Video: Michael Wilbon on yesterday's PTI speaks on people using & discussing the use of the N-word..

Options

Comments

• Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man the fact that they even talking about this is insane, I mean how ? crazy is it that Michael Wilbon has a 5 year old kid

But until this mythical body that will frame out the proper uses of the word during a discussion during an interdisciplinary cross-functional, conference of well established black linguists and activistists and ordinary street scholars who get together and form this n word council, they don't need to act surprised that people don't know when and when to use it or who can or can't say it
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darius wrote: »
    Man the fact that they even talking about this is insane, I mean how ? crazy is it that Michael Wilbon has a 5 year old kid

Hilarious. Now kick rocks, saltine.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whitlock is seen as a ? by blacks and its funny he not really liked by whites either
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Whitlock is seen as a ? by blacks and its funny he not really liked by whites either

That the thing. All ? are disliked by everyone.

Name a ? . Now, ask yourself, do whites really ride for them?

• white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I don't want white people tellin me I can't use that word or any other word for that matter, but they are right the fact that we call each other ? makes no sense at all.

When I was little I hated it, never used it and didn't allow people to call me that, my grandmother schooled me on our history as a people and what we went through and that shaped the way I viewed that word. But I eventually (and shamefully) caved and allowed myself to be influenced by the people around me and started using it.

That word no matter how it's spelled has too much blood on it
    emtill1.jpg
    lynching.jpg
    lynching.jpg
    800px-Williambrownlynched.jpg

They called us that when we were packed into slave ships, when we were sold like property, when they whipped us, when they ? our women, when they lynched us. For the life of me I can't figure out why Black people started to use the word in the first place.

I'll never tell anyone what they can or can't say , but I can't keep describing myself or my people as ? or ? . I'm convinced it's all apart of the plan to keep us down in a state of confusion and ignorance, the way they hide our history, bombard us with negative imagery of ourselves, how they systematically neutralized and eliminated our leaders, gave us an inferior education and healthcare, disproportionally jail us, and how they try to break up the Black family. And that word is apart of it. We inveted science, art, architecture, math, philosophy, ? we invented civilization but for too many of my people the highest thing to aspire to be is a "real ? ". We are falling right into the trap.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bignorm wrote: »

That the thing. All ? are disliked by everyone.

Name a ? . Now, ask yourself, do whites really ride for them?

Supreme ? Clarence Thomas.. Conservatives love his token ass ...
  • nujerz84
    Options
    The N word was used among blacks folks way before hiphop was using. Especially in comedy stand up and movies in1970's..
  • nujerz84
    Options

Hip hop created in 1973...

Black Belt Jones released in 1974 before any N word was used on a rap record.

http://youtu.be/bthp5UBf0TU
  • nujerz84
    Options
    The Boondocks better touch on this
  • white715
    edited November 2013
    Options
    white715 wrote: »
    I don't want white people tellin me I can't use that word or any other word for that matter, but they are right the fact that we call each other ? makes no sense at all.

When I was little I hated it, never used it and didn't allow people to call me that, my grandmother schooled me on our history as a people and what we went through and that shaped the way I viewed that word. But I eventually (and shamefully) caved and allowed myself to be influenced by the people around me and started using it.

That word no matter how it's spelled has too much blood on it
    emtill1.jpg
    lynching.jpg
    lynching.jpg
    800px-Williambrownlynched.jpg

They called us that when we were packed into slave ships, when we were sold like property, when they whipped us, when they ? our women, when they lynched us. For the life of me I can't figure out why Black people started to use the word in the first place.

I'll never tell anyone what they can or can't say , but I can't keep describing myself or my people as ? or ? . I'm convinced it's all apart of the plan to keep us down in a state of confusion and ignorance, the way they hide our history, bombard us with negative imagery of ourselves, how they systematically neutralized and eliminated our leaders, gave us an inferior education and healthcare, disproportionally jail us, and how they try to break up the Black family. And that word is apart of it. We inveted science, art, architecture, math, philosophy, ? we invented civilization but for too many of my people the highest thing to aspire to be is a "real ? ". We are falling right into the trap.

