Spinoff: Why wasn't LL Cool J a part of the Self-Destruction video?

deadeye
deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in The Reason
I always wondered about that.

Is there anyone on here who was around back then that remembers why he didn't participate?

Comments

• 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    IDK why LL wan't in Self Destruction

West Coast All-Stars- We're All In The Same Gang Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJD1oDKKMdM

I just wanted to have a reason to post this video

Now your mother's singing that sad song
    (My baby ain't never hurt nobody!)
    But he still got smoked at Bebe's party
    But you're not the first or the last
    You're nothin' but a short story from the past
    You're dead now, not number one but a zero
    Take notes from Eazy-E, the violent hero
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How could he be all about empowerment in self destruction if he was crushin pink cookies in a plastic bag
  • DafuqYo
    DafuqYo Members Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    They didn't have cool j cookies.

ll-o.gif
  • deadeye
    edited November 2013
    9TRAY_93EB wrote: »
    IDK why LL wan't in Self Destruction

West Coast All-Stars- We're All In The Same Gang Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJD1oDKKMdM

I just wanted to have a reason to post this video

Now your mother's singing that sad song
    (My baby ain't never hurt nobody!)
    But he still got smoked at Bebe's party
    But you're not the first or the last
    You're nothin' but a short story from the past
    You're dead now, not number one but a zero
    Take notes from Eazy-E, the violent hero

This was my second idea for a spinoff, but I already know the answer.

I was wondering why Ice Cube wasn't in this, but Dre produced it and the beef with Cube and NWA was still fresh.

? was hilarious because I think this was shot around the same time Above the Law ran Ice Cube and his crew out of the New Music Seminar Hip-Hop festival.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, na sun wat happened was, he showed up for the video shoot, but left when he saw that they forgot the cool j cookies and had oreos for refreshments instead.....
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why wasn't Jay Z there too?
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How could he be all about empowerment in self destruction if he was crushin pink cookies in a plastic bag

That was a dope track. Ahead of his time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m670Cx9savw
  • deadeye
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    Why wasn't Jay Z there too?

He was still hustling I suppose.
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top mainstream ? rarely involve themselves in ? like this that could damage their commercial standing.

Or maybe he didn't give a ? .
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im remember reading bout this. I think he had an album coming out at the time and Def Jam didnt want him to b on no other record til his album dropped.

But it was confirmed that he wrote MC Lytes verse...
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuz kool moe dee was on it.
  • 216atlran
    216atlran Members Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    Man ? these record labels
  • deadeye
    cobbland wrote: »
    KRS-One: Connie Chung’s Harsh Words, LL Cool J’s Disobedience & Retirement
    By Keith Murphy February 8, 2012 11:50 AM

krsone-456-2812.jpg

Did you and the rest of BDP have any idea that you were helping create a new hip-hop genre called gangsta rap with the 1987 release of ‘Criminal Minded’?

We didn’t really look at it like that. ‘Criminal Minded’ was all about exposing the truth. The illusion was that we came out with ‘Criminal Minded’ just to satisfy the street head, but that wasn’t the case. The truth is we were posing as revolutionaries trying to warn our people about the ? ? era and senseless street violence and how we can preserve hip-hop by getting more conscious about it.

But ironically it was senseless violence that took the life of your partner and friend DJ Scott La Rock, who died trying to peacefully settle a beef. Take me back to the summer of 1987 when Scott was gunned down. Did you believe that BDP was finished following such a ground-shaking death?

A lot of people felt that way, including some members of BDP. It was hard on everyone. I remember being interviewed by Connie Chung, who was working for Eyewitness News Channel 4 at the time. And she started out the interview with, “Well, now that your career is over what are you going to do?” So this is what we were going up against. But I knew we had to keep going. I knew Scott was watching over us.

Listen to KRS-One’s ‘Time’s Up’

When did you know your life had changed after the immense success of that first album?

When ‘Criminal Minded’ came out, Lyor Cohen [former head of Island Def Jam and current Warner Music Group CEO], who at the time was running Russell Simmons‘ Rush Artist Management, asked me to sign with him after Scott’s death. He threw me a gig at Madison Square Garden thinking I was going to be impressed. And I was impressed; I appreciated the Garden, but I wasn’t signing with Rush. I was cut from a whole different cloth. It had nothing to do with them.

Looking back, how crazy was it for you, a relative newcomer, turning down the hottest management group in hip-hop at that time?

I wasn’t trying to make a statement. I didn’t need anyone to manage me. I knew they could not hold down an artist like me. So I told Lyor several times, “No, I’m not signing with you guys.” And on top of that, I’m taking shots at the top rappers in the industry who happened to be signed to Rush [laughs]. It was crazy!

There are some great stories connected to the making of the anti-black-on-black violence single ‘Self Destruction.’ When you think back to leading such a monumental all-star project — that featured everyone from the late Heavy D and Kool Moe Dee to MC Lyte and Public Enemy — what comes to mind?

The fact that LL Cool J still showed up to the session even after Def Jam told him not to. Just imagine a triple-platinum artist wanting to show up and be part of a project so bad, but he can’t because of his record company. But again LL still shows up! Can you imagine MC Lyte and LL together writing a verse for ‘Self Destruction’? Lyte was so ? and so much New York female hip-hop. She was battling everybody back then. And she’s in the corner writing with a superstar like LL Cool J and they are trying to figure out how to save our children! If I was a man that cried that was my time to do it.

http://theboombox.com/krs-one-the-bdp-album/

Didn't know Def Jam was responsible for that.

Some things about the situation are still cloudy though.

In particular the fact that PE was on Def Jam and they weren't prevented from participating.

Then again, Run-DMC wasn't part of it either and I don't remember them catching as much heat as LL did for not being in it.

Now, they were signed to Rushtown management, but they weren't on Def Jam.

They were on Profile Records.

Might've had something to do with Moe Dee being on it and LL not wanting to take attention away from the movement by participating.

Meaning, if he did the video, the attention might've focused more on him and Moe Dee than on the message the video was trying to convey.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadeye wrote: »

Didn't know Def Jam was responsible for that.

Some things about the situation are still cloudy though.

In particular the fact that PE was on Def Jam and they weren't prevented from participating.

Then again, Run-DMC wasn't part of it either and I don't remember them catching as much heat as LL did for not being in it.

Now, they were signed to Rushtown management, but they weren't on Def Jam.

They were on Profile Records.

Might've had something to do with Moe Dee being on it and LL not wanting to take attention away from the movement by participating.

Meaning, if he did the video, the attention might've focused more on him and Moe Dee than on the message the video was trying to convey.

the article doesn't say why they didnt let ll cool j do it, it just said they didn't
    there could be many reasons why they let PE do it and not LL
    just cause one kid is grounded doesnt mean all the kids in the house have to be grounded.
  • Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    L.L. wasn't on that black empowerment vibe where as the other artist on that song were black conscious to one degree or another...

he just didn't fit the mold.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its apparent that record companies wanted to profit off of pain and misery off of black America.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    alpo said no???
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But its not the first time for LL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1f703BYfpM

He did the song but wasn't in the video.
  • Jabu_Rule
    bigev240 wrote: »
    But its not the first time for LL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1f703BYfpM

He did the song but wasn't in the video.

SMH. How did i miss this song?
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hated that ? song lol
  • N YO HOOD
    N YO HOOD Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we all in the same game self destruction and heal are there any other ones out there
  • Jabu_Rule
    mc317 wrote: »
    I hated that ? song lol

In all honesty, i thought both were wack. I also wasn't ? with we are the world.