Spinoff: For The 10 Thousandth Time...The "African American" vs "Black American" Thread...

Options

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »
    ^^^ You are an immigrant...Americans are not...Do you see the difference...?

the man said the point of immigration was to become american
    don't just read my reply read what he said then read my reply

No...You came here for that specific reason...Ery black person that ever came here did not...Some did come to assimilate...Some came to marry...Some came to study...Some had no choice, like me...Point is, an immigrant is not the same as someone who has generations of family here on both sides...You usually won't have the same mentality or upbringing...

Most immigrants came here for a better life and nothing more i would have went to the uk if i thought it would have been better, there was nothing about america that made it more special other than they were the ones who took me. assimilation is the last thing in the back of an immigrants mind Lol you think a border jumper gives a rats ass about being american?

people marry ameicans to get citizenship so that they can have more opportunities or for love. being an american was not their focus. the problem with america is that it is not a real identity it's only a nationality and that is why there is hypenated america.
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BIGG WILL wrote: »
    Yall telling me we have 'black" folks not wanting to be called African-American, but will call each other ? all day and night?

lol, come on son....

Lol completely missing the point bruh...
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Why the ? not?...Blacks damn built this country...You should take pride in the fact that your ancestors' made you equal to the British/French/etc white people who brought them here...It's not like America is just paradise for blacks but if you from here why should you have to feel any less than American?...Why do you need to be classified a step further?

lol this ? said Blacks should be "proud" to be American
    Oh nah, don't get me wrong. I hate the term African American too. But it's ridiculous to think Blacks should be proud of this nation knowing the history of our oppression from day one. A country where Black life is viewed so worthless that citizens and cops repeatedly ? us w/o ever having to worry about punishment.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah...? America for that, I agree...Still though...American blacks are just that, American...
  • bkkbully
    Options

No...You came here for that specific reason...Ery black person that ever came here did not...Some did come to assimilate...Some came to marry...Some came to study...Some had no choice, like me...Point is, an immigrant is not the same as someone who has generations of family here on both sides...You usually won't have the same mentality or upbringing...

Most immigrants came here for a better life and nothing more i would have went to the uk if i thought it would have been better, there was nothing about america that made it more special other than they were the ones who took me. assimilation is the last thing in the back of an immigrants mind Lol you think a border jumper gives a rats ass about being american?

people marry ameicans to get citizenship so that they can have more opportunities or for love. being an american was not their focus. the problem with america is that it is not a real identity it's only a nationality and that is why there is hypenated america.

I can't stand when people say that, because Americans are a true identity and a true culture. I've only found this out in the last few years or so only because I've traveled. America has a culture (though a young one). You can see it everywhere in the world actually. There are millions of people around the globe who emulate how Americans dress, talk, walk, speak, the movies, the American slang, the music etc etc. Our greatest exports are weapons and entertainment. The influence spreads vastly
  • zombie
    Options
    bkkbully wrote: »

I can't stand when people say that, because Americans are a true identity and a true culture. I've only found this out in the last few years or so only because I've traveled. America has a culture (though a young one). You can see it everywhere in the world actually. There are millions of people around the globe who emulate how Americans dress, talk, walk, speak, the movies, the American slang, the music etc etc. Our greatest exports are weapons and entertainment. The influence spreads vastly

most of americas so called cultural creations cannot find there birth solely in america. american music is really african and european music. americans don't walk different, and entertainment by itself cannot be a culture. america is too young to have it's own culture. what you have in this nation is pockets of other peoples culture.
  • zombie
    Options
    Yeah...? America for that, I agree...Still though...American blacks are just that, American...

define american?
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I'll feel better about dropping 'African-American' when this country affords everybody the same rights and privileges. And why is it that I've never heard anyone call for any other ethnic group to let go of their heritage like that? My mom spent most of her young adult life in NY so I used to spend summers there with Granny. Never heard anyone tell the Italian-American cats, 'Fam, you ain't never been to Italy. Your great, great grandparents came over here 80 years ago. Cut it out. You're American.