Can't disagree with none of that. Good post for the most part.

However, the thing I hate most about our generation is that we focus on so many trivial things and ignore the real issues.

The word "? " doesn't bother me as much as the fact that the thought process and brand of ignorance that coined the word still exists. In fact, it's evolved in a way that's almost invisible to the average brother.

Like politicians and fake "black leaders" that ? on hip hop.

It shouldn't bother them that T.I. or LiL Wayne "raps" about drugs, guns, violence, pimpin', etc.

What *should bother them is that all of those things actually exist in our community and existed LONG before the first rap album was ever recorded.

Not saying the word "war" won't bring peace. Not saying the word "AIDS" won't cure disease. Deal with the actual problem and stop wasting time worrying about the "presentation" or mention of the problem.

*shrug*

That all ties into the negative imagery I was referring to, you have young fatherless brothers out here who see their favorite rapper with expensive cars and money and beautiful women and he claims to have gotten those things by being a thug, that has influence on that young brother.

You can't deny the influence rappers have and not just on little kids, Jay-Z came out with that song "Tom Ford' and the next day Tom Ford was one of the most searched phrases on the internet. Entertainers and athletes are trend setters and taste makers. When I was little me and my brother started drinking sprite because of the commercials they had with rappers in it, I wore red shorts and stuck my tongue out when I played basketball because of Michael Jordan. Taqueray, Hennessy, Alize, Ace of ? , Timberland, Air force ones all of these products had spikes in sales once rappers started to reference them in songs.

Of course drugs and crime have been in our communities long before rap came along but now a lot of mainstream rap further pushes that agenda. Companies have been using rap to push their product since the eighties
    http://youtu.be/r9oR2EmU854
    http://youtu.be/JcTyiUa-MGw

You think the powers that be wouldn't use this same tactic to keep us down. This is just another phase of cointelpro.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm pretty sure Isaiah Thomas used that same word when found out he didn't make that Dream Team. Smh.

I can't stand when folks think the "er" & "a" versions are the same, when really they're not.
  • Darius
    Options
    darkone360 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Isaiah Thomas used that same word when found out he didn't make that Dream Team. Smh.

I can't stand when folks think the "er" & "a" versions are the same, when really they're not.

is the "a" version and the "ucca" version the same thing?
  • white715
    Options

It's all the same Black people always drop "er" off of words and substitue it with an "a" it wasn't some clever twist to re-appropriate the word and to change its meaning.

The meaning of the word bigger doesn't change because we simply drop the "er" and make it bigga, it is spelled and pronounced differently but it has the same meaning.
  • Darius
    Options
    white715 wrote: »

It's all the same Black people always drop "er" off of words and substitue it with an "a" it wasn't some clever twist to re-appropriate the word and to change its meaning.

The meaning of the word bigger doesn't change because we simply drop the "er" and make it bigga, it is spelled and pronounced differently but it has the same meaning.

nah i'm prettys sure the meaning only changes when the person who uses the word changes
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my grandmother is 88 and calls me a ? at least once a day; but back to wilbon, he was dead on along with what barkley said too
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They are the same. Don't let them fool you.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is the "? " version and the "nigra" version the same thing?

I heard both on Roots and Mississippi Burning.
  • Darius
    Options

Is the "? " version and the "nigra" version the same thing?

I heard both on Roots and Mississippi Burning.

yes. i believe the "ra" version was also used in 42
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White folks just mad we took that ? over and made it ours, and they can't use it no more without backlash and repercussions.

Like Paul Mooney said... Once we take over, we take over.

No you can't have it back. You can't have basketball and football back either.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Boondocks better touch on this

? would be awesome lol
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The word ? aint even that serious