What's going on in Miami dolphins locker room?

Options

Comments

• A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? the Dolphins
    ? the Browns
    ? the Patriots
    ? the Jaguars
    ? the Dolphins
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    miamiherald.com/2014/02/17/3941216/jerrys-stock-suffers-after-report.html
    Jerry’s stock suffers after report

John Jerry now has two strikes:

He’s not particularly good at his job.

And he’s, at least for the foreseeable future, a toxic distraction.

Those two strikes might be enough to keep him out of the league in 2014. Some around the league believe that Jerry’s path back to the NFL will be the rockiest of the three Dolphins linemen implicated in the Ted Wells bullying report.

Teams are loathe to embrace players who attract too much attention, particularly if their ability doesn’t match their media wattage. Just ask Tim Tebow, who can’t find a job two years after leading the Broncos to the divisional round of the AFC playoffs.

Jerry doesn’t have nearly that kind of success on his résumé.

He was the league’s 67th-best run-blocking guard last year, according to Pro Football Focus, and the Dolphins managed just 2.8 yards per carry when running behind him. He surrendered five sacks and 16 hurries. And he’s battled weight issues his entire career.

So basically, the last thing Jerry needs as he enters free agency is yet another reason for teams to look elsewhere.

Wells provided that, and then some.

The NFL’s independent investigator found that Jerry, Mike Pouncey and Richie Incognito engaged “in a pattern of harassment” directed at not only Jonathan Martin, but other teammates and staff. Their verbal attacks contributed to Martin leaving the team, Wells found.

Efforts to reach Jerry’s camp for comment Sunday were unsuccessful.

While Jerry hasn’t drawn the degree of scrutiny that Incognito and Pouncey have since Wells released his findings, his behavior in some instances was the most egregious.

Among Jerry’s transgressions, according to Wells:

• He was the first to target Martin with name-calling at the beginning of the 2012 season, frequently calling him “b----.” When Martin didn’t push back on the language, it escalated.

• Telling Martin that he wanted to have sex with his mother and sister at the same time. Jerry was often the worst offender when it came to Martin’s sister, Wells said, “because once Jerry got started he often kept going incessantly.”

• Jerry would regularly demean Martin in front of teammates from other units, which Martin believed was intended to embarrass him.

• Taunting Martin for not being “black enough.”

• Touching former Dolphins lineman Andrew McDonald’s buttocks in a way that simulated ? ? . (Jerry denied that this happened.)

Jerry, a former third-round pick from Mississippi, told Wells that remarks about Martin’s sister were only made occasionally.

He added: “We all joke like that. Some days it would be me getting joked on, some days it would be someone else.”
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    John Jerry you ? ass ? .
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The worst rhing about this is the cultural acceptance of the behavior and attaching it to toughness.....and the black players being new negroes....

Incognito should have never been a team leader
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why not ?

The whole Dolphin roster was behind Incognito

He's not a cancer, the team wasn't divided
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even the guy whose on the other team said he had a good time with the dolphins... I think this is being over blown. I really do think Martin has some other issues.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Lol @ Martin texting his mom that he was sobbing in a bathroom on a yacht.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ Martin texting his mom that he was sobbing in a bathroom in a yacht.

seriously.gif

Really tho? Martin has to be a ? . smh
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ Martin texting his mom that he was sobbing in a bathroom in a yacht.
    Thats the baller life lesser men cry in cars on land
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Martin's been getting bullied since middle and high school. It killed his self-esteem and self-confidence. Dude's been fragile ever since.

According to Martin, in middle school and high school he was the victim of bullying, which diminished his self-confidence and self-esteem and contributed to what he self-diagnosed as periodic bouts of depression during his teenage years. Martin claims that the depression he experienced in high school recurred as a result of mistreatment by his teammates on the Dolphins and that on two occasions in 2013 he even contemplated suicide.