And they don't even identify as 'Italian-American'. If you ask, they'll tell you 'I'm Italian'.

Until they go to Italy and Italians say to them, 'Your not Italian, your AMERICAN. Your mannerisms are American, you walk American, etc etc.' I think when we all realize that we are all Americans and we drop the 'pre ethnicity' role call, ? will make much more sense

Yeah, we're all American. But this country was founded on certain principals that don't usually apply to people of color. I'm so not one of the Al Sharpton ? who always looking for a mountain top to scream 'Black power' from. But should I identify myself as American first, if the very principals that this country was founded on don't apply to people who look like me? Should forget that my lineage goes back to West Africa and pledge myself fully to a place where I can't walk down the street without being stopped, handcuffed and searched?

Nah, I'm good.

African American works fine for me. Black, as well. 'Black American'? Lol. Nah.

Bruh I understand what your saying. I never said forget your lineage. Plus in most countries around the world you can walk around without being stopped, handcuffed, and searched. All I'm saying is, your American. If you get a passport, it says American not African American and I think more Americans should realize that we're all one regardless of our ? up backgrounds. Every country has its downfalls. I'm typing this from China right now. I went out to a bar with a few Kenyans and even Chinese people knew right away that I was American. I'm just saying bruh, America is ours to claim just like everyone else's

And I get what you're saying. I just don't agree with you. That's ok, son. We ain't gotta agree. What part of China you in? I was there a couple years back hanging with a bunch of cats from around the world. ? was like the United Nations at the bar and ? . Lol.

lol real ? ! All good fam. Right now I'm in Shanghai. Was in Hangzhou for a few days and was in Hong Kong a week before.

Gotcha. This Canadian kid I know works outta Shanghai. I'm prolly gonna be there before the end of next year at some point. I hear Shanghai and Hong Kong are similar to NY and LA, which makes me less excited to visit. I spent a couple weeks in Beijing a couple years ago. ? was dope.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How come white people from all different backgrounds/places can band together under the color 'white' but black people gotta stay separated/fragmented? ? don't hear me tho
  • zombie
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    How come white people from all different backgrounds/places can band together under the color 'white' but black people gotta stay separated/fragmented? ? don't hear me tho

because ? are stupid
  • bkkbully
    Options

most of americas so called cultural creations cannot find there birth solely in america. american music is really african and european music. americans don't walk different, and entertainment by itself cannot be a culture. america is too young to have it's own culture. what you have in this nation is pockets of other peoples culture.

So your telling me Jazz, blues, rock, country & hip hop isn't American music/culture? Don't come at me on some 'drums started in Africa so the heart of music is in Africa' type ish.' Come on bruh. We created Hollywood, we created the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB where players from around the world are recruited to play. We created Google, we created Apple. With that said, entertainment is very much part of our culture, as is weapons (which is why I brought up our main exports). What other country in the world has 'Gun Culture' like America? It belongs to us.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

define american?

Born and raised in America, raised with american societal norms, regardless of your color...
  • bkkbully
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »

How come ? keep comparing white scenarios to us?! Like we should be looking up to them. Always rubbed me the wrong way when folk say ? like 'If white folk can do that, how come...". Why the ? do we need to compare?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't even think african+american is a real ethnicity. Because who is african american, what language you speak, what unique cultural pratices are there etc
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    BossBoo wrote: »
    "i aint from Africa, im from Crenshaw Mafia."

Like it or not, you from Africa
  • zombie
    Options

So your telling me Jazz, blues, rock, country & hip hop isn't American music/culture? Don't come at me on some 'drums started in Africa so the heart of music is in Africa' type ish.' Come on bruh. We created Hollywood, we created the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB where players from around the world are recruited to play. We created Google, we created Apple. With that said, entertainment is very much part of our culture, as is weapons (which is why I brought up our main exports). What other country in the world has 'Gun Culture' like America? It belongs to us.

