pretty much. It could've been done that way. But it's whatever, it's jacked because these guys live a legacy they work for. Wrestling story lines are fake, the wrestling itself not so much.
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Bret screwed Bret
  • VIBE
    edited July 2010
    Bret didn't screw Bret lol

Would you want to work for Vince? Hulk regrets it.

Vince is all about that money and he don't care. That's why HHH was smart and married Steph, nothing can ever happen to HHH unless they divorce. I bet you then Vince would be a ? to HHH.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    gucci7383 wrote: »

...vince is a billionaire. he cud've bought several hundred titles. vince is a ? sob. i cud never figure out how mofos cud say gud things about his azzz, know that @ any given moment, he'll throw their azzz under the bus. i don't blame rock or stone cold for bouncing

movie money>>>>>>>>>wwe money
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    [QUOTE=VIBE86;952220]What reason though? Bret directly said he would win that night and the following Monday he would hand the title over to Shawn in a sign of "respect". Bret would've went out of the WWF in a better light. Retiring there as the Champ pretty much. It could've been done that way. But it's whatever, it's jacked because these guys live a legacy they work for. Wrestling story lines are fake, the wrestling itself not so much.[/QUOTE]
    Vince felt that Bret would still be shittin on the WWF organization if he left while he was the champ, whether he handed the belt over or not, its just not a good look for a wrestler to win the most coveted title in the organization then say ? this and bounce. It was basically a lose-lose situation for Bret.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Here's wikipedias verision of how it came to be:

The day before the Survivor Series (which was to be held on Sunday), McMahon met with Jim Ross, Jim Cornette, Triple H and Michaels in a hotel room in Montreal and planned the screwjob.[5] It is unclear how many people knew of the impending screwjob, but McMahon's close aides Gerald Brisco and Robert "Sgt. Slaughter" Remus had been involved in the planning. Hart and Michaels had met with Patterson to discuss the match setup and plan, during which Hart agreed to allow Michaels to put him into the sharpshooter hold at a time when the referee would be unconscious, as Patterson suggested.[18] The rest of the match was planned to proceed thus: Hart would grab Michaels' foot and reverse the hold, putting him in the sharpshooter. Michaels would submit to the hold, but the referee would still be unconscious. Hart would let go of the hold to try to revive the referee, but Michaels would hit Hart with his finisher, the Sweet Chin Music, and make the pin. A second referee would then run to the ring with Owen Hart, Jim Neidhart, and Davey Boy Smith following close behind. The second referee would start the count, but Owen and Davey Boy would break the pin. The original referee would then recover and start to make the count, but Hart would kick out, setting up about five more minutes of brawling that would result in a disqualification.

In his 1998 documentary Hitman Hart: Wrestling with Shadows, Hart said that his fears were largely assuaged because he was close friends with referee Earl Hebner and trusted him implicitly. Asked by Hart, Hebner swore by his children that he would never double-cross Hart and that he would rather quit his job than participate in a screwjob.[5][19]. However according to Michaels' account of the events in his 2005 autobiography, Heartbreak and Triumph: The Shawn Michaels Story, Hebner had been informed (by Michaels) of the plan only on Sunday evening, just as Survivor Series was about to commence.[18] On an episode of WWE Confidential in 2003, Earl Hebner claimed he knew McMahon's plan only 10 minutes before the match finished, and out of panic following the bell ringing, he ran out of the ring, through the crowd and remained in his hotel room for the night not speaking to anybody.
  • Wishbone Jones
    Wishbone Jones Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010