On April 22, 2013, Martin wrote to his mother: I figured out a major source of my anxiety. I’m a push over, a people pleaser. I avoid confrontation whenever I can, I always want everyone to like me. I let people talk about me, say anything to my face, and I just take it, laugh it off, even when I know they are intentionally trying to disrespect me. I mostly blame the soft schools I went to, which fostered within me a feeling that I’m a huge ? , as I never got into fights. I used to get verbally bullied every day in middle school and high school, by kids that are half my size. I would never fight back, just get sad & feel like no one wanted to be my friend, when in fact I was just being socially awkward. Most people in that situation are witty & quick with sarcastic replies, I never have been. I’m awkward around people a lot of the time because I simply don’t know how to act around them..

On May 5, after feeling humiliated by Incognito and Pouncey during a yacht trip, Martin sent his mother these messages: I’m never gonna change. I got punked again today. Like a little ? . And I never do anything about it. I was sobbing in a rented yacht bathroom earlier

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/acrobat/2014-02/149251740-14072021.pdf
  • R.D.
    Options
    Bruh needs a therapist

He's done with football and he needs to accept that
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    if you read the texts that his dad sent to him, its easy to see why martin was never able to fend off "bullies"
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Martin's been getting bullied since middle and high school. It killed his self-esteem and self-confidence. Dude's been fragile ever since.

According to Martin,in middle school and high school he was the victim of bullying, which diminished his self-confidence and self-esteem and contributed to what he self-diagnosed as periodic bouts of depression during his teenage years. Martin claims that the depression he experienced in high school recurred as a result of mistreatment by his teammates on the Dolphins and that on two occasions in 2013 he even contemplated suicide.

On April 22, 2013, Martin wrote to his mother: I figured out a major source of my anxiety. I’m a push over, a people pleaser. I avoid confrontation whenever I can, I always want everyone to like me. I let people talk about me, say anything to my face, and I just take it, laugh it off, even when I know they are intentionally trying to disrespect me. I mostly blame the soft schools I went to, which fostered within me a feeling that I’m a huge ? , as I never got into fights. I used to get verbally bullied every day in middle school and high school, by kids that are half my size. I would never fight back, just get sad & feel like no one wanted to be my friend, when in fact I was just being socially awkward. Most people in that situation are witty & quick with sarcastic replies, I never have been. I’m awkward around people a lot of the time because I simply don’t know how to act around them..

On May 5, after feeling humiliated by Incognito and Pouncey during a yacht trip, Martin sent his mother these messages: I’m never gonna change. I got punked again today. Like a little ? . And I never do anything about it. I was sobbing in a rented yacht bathroom earlier

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/acrobat/2014-02/149251740-14072021.pdf

i cant front... Middle school was hard for me.. i was kinda stuck on the same ? .. i wanted to be everybody friend but my problem was i was bigger than everyone and too smart for my own good.. the kid that teachers loved but most ? hated.. but football changed that ? .. idk bout him but on the football field, everything is equal.. u get respect for what u do and nothing else... nobody wanted to be the coolest kid in school but gettin no PT.. sports is where alot of freakish sized guys get their confidence from.. so i get that.. but at the end of the day thats middle school ? ... at some point, u stop being a ? ... i remember the moment i started playing ball, them ? tried to ? wit me..i was cool until that trip we was coming back from wayne county and that ? put that mayo in my hand while i was sleep...tickled my face, and SPLAT!!! i got up and gave dude PTSD from the ass wooping i handed him... after that, we still ? around wit each other but none of that one sided ? .. how the ? do u walk thru life and never once defend urself???i dont get that ? ..it takes a certain type of aggression to play oline, especially in college and on the pro level.. a certain type of cockiness.. i dont see how the hell dude made it to the nfl... and im by no means condoning incognito racist ass but i get y the doplins players backed who they backed... they all felt like Johnathon martin was a ? and it affected his play... u let a cracka call u a ? , talk about ur mom and sister..no....talk about having a 3some with ur mom and sister and u still dont say ? ????????????????
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    And now Incognito is saying he's sorry for acting like a baby and Martin is still his "brother"...these 2 sound like a bad break up being played out in public
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dem two was ? lovers that's why he didn't bash jerry on his bf incognito. Martin can play I can't agree that he should be kicked out.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10485503/miami-dolphins-fire-offenive-line-coach-jim-turner-trainer-kevin-oneill-following-wells-report
    Dolphins Fire Head Trainer Kevin O'Neil

The Miami Dolphins have fired offensive line coach Jim Turner and long-time head athletics trainer Kevin O'Neill, a fallout from the Ted Wells report concerning workplace harassment, the team announced Wednesday.

