DJ Quik Speaks On Retirement & Younger Artists, Says He Won't Work With Them For Free

Options
MrCrookedLetter
MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in The Reason
West1.jpg

West Coast music icon DJ Quik has come clean on remarks he made this week about his status in the entertainment industry and why record labels have him going to the edge.

While he would not signal out retirement for good, Quik dished out his issues with the music biz.

"I wouldn't call it retirement," Quik said. He explained that while he still has plans to get rid of his production equipment, he did not rule out producing for "real projects" for established artists.

Quik's statement was fueled by his discontent with today's music industry model, which hasn't paid as well--monetarily or respect-wise--as it once did. "There is a bunch of things that I don't understand about how this new business works," Quik said.

"Traditionally, I get paid for engineering and mixing people's records, and there used to be a king's ransom in that back in the day. Now, there is so little that it's not important. There's not enough money to warrant sitting in the studio with people and learning your trade secrets for two or three grand, it's not worth it. So I took that off my resume. It's off my resume so no more engineering for these new artists." (XXL Mag)

The respected producer also spoke on the younger generations of artists irking him.
"When it comes to trying to teach the new wave of people or help these guys and ? like we used to do, there's no real record companies paying for this sh*t," Quik said, explaining his reasons for not wanting to help younger artists.

"These are trade secrets that I'm gonna ultimately take to my grave with me. I'm just not gonna teach people how to sell 100 million records. They are f*cking out of their minds." While Quik seems to have little interest in helping young artists out these days, he stated that he is not actually bitter with his position as an older rap veteran in the industry.

"It's not about being bitter," Quik said. "It's annoying. I'm not going to do things for free for you guys when I've charged five or six figures to do this for relevant, real chart-topping artists. I can't just go and give it away for free because I love it. That's prostitution." (XXL Mag)

http://www.sohh.com/2013/10/dj_quik_addresses_the_retirement_talk_is.html?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=featured-box

Comments

• Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm still bumping that King of David from time to time. When and if he'll drop an album I'm coppin'.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I definitely understand. Overworked and underpaid, just like everyone else in this country.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd cop his equipment... for the low...
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Laptops
    GarageBand
    FL studio
    Sound click
    etc

Making these old heads sick
  • Big James
    Big James Members Posts: 345 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He is obsolete. Find another hustle because the one you had doesn't pay what it used to.
  • Big James
    Options
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big James wrote: »
    He is obsolete. Find another hustle because the one you had doesn't pay what it used to.

He has mad paper dude. He even worked with Janet Jackson. You don't give out game for free. The game is supposed to be sold not told.
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    "It's not about being bitter," Quik said. "It's annoying. I'm not going to do things for free for you guys when I've charged five or six figures to do this for relevant, real chart-topping artists. I can't just go and give it away for free because I love it. That's prostitution."

uhhhhhhh????? actually charging someone for your services is prostitution but i get what your trying to say ? .... just keep in mind that those who you are blocking are most likely poor and looking to build an income and a career ... while your ouchea chasing checks and giving secrets to those who are already WELL OFF !!

i mean what are we ouchea for TO KEEP OUR PEOPLE DOWN !!!!! ?? !!!!!

or

BUILD THEM UP !!!!!!

but in Quiks defense i know he more trying to state that new artist take what he brings to the table for granted ... they dont appreciate it and usually dont reciprocate the love when he helped them get to the next level .... so why keep helping if all its doing is stressing you out and in the sense tearing yourself down to help others who act like they dont even need it ........

• BenjaminE
    Options
    Truth hurts
    I see what you did there...
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yeah no ? , he way to big to be engineering sessions in my eyes... I dont know why he was doing that for so long, ? was hustling sorta backwards it seems
  • RawAce
    Options
    Hell yeah no ? , he way to big to be engineering sessions in my eyes... I dont know why he was doing that for so long, ? was hustling sorta backwards it seems

They do it for supplemental income and/or for the love of music

And some of them do it jus to see what the younger artists are up to

People think its a blessing to be around vets but really these vets be around these young artists snd producers to steal and take credit

I'm not sayin this is the case wit quik. I'm jus stating what I have seen
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He won't work for free. Ok, water is wet, sky is blue, fishes swim.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    antarticp wrote: »
    "It's not about being bitter," Quik said. "It's annoying. I'm not going to do things for free for you guys when I've charged five or six figures to do this for relevant, real chart-topping artists. I can't just go and give it away for free because I love it. That's prostitution."

uhhhhhhh????? actually charging someone for your services is prostitution but i get what your trying to say ? .... just keep in mind that those who you are blocking are most likely poor and looking to build an income and a career ... while your ouchea chasing checks and giving secrets to those who are already WELL OFF !!

i mean what are we ouchea for TO KEEP OUR PEOPLE DOWN !!!!! ?? !!!!!

or

BUILD THEM UP !!!!!!

but in Quiks defense i know he more trying to state that new artist take what he brings to the table for granted ... they dont appreciate it and usually dont reciprocate the love when he helped them get to the next level .... so why keep helping if all its doing is stressing you out and in the sense tearing yourself down to help others who act like they dont even need it ........
    man shut the ? up.

• Big James
    Options

He has mad paper dude. He even worked with Janet Jackson. You don't give out game for free. The game is supposed to be sold not told.

And now it can't be sold so because there is a cheaper way to duplicate what he does so..............
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Still ? with "Lets Get Down".
  • alibaba
    alibaba Members Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When it comes down to mixing records Quick is hands down the greatest to ever do it. How you think them Death Row cuts sounded so good
  • Da Homey Six Deuce
    Da Homey Six Deuce Members Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

h4F5739C6

• aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On a sidenote, Quik was on Arsenio the other night spinning.
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicks Groove 1 or ? in the bloomin onion
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In my opinion since Quick is rich and an ole head that ? SHOULD give back to young artist.? you got paper from the knowledge from other people too and he didn´t even invent rap.
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I told ? these producers be getting 2 and 3k a track. You can make that ? a month on sound click lol. You can thank fl studio and these vst's for that. ? got these ? out here sounding better than their real talent.
  • RawAce
    Options
    I don't think there are many beat makers on SC that make 3k a month

But it mdiesnt matter if those guys make money or not because the damage is still being done when you throw lower prices in the equation that makes the value drop overall

Same thing wit studios now being cheaper .
    Back in the day they would charge an arm and a leg because they knew most folks needed that access. Now studios charge reasonable prices because one trip to guitar center can lose them a customer .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad he is out of the game, he is mediocre and only had one good song.
  • BenjaminE
    Options
    Glad he is out of the game, he is mediocre and only had one good song.
    hahaha... out of curiosity, which song would that be?