Could you have done this?

MzKB
MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in For The Grown & Sexy
This took place June 1996 in Ann Harbor, Michigan

Images of a black teenager leaping into harm’s way to protect an alleged Ku Klux ? member from an angry mob have lost none of their impact 17 years later.

Keshia Thomas spoke with the BBC about the day when 17 KKK members held a rally.

Hundreds of locals had arrived to protest their presence, while police with riot gear and tear gas protected the Klansmen. An 18-year-old Thomas stood with the National Women’s Rights Organizations Coalition protestors behind a purpose-built fence, when someone in the crowd noticed a white man with a Confederate flag T-shirt and an SS tattoo among them.

A woman with a megaphone shouted her accusation, “There’s a Klansman in the crowd.”

keshia-thomas.jpg

As the man tried to get away, Thomas was among the crowd that gave chase.

keshia-thomas.jpg

He started to run when cries of “? the ? ” rang out, but soon fell to the ground. Protestors began to kick and strike the man with placards.

3a2c869b-9afa-4cd3-b761-7678ecaad813-jpg.jpg

As the blows continued to rain down, a horrified Thomas threw herself on top of the man to shield him.

“When people are in a crowd they are more likely to do things they would never do as an individual. Someone had to step out of the pack and say, ‘This isn’t right,’ “ she said.

“She put herself at physical risk to protect someone who, in my opinion, would not have done the same for her,” he said. “Who does that in this world?”

Thomas, who had previously experienced violence, says that the man did not deserve to be attacked.
“Nobody deserves to be hurt, especially not for an idea.”

keshia31n-2-web.jpg

She has never met the man she protected again, but months later a young man approached her in coffee shop and thanked her. When she asked what he was thanking her for, his reply was simple.

“That was my dad.”

Kanye-Puppet-Show.jpg

kanyeflagthumb-250x179.jpg

Could you have done this? 52 votes

couldn't be me, she str-8 coonin
71%
OhMarsdwade206miamivice305leftcoastkevzombiebigduece69nex ginJusDre313700unspoken_respectBodhiNothingButTheTruthVulcanRaven7figzTheBoyRoDarcSkiesAristo_V300Valentinez A. KaiserSixSickSinsStillFaggyAF 37 votes
I could see myself helping out, that was a noble act
17%
Rozetta5toneKaiBussy_Getta Mister B.soulbrotherTheNeoShellYoung Stefvince_vinceSiccoLoccJay 9 votes
Kanye Kardashian owns this thread
11%
Built 4 cuban linxSour-CreamCashmoneyDuxxxCivicxxniggasthesedaysBazz-B 6 votes

Comments