The Dolphins informed O'Neill of his dismissal after he had arrived at the Indianapolis Scouting Combine on Wednesday, according to sources, while Turner did not accompany team to the combine.

Turner recently finished his second year with the Dolphins while O'Neill had been with the organization for 18 years.

"The language and behavior as described in the Ted Wells report are against the core values of our organization," said Dolphins owner Stephen Ross in a statement. "After receiving the report, I conducted my own internal review of the facts to determine the appropriate steps for our organization. Jim Turner and Kevin O'Neill are good people who care a great deal about their profession and the players whom they serve, but both exhibited poor judgment at times which led me to this conclusion."

The Wells report, released Friday by the NFL investigator stated that Dolphins offensive lineman Jonathan Martin was subjected to "a pattern of harassment" that included racial slurs and vicious sexual taunts about his mother and sister by three teammates.

The 144-page report said Richie Incognito, who was suspended by the team in November, and fellow offensive linemen John Jerry and Mike Pouncey harassed Martin, while another offensive lineman and an assistant trainer also routinely came under attack, the investigation found.

The investigation states one of O'Neill's assistants, who was born in Japan, was the target of racial slurs from Incognito, Pouncey and Jerry. O'Neill failed to do anything and "allegedly even laughed at some of the racial insults," according to the report.

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin and the front office were not aware of the players' mistreatment of Martin, Player A or the assistant trainer, the report determined.

"As the head coach of the Miami Dolphins, it is my responsibility to create an atmosphere that allows each player the opportunity to reach his full potential," Philbin said in the release. "As Stephen Ross said, and I agree, the language and behavior outlined in Ted Wells' report was disappointing and unacceptable.

"Since I first arrived in Miami, it has been my goal to have a team which honors our proud tradition and represents our fan base the right way both on and off the field. It is not possible for a team to accomplish its goals when the fundamental values of respect are violated. That ultimately rests on my shoulders and I will be accountable moving forward for making sure that we emphasize a team-first culture of respect towards one another."
  • R.D.
    Options
    Philbin full of ? ...if u dnt start with him, why fire anybody ?
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Martin getting coaches fired and ending dudes career he's never playing in the league again.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tymoney19 wrote: »
    Martin getting coaches fired and ending dudes career he's never playing in the league again.

If he comes out the closet the league will force a team to sign him
  • marc123
    Options

If he comes out the closet the league will force a team to sign him

• marc123
    Options
    ole fat ? fagget ? gettin ppl fired. Martin should be ashamed of himself. smh
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Martin handled this ? wrong, but let's not act like it's normal for teams, nor coaches or staff apparently to just be hurling racial insults at training staff members and it's all cool.
  • R.D.
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

Martin handled this ? wrong, but let's not act like it's normal for teams, nor coaches or staff apparently to just be hurling racial insults at training staff members and it's all cool.

Wht NFL locker room were u apart of ?

How can u say that when Charles Barkley jst came out and said the locker room is racist, homophobic, and sexist ?
  • stringer bell
    Options
    touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79386241/
    Dolphins firings only the beginning to saga

When Miami Dolphins offensive linemen Richie Incognito, Mike Pouncey and John Jerry threw racial taunts at the team's assistant trainer last season, head trainer Kevin O'Neill did not stand idly by, as NFL investigator Ted Wells released in his report on the Miami Dolphins' locker room culture last Friday.

