Spinoff: For The 10 Thousandth Time...The "African American" vs "Black American" Thread...

Options

Comments

• Young Stef
    Young Stef Members Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @marcusgarvey What about the slavery that occurred throughout the Caribbean as well as the Southern US states and u do care cause u wouldn't have posted if u didn't
  • Young Stef
    Options
    @MarcusGarvey The Caribbean and surrounding areas also experienced slavery & indentured servitude which resulted in racial mixing but American blacks we act as if that is not plausible tho it is as well as those who act as if u can't have a fair complexion and be African American
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Young Stef
    I think you misconstrued my point. I'm saying what would you call a kid with one parent African American (as I defined it) and one from Caribbean as I defined it. That's when I said I don't know who cares.

My overall point is I consider Americans who are ancestors american slaves as African American and those who immigrants and assimilated as Black Americans or [whatever country your from]-American
  • Young Stef
    Options
    @MarcusGarvey Which is also plausible without having a diverse ancestry we will dictate what our fellow man's ancestral background without knowing our own John Singleton hit the nail on the head we will feed into media portrayals but not do research into our family history or just research it on our own because we don't have the resources.
  • Young Stef
    Options
    @MarcusGarvey Some will practice self hatred which is deplorable and sad cause If everyone is created uniquely why destroy what makes u an individual Black Is Beautiful Stokely Carmichael aka Kwame Toure Peace
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    @Young Stef
    True. I hear what you're saying. Due to slavery a lot of people considered black or African American ? or whatever is in vogue have European heritage as well. My point is that I consider black people who roots in America goes back to slavery as African-Americans and those who came cuz of immigration are different. Maybe I'm ignorant to that. I have no problem hearing what you have to say and change my view on the matter.

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Calling myself Nubian
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is Malcolm X African American?
    Stokely Carmichael?
    Biggie?
    Obama?
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...By my view on it...

Biggie, no.
    Obama, kinda.
    Malcolm, no.
    Stokely, Ion remember that heritage, so I won't comment...
  • Young Stef
    Options
    @A1000Miles He born In Trinidad Port of Spain to be exact immigrated to NYC Harlem to be exact and he died in Guinea in 1998 known as Kwame Ture
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    Then, no...I see no Africa in that ? ...Lol...
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    my comment was directed at @marcusgarvey
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    So why I get a wack then...?...Lol...
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    if you are black you are african no matter the nationality or culture
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

? ! And give credence to Peter McIntosh for that statement
  • StillFaggyAF
    edited November 2013
    Options
    i didn't wack you nh
  • zombie
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Anansi wrote: »

? ! And give credence to Peter McIntosh for that statement

all black people are african prove me otherwise or be silent.
    we are called the african diaspora for a ? reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxm1cU5Ewbw
  • MarcusGarvey
    edited November 2013
    Options

@BlackGerald
    ? gets complicated, I'll fall back. I see your point. I just don't feel a black man that touches down from Grenada tomorrow is all of a sudden an African-American. What history does he have in America? I wouldn't consider his ethnicity to be African American.
  • Rasta.
    Options
    Goated you for giving credence only
  • Rasta.
    Options

@BlackGerald
    ? gets complicated, I'll fall back. I see your point. I just don't feel a black man that touches down from Grenada tomorrow is all of a sudden an African-American. What history does he have in America? I wouldn't consider his ethnicity to be African American.

I agree...same as a Ghanaian touching foot in the USA to be called African-American, makes no absolute sense.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this aint nearly as complex as it appears...
  • UnderMiSensi
    UnderMiSensi Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    It's ? , Africa is a continent and America is a continent. So saying I'm African or American is too broad and isn't really saying ? . Now from my ? features and texture of hair, I obviously have some "African" descent. Now if you want to get specific, I'm an US citizen of the United States of America born in California making me a Californian with ID and birth cert that says so.

So basically @A1000MILES you want us to be proud to be US citizens of a Nation that classified us as 3/5's human, lynched us, bombed black wall street, feed black/african babies to alligators, initiated dehumanizing jim crow laws, treats their first "black" president like he is a random ? etc. You say your an immigrant from Nigeria and speak on how we should feel or call ourselves like you have some authority to. If we can call each other ? then we can call each other Africans too, they are all just ? political terms anyway, I'm trying to make money like other "races" do instead of bickering about terms like a little child. I would get into how stupid "Black" is as a term aswell but ? it I'll let the ignorance rock it'll be less competition for me when I'm reach the top.
  • Rasta.
    Options
    It's ? , Africa is a continent and America is a continent. So saying I'm African or American is too broad and isn't really saying ? . Now from my ? features and texture of hair, I obviously have some "African" descent. Now if you want to get specific, I'm an US citizen of the United States of America born in California making me a Californian with ID and birth cert that says so.

So basically @A1000MILES you want us to be proud to be US citizens of a Nation that classified us as 3/5's human, lynched us, bombed black wall street, feed black/african babies to alligators, initiated dehumanizing jim crow laws, treats their first "black" president like he is a random ? etc. You say your an immigrant from Nigeria and speak on how we should feel or call ourselves like you have some authority to. If we can call each other ? then we can call each other Africans too, they are all just ? political terms anyway, I'm trying to make money like other "races" do instead of bickering about terms like a little child. I would get into how stupid "Black" is as a term aswell but ? it I'll let the ignorance rock it'll be less competition for me when I'm reach the top.

I don't think that's his intent at all brah
  • zombie
    Options
    THE AFRICAN UNION considers so called african americans to be african along with all black people so that should end the debate
  • Rasta.
    Options
    THE AFRICAN UNION considers so called african americans to be african along with all black people so that should end the debate

Negative, as far as i learnt in grade school, only Haiti was a recognize overseas member, it encourages those in the American continent to participate but no where it considers them....