Spinoff: For The 10 Thousandth Time...The "African American" vs "Black American" Thread...

Options

Comments

• bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    bkkbully wrote: »
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    ^^^ You are an immigrant...Americans are not...Do you see the difference...?

the man said the point of immigration was to become american
    don't just read my reply read what he said then read my reply

No...You came here for that specific reason...Ery black person that ever came here did not...Some did come to assimilate...Some came to marry...Some came to study...Some had no choice, like me...Point is, an immigrant is not the same as someone who has generations of family here on both sides...You usually won't have the same mentality or upbringing...

Most immigrants came here for a better life and nothing more i would have went to the uk if i thought it would have been better, there was nothing about america that made it more special other than they were the ones who took me. assimilation is the last thing in the back of an immigrants mind Lol you think a border jumper gives a rats ass about being american?

people marry ameicans to get citizenship so that they can have more opportunities or for love. being an american was not their focus. the problem with america is that it is not a real identity it's only a nationality and that is why there is hypenated america.

I can't stand when people say that, because Americans are a true identity and a true culture. I've only found this out in the last few years or so only because I've traveled. America has a culture (though a young one). You can see it everywhere in the world actually. There are millions of people around the globe who emulate how Americans dress, talk, walk, speak, the movies, the American slang, the music etc etc. Our greatest exports are weapons and entertainment. The influence spreads vastly

most of americas so called cultural creations cannot find there birth solely in america. american music is really african and european music. americans don't walk different, and entertainment by itself cannot be a culture. america is too young to have it's own culture. what you have in this nation is pockets of other peoples culture.

So your telling me Jazz, blues, rock, country & hip hop isn't American music/culture? Don't come at me on some 'drums started in Africa so the heart of music is in Africa' type ish.' Come on bruh. We created Hollywood, we created the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB where players from around the world are recruited to play. We created Google, we created Apple. With that said, entertainment is very much part of our culture, as is weapons (which is why I brought up our main exports). What other country in the world has 'Gun Culture' like America? It belongs to us.

? are you serious lol basketball was invented by a canadian and what you call football is rugby with pads baseball is a form of cricket and jazz is based on african music played on european instuments it was put together in america but the elements that made jazz were not invented in america.

google and apple have nothing to do with culture the first movie was not made in america and if you want to claim americas gun obsession as a real culture and not a misnomer okay.

Bruh...no one said anything about who invented basketball. This has nothing to do with the 'first' anything. I'm talking about now, in our lifetime. Why do you think the NFL is called American Football around the world ? ?! Thats our ? ! That's our culture. Don't front and act like the major league sports (besides soccer, cricket, & rugby) aren't based in the USA. Don't front and act like Google/Apple didn't change the world with American technology. It doesn't matter if the first movie wasn't made in America. Where are Hollywood blockbusters based? Where do actors around the world go to to make their dreams come true? Entertainment is so ingrained in American life you might not even realize it. Any instrument can be used to make jazz, duh. It's not the tools, its what you do with the tools. Hence, AMERICA

you said the sports were american, but they were not invented by americans.you need to educate yourself some more apple and google are international companies the fact that they are based in america is meaningless. and just because something is popular does not mean that it is a cultural creation of the society that popularizes it.

anime was created by japan and is big there if america starts making more popular anime does that mean that anime is part of american culture and america should claim it. and that it is no longer japanese. a culture is a way of seeing the world not just a ? sport or music or any art those things are creations of a culture.

but america has none that is uniquely american

Let my ? Webster define culture for you :

: the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time

: a particular society that has its own beliefs, ways of life, art, etc.

: a way of thinking, behaving, or working that exists in a place or organization (such as a business)

I won't go any further. Enjoy America my fellow American

EDIT: My bad I lied I will go further. Yes, Google & Apple are international companies. AMERICAN international companies. Which means no matter how many offices around the world are opened, they are still American. It doesn't matter where its based, its matters where its registered. Just like your passport.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No...You came here for that specific reason...Ery black person that ever came here did not...Some did come to assimilate...Some came to marry...Some came to study...Some had no choice, like me...Point is, an immigrant is not the same as someone who has generations of family here on both sides...You usually won't have the same mentality or upbringing...

