What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

The Reason Interviews: CtK - Haunting In Connecticut/Still Standing

SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH EditorPosts: 45,664 Regulator
edited October 2013 in The Reason
The Reason Interviews brings you a vet on here, for Halloween we got @FlyFreeCT (also known as CtK), to shed light on The Haunting In Connecticut as well as new music he's recently been putting out. We interviewed him back in 2010-2011 and the responses were lovely. Take some time out your day to check out what he got to say and his music.

IC Moderator and AHH Editor

http://community.allhiphop.com/categories/site-help

^^^ If you need anything go here

jono wrote: »
This is the folly of the internet. Its become a bastion of misinformation, rumors, conspiracies and propaganda. A place where a person with no face or name can make accusations at any time with no verification or credentials and brainwash a small segment of people.
T. Sanford wrote: »
Message to the trills of the IC: May Legion Of Trill be your enemies downfall

Replies

• SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 45,664 Regulator
    edited October 2013
    a0399638804_2.jpg

Welcome back CtK, we celebrating your music and also looking back on some of your past work. How have things been going for you ?

Everything is everything man, still progressing and trying to make a difference every day. It’s been a long road but the focus hasn’t changed. Entering what I feel like is my prime, so I’m going with the now or never approach.

The anniversary of The Haunting In Connecticut, looking back then and now how do you feel about that project ? Do you ever feel critical of yourself back then looking back ?

Never feel critical about any of my work. It stamps a time period in my life and it’s fun to listen back and hear some of the things I spoke about. Just little shit like on “Id Do Anything’ where the 1st verse was dedicated to my then girlfriend. We split up a year and a month after the T.H.I.C project, after a 7 ½ year relationship. So it’s just interesting to look back on things like that and other shit like how your voice sounded, your flow, your approach and all the other aspects. What I found most interesting about myself back then was how aggressive I was (laughs)..Don’t get me wrong, I’m still the same aggressive killa, but it’s a more controlled & calculating type of aggression.

For those who aren't familiar - do you have a link to music from The Haunting In Connecticut ? And could you introduce that project and explain what it was and why it's significant ?? Just an introduction for those who don't know...

The Haunting In Connecticut was basically a follow up of my 1st project “203”. On “203” I continuously stressed my love for my state, which I still do, but with that project that was it’s purpose. With T.H.I.C I was like “ok the love for my home is already established, let’s let these niggas know who the man is that’s haunting CT” aka who’s the best from CT. So of course the movie “The Haunting In Connecticut “ was tied into the project. The film was based on true events, so I said “shit, me being the best to ever come out of this state is true as well, so let’s do it”. The idea to use the film was one of my homeboys little brothers, so I took it & ran with it. The fact that I was so adamant about being the absolute best is probably the reason for my aggressive tone throughout the project. Still feel the same, nothing’s changed in that regard

Ok now that that's been done, I noticed you often drop your mixtapes/albums in October... is there a particular reason for that ?

Just a coincidence. My latest project was supposed to drop months ago, but things started getting thrown off so I had to push it back. When I finally decided to release those tracks it was late September, so I said I might as well to just drop it on October 14th which Is the 3 year anniversary of T.H.I.C. But just so shit don’t get twisted, I record year round, every year. Don’t want people thinking my work ethic is low. This just happens to be my 1st project release in a while.

Moving on now... let's talk about the new project "Still Standing" the intro track is fire flames, what inspired this whole project and how is it different or where does it stand in your catalog as a representation of your progression as an artist ?

a3722600778_2.jpg

In everybody's life there will be a lot of changes in a 3 year span, both good and bad. So “Still Standing” to me is exactly what the title says. There was shit that went down that would’ve broken someone who wasn’t as strong, but as we all know tough times don’t last, tough people do, and I’m here. Listening to this project after listening to T.H.I.C you can clearly hear the maturity level has risen significantly, and I hate to say that cuz it’s the most cliché response ever, by rappers But, for evidence listen to track 1 on “Still Standing” and track 1 on T.H.I.C. You hear it straight away. This is where my mind frame was, going into this project

What influences went into developing this project ? What was the creative process like ?