Nor, according to a source, did O'Neill, "allegedly [laugh] at some of the racial insults," as the report said, a claim even Wells seemed unsure of as the murky word, "allegedly" suggests.

O'Neill, the source says, did not hear any taunts. But when word of them reached him, O'Neill pulled Japanese-born assistant trainer, Naohisa Inoue, into his office, closed the door and talked directly to him.

"How do you want to handle this?" O'Neill asked Inoue. "Do you want to handle this yourself? Or do you want me to intervene?"

Inoue said he would take care of it. The next time Incognito started in on a racial taunt, Inoue told him to shut up using two expletives.

Incognito immediately apologized to Inoue, the source says. Incognito explained to the assistant trainer he didn't understand he had crossed the line between a locker-room joke and a racial taunt.

This wasn't in the Wells Report.

But ask yourself this: Don't you wish all the Dolphins ugliness was handled this way? Wouldn't it have prevented the franchise — and Incognito — from dripping with embarrassment today?

And so the firing of O'Neill on Wednesday night raises more questions than it answers. Certainly it's stranger than the firing of offensive line coach Jim Turner. Turner didn't stop the harassment involving his employees.

O'Neill did in as practical and professional a way as you'd expect someone 25 years in the NFL to do. Turner was a NFL rube, the Dolphins being his first pro job after a career in college.

On Friday, O'Neill was set to be honored in Indianapolis as the NFL's Trainer of the Year, too, as voted by team trainers and medical staff. Instead, he was pulled out of a meeting with these trainers (he gave a talk on this exact Dolphins' mess to help his peers).

He was summoned before coach Joe Philbin, Executive Vice President of Football Administration Dawn Aponte and General Manager Dennis Hickey and fired. No discussion. No explanation.

And the curious timing?

Dolphins owner Steve Ross waited until after O'Neill flew to Indianapolis for the combine. Turner didn't go to Indianapolis, the idea being the team knew he was fired.

"There was a lot of pressure to fire Kevin," a second source said.

Pressure from the league?

"Yep," the source said.

That's because O'Neill didn't play ball with Wells. O'Neill seemed to have problems with the investigation that cut directly to his job. He doesn't simply treat players' injuries. He has a team of psychologists, psychiatrists and drug counselors to help players, including Martin.

O'Neill felt bound by the Federal Health Insurance and Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) law that prevents the release of private medical information to independent parties, his former boss at the University of Miami, Dallas Cowboys and Dolphins, Jimmy Johnson tweeted.

O'Neill wasn't alone in struggling with the Wells investigation. Inoue, for instance, "implied that he could not be candid with us because he was concerned about losing the trust of the players, which he felt would compromise his ability to perform his job," the report said.

Wells did as thorough a report as he could, interviewing more than 100 people and taking four months. But as the Wells report reads on, it drops the word, "allegedly" regarding charges against O'Neil and states his reaction to the racial slurs as fact.

He, "not only overheard the racial insults, but also sometimes laughed along and never intervened. We did not cover this specific topic in our interview with O'Neill, which was cut short because O'Neill expressed hostility toward our investigation."

There remain questions for O'Neill. Namely, did he go to Philbin with concerns? Why didn't he tell Wells of the way the Inoue-Incognito situation was handled? Could he have helped more?

The manner O'Neill counseled Inoue to act isn't surprising. He did the same for Martin. The Wells report says O'Neill pulled Martin, "aside and told him he was too nice and needed to stand up for himself more."

That's exactly what Martin's father, Gus, repeatedly told his son, too, the report said. Gus Martin texted his son that if a player again uses the n-word or says anything about his sister, "just stare at them and give them your finger."

Before meeting with Wells, the source said, O'Neill had asked Aponte if he needed a lawyer. Aponte, a lawyer, said he didn't. When he was fired on Wednesday, O'Neill was silent. Aponte asked if he had any questions.

"Talk to my lawyer," he said.

This story isn't over. Nor, it seems, is the ugliness
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Straight witch hunt out there. all because a ? caught feelings. smh.