Most immigrants came here for a better life and nothing more i would have went to the uk if i thought it would have been better, there was nothing about america that made it more special other than they were the ones who took me. assimilation is the last thing in the back of an immigrants mind Lol you think a border jumper gives a rats ass about being american?

people marry ameicans to get citizenship so that they can have more opportunities or for love. being an american was not their focus. the problem with america is that it is not a real identity it's only a nationality and that is why there is hypenated america.

I can't stand when people say that, because Americans are a true identity and a true culture. I've only found this out in the last few years or so only because I've traveled. America has a culture (though a young one). You can see it everywhere in the world actually. There are millions of people around the globe who emulate how Americans dress, talk, walk, speak, the movies, the American slang, the music etc etc. Our greatest exports are weapons and entertainment. The influence spreads vastly

most of americas so called cultural creations cannot find there birth solely in america. american music is really african and european music. americans don't walk different, and entertainment by itself cannot be a culture. america is too young to have it's own culture. what you have in this nation is pockets of other peoples culture.

So your telling me Jazz, blues, rock, country & hip hop isn't American music/culture? Don't come at me on some 'drums started in Africa so the heart of music is in Africa' type ish.' Come on bruh. We created Hollywood, we created the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB where players from around the world are recruited to play. We created Google, we created Apple. With that said, entertainment is very much part of our culture, as is weapons (which is why I brought up our main exports). What other country in the world has 'Gun Culture' like America? It belongs to us.

? are you serious lol basketball was invented by a canadian and what you call football is rugby with pads baseball is a form of cricket and jazz is based on african music played on european instuments it was put together in america but the elements that made jazz were not invented in america.

google and apple have nothing to do with culture the first movie was not made in america and if you want to claim americas gun obsession as a real culture and not a misnomer okay.

Bruh...no one said anything about who invented basketball. This has nothing to do with the 'first' anything. I'm talking about now, in our lifetime. Why do you think the NFL is called American Football around the world ? ?! Thats our ? ! That's our culture. Don't front and act like the major league sports (besides soccer, cricket, & rugby) aren't based in the USA. Don't front and act like Google/Apple didn't change the world with American technology. It doesn't matter if the first movie wasn't made in America. Where are Hollywood blockbusters based? Where do actors around the world go to to make their dreams come true? Entertainment is so ingrained in American life you might not even realize it. Any instrument can be used to make jazz, duh. It's not the tools, its what you do with the tools. Hence, AMERICA

you said the sports were american, but they were not invented by americans.you need to educate yourself some more apple and google are international companies the fact that they are based in america is meaningless. and just because something is popular does not mean that it is a cultural creation of the society that popularizes it.

anime was created by japan and is big there if america starts making more popular anime does that mean that anime is part of american culture and america should claim it. and that it is no longer japanese. a culture is a way of seeing the world not just a ? sport or music or any art those things are creations of a culture.

: the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time

: a way of thinking, behaving, or working that exists in a place or organization (such as a business)

none of which originates in america and you won't go further becuase you can't

and i am not american not matter what my passport says
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't even think african+american is a real ethnicity. Because who is african american, what language you speak, what unique cultural pratices are there etc

Well, true...There's being from the continent...And also being from a country in it...
    Miles this thread sounds more like u aggy that ppl not born in africa call them selves african

I already stated I think the term "African American" is widely mis-used and accepted on a mainstream level to pacify American blacks...If I'm a black Haitian and a white person calls me "African American", I'd be offended...No, I'm not from Africa...Don't assume that just cause I'm black...If I'm an Arab Moroccan immigrant and a white American calls me Muslim or whatever, I'd be offended...No, I'm African American...It's cool to learn about Africa as a black person, but at the end of the day, if you or your immediate family aren't from there or anywhere else you shouldn't be categorized as an AA or anything else...You're an American, and there's nothing wrong with that...It's funny to me when I meet kids out age who just now got into Afrocentric ideals and wanna denounce all things American...But they can't een wrap they heads around the existence of white, yellow, and brown Africans...They know all about Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, Liberia, Egypt, and that's usually it...We're all black(een though Ion necessarily like that term) and that should unify us, I agree...But we all come from different backgrounds and have different perspectives at this point...And there's nothing wrong with black Americans embracing the impact they've had on this country and claiming/demanding equality in it...

• bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_States

I don't really care if you feel like your 'not American'. Feel how you like, its a free country. If you have an American passport, your paying American taxes. So I'm sure your check feels pretty American.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't see a real urgency to choose ....

if you want to be called "black American" cool.
    If you want to be called "African American" cool.

No shade but this is just one of those wedge issues.
  • A1000MILES
    Options

Of course you're not American...You might be a citizen but you're not from here...You are Jamaican American...However, if you stay here...Your kids' kids, or their kids. will undoubtedly be American...Not Jamaican American, not African American...American.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao this ? said 'my ? webster' like they used to do dirt together
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't even think african+american is a real ethnicity. Because who is african american, what language you speak, what unique cultural pratices are there etc

Well, true...There's being from the continent...And also being from a country in it...
    Miles this thread sounds more like u aggy that ppl not born in africa call them selves african

I already stated I think the term "African American" is widely mis-used and accepted on a mainstream level to pacify American blacks...If I'm a black Haitian and a white person calls me "African American", I'd be offended...No, I'm not from Africa...Don't assume that just cause I'm black...If I'm an Arab Moroccan immigrant and a white American calls me Muslim or whatever, I'd be offended...No, I'm African American...It's cool to learn about Africa as a black person, but at the end of the day, if you or your immediate family aren't from there or anywhere else you shouldn't be categorized as an AA or anything else...You're an American, and there's nothing wrong with that...It's funny to me when I meet kids out age who just now got into Afrocentric ideals and wanna denounce all things American...But they can't een wrap they heads around the existence of white, yellow, and brown Africans...They know all about Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, Liberia, Egypt, and that's usually it...We're all black(een though Ion necessarily like that term) and that should unify us, I agree...But we all come from different backgrounds and have different perspectives at this point...And there's nothing wrong with black Americans embracing the impact they've had on this country and claiming/demanding equality in it...

Bolded: don't know any Haitians (i'm part Haitian) that would feel that way
    underline: most Arab North Africans don't really identify with Sub-Saharan Black Africans
    --
    it goes back to my other post: what is "African-American"? is it even a real ethnicity? Is "American" an ethnicity?

just saying a "black" person living in America isn't good enough

i had a convo with my aunt who works as a consultant with several foreign govts, and she was talking about how America is not a real county nor is American a real ancestry

The same people in this thread will get mad if a dark skinned person from Puerto Rico says i'm not Black (aka AFrican American) i'm Puerto Rican. Because of the creolization that occurred in the Western Hemisphere, we have this discussion

Now i disagree with you saying that a black person can't identify at all with being African but i feel like the black diaspora needs to be clear on what is "black" or not with clearly defined names and ?

personally i don't call my self "African American" i say "Afro-Caribbean-American" or "Afro-West Indian American" and i use black as a blanket term for all Afro-descended people in the world
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    I'd have no problem with a black puerto rican sayin he's not African American...He's not...
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    black in both sense of the word
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    And I'm not sayin a black person can't identify with bein African...I'm sayin a black person born in America with generations of American black family members should not be sub categorized as an "African American"...No, they are American...
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is no other people who use two continents to describe their nationality other than African Americans

The term was created to give credit to our ancestors but it lacks true identity because the continent of Africa has more than 50 countries which we could have come from.

Whatever you feel comfortable calling yourself do that.