The past bullshit, the present mentality, and the vision to the future. All were focal points without going way too in depth, I’ll wait ti’ll I’m finally famous when people actually give a fuck about the details of my life.(laughs). Cuz I know I damn sure don’t wanna hear some nigga I don’t know rambling about his life on wax. So I touched on subjects in a calculated way, shared my thoughts on other situations and still managed to have fun and entertain on other tracks. It was meant to be a short/reintroduction to the mixtape scene, and let niggas know that through all the bullshit I’m “Still Standing”.

Will there be a video for any of the records on there ?

Yea, “Hate Letter” has a video. It was shot earlier this year by my nigga Antoine Mercury out here in GA. Concept was straight to the point & aggressive so I needed to get that visual out there to the people to feel it. The raw emotion of the track and the message was something I had to get a video done for.

Do you have any favorite tracks ? Aye personally I liked 40/40 Vision the most, are there any tracks you like more than others ?

As the creator, I like’em all (laughs). But my favorite track on the project is D.o.D.s. Rappers saying they’re “crack” or “coke” or whatever, has been going on for a while. But on that track I took it the extra mile and used what I thought was crazy wordplay, especially the 2nd verse. Couple Quotes “The way I’m spittin this heroin is embarrassin’/Competition (rappers) but fixing these fiends (fans) is what I’m married in”. “I’m Frank Lucas with the blue magic/Few bag it (package bars) like CT this is just a new package(new song)/Get’em set-couple percocet’s/Oxycotton yea I gott’em are you twisted off the verses yet??/If not-take a look into this ziplock/This rock? Have’em like Pookie-Yes Chris Rock”. That verse ends with “Got the shit locked-make’em want more shit/true embalming fluid on some going to the morgue shit/They explore shit (all my music) just to get a single buzz/and the worst part I ain’t never sold a single drug”. Had that line to end it for anybody out there that was slow and missed the entire concept of the song (laughs).

This is the folly of the internet. Its become a bastion of misinformation, rumors, conspiracies and propaganda. A place where a person with no face or name can make accusations at any time with no verification or credentials and brainwash a small segment of people.
  • SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 45,664 Regulator
    edited October 2013
    a3269033221_2.jpg

Most of the music on there is original music, it feels more like an album than a mixtape, or maybe that's just me.... what went into the production process and what was the sound you were aiming for ?

Honestly, the production is very scattered. I think it’s half & half, 5 songs are original and the other 5 are tracks pulled from different places. I was going for an even tempo vibe as far as production goes, even though tracks like “O’So” and “Check kinda raise it up a little. I just wanted tracks where the listener was more focused on the bars as opposed to the beats, but still had to get production that wasn’t dry. I think I accomplished that.

Let me ask you some more questions.... Hate Letter was very very interesting, I think you made some very good points especially in the first verse when you mention it being more about beats if you rappin bout Coke (or however it is you say it shit you say it better LOLOL).... I was just wondering, what inspired that record ? Can you go into detail about the construction of that record ??

This song was written in about 15-20 minutes because everything was so fresh in my mind. I had just had a conversation with my man Chase Cloud about how a lot of these niggas are in this for the wrong reasons, and how they’re not as talented as we are. That’s why I gave him a shoutout on the track cuz the song came from our convo. I bleed this shit and I’m easily offended when I feel like the music isn’t being taken serious. Was also referring to the niggas that do take it serious but they don’t have the talent to match their confidence. Nothing worse than an overconfident wack nigga. Everything I was feeling just bled outta me. The funny thing about “Hate Letter” is that is was released before “Control” and Kendrick gets crazy praise for saying basically the same thing, except I was more disrespectful (Laughs). Now granted, he named names but I would’ve too if I was actually out there like that. Wouldn’t have made much sense for me to do that, considering the fact that them niggas wouldn’t have heard it anyway. Nobody’s responding to an unsigned artist. It was to speak truth, it wasn’t for attention.

Loyalty Is Everything Still - break this record down and it's importance to you....

I live by it. Loyalty is the most important thing in the world to me. I’ve dealt with a lot of disloyal and non genuine people in the last few years. I just wanted to make a point that even though I had dealt with these things I still feel like loyalty is everything. Nothing that’s happened has shaken my stance on that, nor will it ever. Mixed a couple other messages throughout the track as well, but it all tied back into loyalty in some type of way.

Earlier in the year you did a very interesting spin on the whole craze over "Control" whne it dropped, what inspired you to drop vocals over Control ?