? are you serious lol basketball was invented by a canadian and what you call football is rugby with pads baseball is a form of cricket and jazz is based on african music played on european instuments it was put together in america but the elements that made jazz were not invented in america.

google and apple have nothing to do with culture the first movie was not made in america and if you want to claim americas gun obsession as a real culture and not a misnomer okay.
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't even think african+american is a real ethnicity. Because who is african american, what language you speak, what unique cultural pratices are there etc

Aye bro.

Youre african american but what country of africa are you from?

I rather say im "Nigerian American" than african American but I dont know what country I am from in Africa to tell you. :(

So, im black American until further notice.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    All the ? that say they too black
    Send em overseas, they'll be begging to come back.

Ice Cube
  • zombie
    edited November 2013
    Options

define american?

Born and raised in America, raised with american societal norms, regardless of your color...

american societal norms come from europe our entire way of looking at the world originated in europe not in america there is not alot that is original here. even the idea of a federal government that controls a state government is not original to the people who founded the political entity that we call america.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Miles this thread sounds more like u aggy that ppl not born in africa call them selves african
  • Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I don't attach myself to "Jesse Jackson-ism's" (he created the term in 1988 when he ran for president)... though the term/byword "black" is vague, it will suffice. We get a new identity every 25/30/40 or so years it seems. Colored to ? to black to AA...
    I'm neither African nor Amerikkkan (just only on paper being that the option isn't multi-choice nor custom)

My birth certificate has me down as ? .
  • bkkbully
    Options

? are you serious lol basketball was invented by a canadian and what you call football is rugby with pads baseball is a form of cricket and jazz is based on african music played on european instuments it was put together in america but the elements that made jazz were not invented in america.

google and apple have nothing to do with culture the first movie was not made in america and if you want to claim americas gun obsession as a real culture and not a misnomer okay.

Bruh...no one said anything about who invented basketball. This has nothing to do with the 'first' anything. I'm talking about now, in our lifetime. Why do you think the NFL is called American Football around the world ? ?! Thats our ? ! That's our culture. Don't front and act like the major league sports (besides soccer, cricket, & rugby) aren't based in the USA. Don't front and act like Google/Apple didn't change the world with American technology. It doesn't matter if the first movie wasn't made in America. Where are Hollywood blockbusters based? Where do actors around the world go to to make their dreams come true? Entertainment is so ingrained in American life you might not even realize it. Any instrument can be used to make jazz, duh. It's not the tools, its what you do with the tools. Hence, AMERICA
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    evilchuck wrote: »

Aye bro.

Youre african american but what country of africa are you from?

I rather say im "Nigerian American" than african American but I dont know what country I am from in Africa to tell you. :(

So, im black American until further notice.

Say you find out you are of Akan or Igbo or Yoruba descent? How would you identify?
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yoruba,Igbo, or Akan American.
  • zombie
    Options

Bruh...no one said anything about who invented basketball. This has nothing to do with the 'first' anything. I'm talking about now, in our lifetime. Why do you think the NFL is called American Football around the world ? ?! Thats our ? ! That's our culture. Don't front and act like the major league sports (besides soccer, cricket, & rugby) aren't based in the USA. Don't front and act like Google/Apple didn't change the world with American technology. It doesn't matter if the first movie wasn't made in America. Where are Hollywood blockbusters based? Where do actors around the world go to to make their dreams come true? Entertainment is so ingrained in American life you might not even realize it. Any instrument can be used to make jazz, duh. It's not the tools, its what you do with the tools. Hence, AMERICA

you said the sports were american, but they were not invented by americans.you need to educate yourself some more apple and google are international companies the fact that they are based in america is meaningless. and just because something is popular does not mean that it is a cultural creation of the society that popularizes it.

anime was created by japan and is big there if america starts making more popular anime does that mean that anime is part of american culture and america should claim it. and that it is no longer japanese. a culture is a way of seeing the world not just a ? sport or music or any art those things are creations of a culture.

but america has none that is uniquely american