• Beech Oss Neega
    Beech Oss Neega Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When is the last time you heard a white person born in America call their self a Russian American or a European American or some ? ? It doesn't really happen...the only REAL Americans are native Americans, so why can't I just say I'm black?
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    When is the last time you heard a white person born in America call their self a Russian American or a European American or some ? ? It doesn't really happen...the only REAL Americans are native Americans, so why can't I just say I'm black?

all the time
    And I'm not sayin a black person can't identify with bein African...I'm sayin a black person born in America with generations of American black family members should not be sub categorized as an "African American"...No, they are American...

what is american?
  • A1000MILES
    Options

what is american?

Born and raised in America, raised with american societal norms, regardless of your color...
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    what about a Guamanian, ? Islander or Puerto Rican.

what if you are born and raised in Chinatown speaking Cantonese?

or born here raised Sikh
    etc etc
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We don't refer to Asians as Asian American. We just call all of them Asian. Same with Mexicans, never heard of a Mexican American before.

If I was a black Canadian living in the US, it wouldn't make much sense to call me an African American since I wouldn't be an American.

I prefer to be called an African.
  • Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    funny thing is all of these identities lack to tell what ones true ethnicity is (with exception to my African brothers and sisters that know they are an Igbo/Yoruba/Wolof/Fulani/Tigre/Somali etc... they at least have a true identity that wasn't stripped from them)

the rest of us name ourselves after the name of a piece of rock stickin out of the ground "i'm Haitian" (ok, that doesn't say what ethnicity... just what rock you derive from)
    I'm Jamaican/West Indian (lets see, that's the name of a country and a region that has actually nothing to do with India)
    I'm Guyanese/Pureto Rican/Cuban (same ? , just the name of a rock sticking out of the water but still no ethnicity given)

Black - a color/a byword/an experience/people in the dark on who they are ethnically/vague replacement for an ethnicity...

this damn devil got us all fugged up (smh)
  • Young Stef
    Young Stef Members Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @BlackGerald Good ? My dude I went through that back when I went to jamaica then having a sibling pass and sharing caribbean lineage he was haitian ironically It made me more appreciative of the exact points u are arguing among other things.
  • zombie
    edited November 2013
    Options

Of course you're not American...You might be a citizen but you're not from here...You are Jamaican American...However, if you stay here...Your kids' kids, or their kids. will undoubtedly be American...Not Jamaican American, not African American...American.

if i am not american my kids cannot be american either there is no such things as an american the term american is nothing more than a political creation it does not tell you anything about the person other than where they were born.

• zombie
    Options
    Rahlow wrote: »
    funny thing is all of these identities lack to tell what ones true ethnicity is (with exception to my African brothers and sisters that know they are an Igbo/Yoruba/Wolof/Fulani/Tigre/Somali etc... they at least have a true identity that wasn't stripped from them)

the rest of us name ourselves after the name of a piece of rock stickin out of the ground "i'm Haitian" (ok, that doesn't say what ethnicity... just what rock you derive from)
    I'm Jamaican/West Indian (lets see, that's the name of a country and a region that has actually nothing to do with India)
    I'm Guyanese/Pureto Rican/Cuban (same ? , just the name of a rock sticking out of the water but still no ethnicity given)

Black - a color/a byword/an experience/people in the dark on who they are ethnically/vague replacement for an ethnicity...

this damn devil got us all fugged up (smh)

• Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    what about a Guamanian, ? Islander or Puerto Rican.

what if you are born and raised in Chinatown speaking Cantonese?

or born here raised Sikh
    etc etc[/qoute]

Then you weren't raised to conform to societal norms...This ain't difficult, cuh...It's undeniable that there is a distinct "American" culture/behavior...Our media dictates what is normal/acceptable to us...If you were raised here but fall outside of that, you were simply raised differently...That doesn't negate the fact that you are from here though...And thus, American still...
  • A1000MILES
    Options

if i am not american my kids cannot be american either there is no such things as an american the term american is nothing more than a political creation it does not tell you anything about the person other than where they were born.

What's your point here?...Mine is that a person should be classified based on where they were born and/or raised....Not where their great great great great great great great great great ancestors that they kniw nothing about came from...
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    just examining your opinion on different angles

how about two americans raising a child in a foreign country, child is american or nah?