I never did. (laughs) Don’t wanna be just another nigga trying to get people to listen to a “response verse”. That whole thing got corny real fast. Whenever you have basketball players & shit responding to a hip hop artists it’s a fuckin clown show, and I ain’t no clown. It was just a strategic move by Kendrick Lamar to get all eyes on him and it worked. I personally didn’t think it was as serious as it was made out to be, but to each it’s own.

CtK let me ask you, now I'm replaying "Hate Letter" and it has me curious.... where do you see the state of Hip-Hop going ? Like with guys like Kendrick Lamar, SchoolBoy Q, Pusha T, Drake, Jay Electronica and more, seems like rap is sporting different colors now, where do you think it will be going from here ? Both stylistically and sonically ?

I honestly can’t say. It’s hard to tell at the moment what hip hop is transitioning to. I’m noticing lyricism starting to come back, but only in moderation. I think artists like Kendrick Lamar are overhyped only because he’s the best of all the people that are actually quote unquote “hot”. That’s why he was so comfortable with doing that control verse, cuz he knew none of these niggas can match him in a sparring session, and all the vets that could slaughter him tonight if they wanted to don’t really care enough to get in the mix. I say that to say, I think the game is very watered down from a lyrical standpoint besides him, it wasn’t really a diss on Kendrick. I actually think he’s a good artist and did a good thing by trying to get it back to a competitive level. Too much buddy buddy shit.

Alright with 2014 is just around the corner, what are your goals for 2014 and what can fans expect from you ?

I’m going into 2014 with the now or never approach. The ground work is laid. I’ve done the European shows, I’ve made some money and have experienced things that a lot of dudes my age or older haven’t experienced. I’ve had marginal success, but 2014 I want to fully cash in on this opportunity. Got a few new connects and I’m ready to make the push.

Do you have any plans for Halloween ? Any new music, etc. ?

“Still Standing” is only a couple weeks old, I want everybody to check that out and let me know what they think. Released a video for the single “Try” Ft. Robin S. and Chase X Cloud, which is a new sound I tried out that came out nicely, so I also want everybody to check that out. It kinda mixes my world which is of course Hip Hop with her world which is House, and Chase throws in his flare on the hook as well. Everybody check it out. O yea and make sure you go back and listen to The Haunting In Connecticut since it’s Halloween. As far as Halloween, I plan on going bag snatching as always.

Where can fans find your music or get updates on projects you have coming if they want more from you ?

I have a website coming very soon to consolidate all the material, but for now you can get my projects at www.ctk203.bandcamp.com and my youtube channel is CtK19. Everybody subscribe.

Do you have any regrets fam ? Like just in general. Looking back if you could give advice to your younger self what would you say now ?

Not a single regret, not one. But if I could give my younger self some advice I’d just tell him that your talent means NOTHING, you have to put in the work and promotion necessary to get to where you want to be. Talent is only half the battle, maybe even less these days. It took a long time for a young CtK to grasp that.

If you could give advice to other aspiring artists both online or offline what would you tell them ?

No matter how discouraging it is to be turned away continuously, quitting should never be an option. Never take no for an answer, and surround yourself with supportive and positive people.

Any last words for the IC ?

You’ll be seeing me in front of the world in due time.

• loch121loch121 Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I peeped his music on the Post your music thread.

Dude is nice to me
    Loch Afro American Psycho EP/mixtape http://www.datpiff.com/Loch-Afro-American-Psycho-mixtape.740928.html
    Loch's youtube channel youtube.com/lochofmceo
    Loch Afro American Horror Story Mixtape Hosted by @DJDooWop http://piff.me/d91349e via @DatPiff
    Follow @Loch121 http://Twitter.com/loch121
    Follow Loch on instagram. http://instagram.com/loch121
    Sion
  • daboyag1daboyag1 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭
    OH ish, CtK back?
  • daboyag1daboyag1 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭
    CtK is dope, he may have the best IC collab verse of all time with that song with him and Jeff Axel.
  • FlyFreeCtFlyFreeCt Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preciate it fellas.

"FLY FREE Still scream it ti'll my dying minute/authentic nature all these hatin' niggas try to mimic/They don't understand the realness ain't a game or gimmick/Speak without restraints & limits-Ti'll somebody aim & end it"-CtK
  • black caesarblack caesar Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when I gave you props for Hate Letter. Where are the links to your mixtapes at? Hopefully you can put them on datpiff and Livemixtapes.
    awq1l4.png

xp0aqu.png