Ether for fat kids. Woman to give 'obese' children letters, no candy

Will Munny
Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/30/obese-halloween-letter/3312537/

Can't get the vid to embed but the link has the vid.
A Fargo, N.D., woman says she will give trick-or-treaters that she deems "moderately obese" a letter instead of candy this Halloween.

"I just want to send a message to the parents of kids that are really overweight. ... I think it's just really irresponsible of parents to send them out looking for free candy just 'cause all the other kids are doing it," the woman said in a morning radio interview with Y94. She wouldn't identify herself.

The letter states: "You child is, in my opinion, moderately obese and should not be consuming sugar and treats to the extent of some children this Halloween season."

Twitter: Follow reporter Natalie DiBlasio

It continues: "My hope is that you will step up as a parent and ration candy this Halloween and not allow your child to continue these unhealthy eating habits."

North Dakota State University assistant professor of clinical psychology Katie Gordon told Valley News Live in Fargo that the letter could be more emotionally damaging than helpful.

"It's just that kind of thing that for some kids, if they're vulnerable, might trigger major problems," Gordon said. "Even if a child is overweight, they might be very healthy because of what they eat and how they exercise. It's ineffective anyway because it's not likely to help the kid."

Comments

• 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You gotta' take that code outta' there Munny
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol...that ? is about to get assaulted this Halloween.

I'll wait for the follow-up story.
  • Kat
    Wack.

? her letter. Why not just give them a small party favor or something?

They're kids out for a night of fun. Why punish them for their parents choices?
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kat wrote: »
    Wack.

you would be a Bad Teacher....wearing min skirts and passing out candy...@Kat "Cameron" Diaz...lol
  • Kat
    twatgetta wrote: »
    Wack.

you would be a Bad Teacher....wearing min skirts and passing out candy...@Kat "Cameron" Diaz...lol

lol..wth does this have to do with anything??

But I'd never be a teacher period..? these little crumbsnatchers.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wack.

Don't you got a kid?
  • Kat
    Yes but that's my kid. I can handle up on that if need be.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    tumblr_static_terio.gif

FUNNIEST GIF OUT AT THE MOMENT
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wack.

Why not? The parents are already punishing the child with fatness.
  • Kat
    Wack.

Why not? The parents are already punishing the child with fatness.

Don't be an idiot.
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? the letter, she should just tell em they don't need any candy, because more than likely they just gonna throw the letter away without reading it
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If she's so concerned with the health of the kids, she shouldn't give any of them candy.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wack.

You would ? a student and get busted, I bet...lol
  • Kat
    stop @-ing me for dumb ? !
  • Jungz
    Jungz Members Posts: 991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why dont she give out baby carrots and celery sticks at her house then if she's so worried about the health of the kids...
  • Kat
    Bottomline the ? is dumb and hateful...these aren't adults who are choosing their own menus, they're children and it's Halloween. A night of fun and friends for the kids..who does ? like that?

• konceptjones
  • konceptjones
    Bottomline the ? is dumb and hateful...these aren't adults who are choosing their own menus, they're children and it's Halloween. A night of fun and friends for the kids..who does ? like that?

sometimes the best way to get a message to an adult is to go through their kids.
  • Kat

sometimes the best way to get a message to an adult is to go through their kids.

Are you serious right now?

You got a problem with how an adult is raising their child, the worse thing you can do is go through their child.

But keep coming off like an ? so you can make your anti-obesity point. I know how much it means to you.
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @skpjr78 you're an obese ? who lives vicariously through his fit and marathon runner wife. How dare you throw stones at someone else for their weight when it looks like you have asthma attacks while walking one full block.

? fat ? and drink a replacement shake for a meal. You fat tub of ?
  • konceptjones
    edited October 2013

Are you serious right now?

You got a problem with how an adult is raising their child, the worse thing you can do is go through their child.

But keep coming off like an ? so you can make your anti-obesity point. I know how much it means to you.

all the PSA's, news reports on childhood obesity, skyrocketing type-2 diabetes and high blood pressure in children apparently ain't working.

These "parents" are worthless sacks of ? that, apparently, don't give two ? about their child's well being. Since we haven't reached a point where fat kids are seen as being "abused" by their parents and taken away by CPS, another approach has to be taken for the sake of the child. If this is what it means, so be it, but something has to be done about this epidemic.