True Detective (HBO) - TV Series

Options

Comments

• Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^ it seems to be a realistic show. That sketch is going to end up being a mask
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Look, I consider myself a realist, all right? But in philosophical terms, I'm what's called a pessimist. I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution, we became too self aware. Nature made an aspect of nature too separate from itself, we are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, a secretion of sensory experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. I think the honorable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last Midnight. Brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal. I tell myself I bare witness, but the real answer is that it's just my programming and I lack the constitution for suicide."

GOAT writing
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Its crazy how the pilot left so many unanswered questions...

What made Rusty go crazy?
    How did Rusty's daughter die?
    What happened to Martin's marriage and why is he now divorced?
    What caused Martin and Rusty to stop bein friends?
  • deemula420
    deemula420 Members Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From seeing y'all reaction I may have to give this show a look
  • Kellmill
    Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The first episode gave me the same feeling I had when I saw the first episode of The Sopranos which was basically "Wtf? Well I guess wanna see the next episode, I'm intrigued." Next thing you know it turned into the greatest show of all time. I don't think True Detective will quite on that level (no show is) but word to whoever said "a slow grind to a great story"
  • dreadstatah
    dreadstatah Members Posts: 98 ✭✭
    Options
    Damn got brother Mouzone and Laroy as cops on here...lol
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Couldn't sleep just peeped this ? . Dope writing even better acting. If its gonna be a multiple season, different character type show like AHS they're setting the bar pretty high off jump. Loving it though bought to watch the episode again.
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    "Look, I consider myself a realist, all right? But in philosophical terms, I'm what's called a pessimist. I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution, we became too self aware. Nature made an aspect of nature too separate from itself, we are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, a secretion of sensory experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. I think the honorable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last Midnight. Brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal. I tell myself I bare witness, but the real answer is that it's just my programming and I lack the constitution for suicide."

GOAT writing

Yeah that ? right there. I knew after that scene this show is gonna be a classic.

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ill wait a few episodes and then catch on up
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao @ Marty's reaction when Rust said "I don't sleep, I just dream."
  • twentyfivelighters
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Found this to help sum up some of the events:
    1983-1985 - Estimated span Rustin Spencer COHLE moves from Alaska to Texas
    1987 October 11 - Unsolved murder of Stacy Gerhart, 14yo. State-level matter
    1988 - Martin Eric HART meets a healthy Danny Fontenot pitching for LSU
    1989 - Cohle is in Houston, Texas working Robbery. He is promoted/transferred to Narcotics highly likely as a deep cover agent
    1990 - Disappearance of Marie Fontenot, 10yo. Mother has a prior for solicitation
    1994 x - Cats are eviscerated and nailed to ministry door
    1994 October/November - Cohle is transferred from Houston Narcotics to Louisiana CID
    1994 December 14 - Molly Ann Ross is chased thru woods by Green Eared Spaghetti Monster
    1995 January 3 - Dead body of Dora Kelly Lange found, 28yo
    Husband Charlie Lang serving 8y; received nun-and-king call from Dora in his 1st yr
    1995 January 3 - "Look, I consider myself a realist"
    1995 x - Stacy Gerhart murder still unsolved
    1995 x - Danny Fontenot is now partially paralyzed
    1995 x - Dora Lange case is solved with at least one male suspect in custody
    2002 - Martin Hart and Rustin Cohle inaffably split up. Cohle drops "off the grid"
    2005 - Hurricane Rita destroys Dora Lange case files
    2010 - Cohle resurfaces in Louisiana
    2012 x possibly another January - Lake Charles case begins with primary Det. Gilbough & Papania
    2012 April 26 - Interview with Cohle who is employed
    2012 May 1 - Interview with Hart who is now divorced and a private investigator
  • twentyfivelighters
    Options
    Wtf @ the daughters and those dolls
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    The ? on Woody's side piece tho... scrumptious.

And every time these ? in the whip you get a quotable lol.
  • marc123
    edited January 2014
    Options
    episode 2 was very good. I enjoyed it. got damn. Rusty got some serious personal problems.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have no idea wtf is goin on right now.
  • marc123
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    I have no idea wtf is goin on right now.

Odds are the 2 cops never solved the Dora Lang murder. But while in the process of tryin to solve it, it got so dark n twisted it ended up ruining both their lives. While in present day, the case came across the 2 blk cops desk as a 'cold case'. And they are interviewing both old white cops 2 c if anything they say can shed a new light into the case. Plus brother mouzone showed a murder pic at the end of ep 1. So there is copy cat or the real killer is still out there.

• Will Munny
    Options
    Ok cool thanks. But didn't they say they got the killer from the one in 95?
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They catch the killer but someone else commits a similar murder. So it's either a copy cat or they have the wrong guy
  • marc123
    edited January 2014
    Options
    eyes low wrote: »
    They catch the killer but someone else commits a similar murder. So it's either a copy cat or they have the wrong guy
  • twentyfivelighters
    Options
    imma eat her ass bruh

1390426415423_zpsaa3f4d47.gif
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    imma eat her ass bruh

1390426415423_zpsaa3f4d47.gif

I wonder how many times they shot this scene

If it was me I would b goin all out
  • suzyscrew
    suzyscrew Members Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wtf @ the daughters and those dolls

That was crazy. nothing good can come from your daughters simulating ? like that. How would a kid back then even think of that?
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    McConaughey's doing his thing. Rust has the potential to be a GOAT TV character
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rust snatched Maggie's soul with how he ended that phone call.

Rust's last little monologue at the end of this episode was too real as well, just off 3 episodes he's one of the dopest characters I've seen in any show.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    Good ? . Rusty is turning me into a cynical ? . Amazing acting and monologue but watching it is gonna leave me bitter and jaded.