The entire population of the U.S. could Die After An EMP Blast

Options
2»

Comments

• No_Way_Jose
    No_Way_Jose Members Posts: 71
    Options
    Lies are more effective.

If I told you AIDs is non-existent, protection is a racket, and homosexuality is a code term for sterilization, and I will stagnate the fertility rate of an isolated population in the span of four generations, would you believe me?

Sorry, off-track.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Humans lived without electricity for such a long time and we are pretty adapatable creatures, yes there will be problems for a while, but after people get on track and protect their communities and farming land, it would be alright.
    i think the concern is the "problems for a while" part
    That still irrelevant. Again, EMPs only destroy existing electronics. It does not stop anyone from replacing and fixing things.
    well, for one thing, i don't think the "little is hardened against such things" is irrelevant since, you know, this was an aspect of your post. and as for b, yeah, the scale IS going to be relevant when you're talking about "replacing and fixing things"

i'm not sitting here losing my mind over fictional EMP attacks, but it's not because dudes can fix broken stuff
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Ziryab wrote: »
    didnt humans create the first electronics with out electronics?
    ok

so what electronics are you gonna make without electricity bro.. serious question.

the reason experts are tripping about this potential powergrid failure is becuz everything is interconnected. aint no switch to just cut the whole grid back on fam, the ? is fried. you gotta replace ev-ver-ry-thing, startin from the most simplest ? you dont ever think of and take for granted

What? You're acting like replacement parts and systems don't exist. Even without EMPs, ? breaks. When ? fails, they don't have to go to the drawing board and recreate everything from scratch.

And what experts are you talking about? I work with people from the military, DHS, and other groups whose purview it would be to respond to something like that, and they aren't tripping over EMPs to the extent you're making it seem. I'm not saying an EMP wouldn't cause major problems if it hit a city like NYC or DC. Of course it would, but the idea that there is some imaginary weapon in existence that could wipe out the powergrid of the entire US and would suddenly plunge the country into the Dark Ages is ridiculous.

I'm also not sure why you're scoffing at the person who suggested we could get electronics from another country. Again, real life is not Revolution. An EMP doesn't magically make it so electronics could never function in the area again. Even if an EMP came through and destroyed all the electronics in the country, there is nothing stopping our allies from providing importing devices and replacement components to assist in recovery.
    janklow wrote: »
    well, for one thing, i don't think the "little is hardened against such things" is irrelevant since, you know, this was an aspect of your post. and as for b, yeah, the scale IS going to be relevant when you're talking about "replacing and fixing things"

i'm not sitting here losing my mind over fictional EMP attacks, but it's not because dudes can fix broken stuff

What you said is irrelevant because ultimately my point was that even if a fictional attack wiped out all existing technology, it is misconception that there would be no way to fix the damage done. And if the damage is not irreparable, there is no reason to believe the country would just fall apart as a result.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    electronics are replaceable people who are always afraid of the end of the world are slightly insane
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    What you said is irrelevant because ultimately my point was that even if a fictional attack wiped out all existing technology, it is misconception that there would be no way to fix the damage done. And if the damage is not irreparable, there is no reason to believe the country would just fall apart as a result.
    i think you think it's irrelevant because you're not concerned about the EMP attack concept; that's cool and all, i am not losing sleep over it. but people's concern is not "we could never recover from this" as much as it is "what would happen in the aftermath of it," which is where the scale/lack of hardening comes in. if we're talking about whether or not the EMP thing is a real concern on any level...

i would say what's MORE unlikely is that someone can launch an EMP attack of such scale as to make a real nightmare scenario happen.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    i think you think it's irrelevant because you're not concerned about the EMP attack concept; that's cool and all, i am not losing sleep over it. but people's concern is not "we could never recover from this" as much as it is "what would happen in the aftermath of it," which is where the scale/lack of hardening comes in. if we're talking about whether or not the EMP thing is a real concern on any level...

i would say what's MORE unlikely is that someone can launch an EMP attack of such scale as to make a real nightmare scenario happen.

Fair enough.