Want to get mad? Watch this video of Richard Dawkins interviewing Wendy Wright

2»

Comments

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill was on some ? when he claimed that religion was basically responsible for every bad thing that has happened. Religion has been used to justify a lot of ? , but blaming it all on Religion is nonsense. For instance, Christianity was invoked to fuel the westward expansion of the U.S., but I doubt anybody is stupid enough to believe that the people in power wouldn't have done the exact same thing with or without religion as a tool.

Thank you! I always cringe when some impusive atheist makes the myopic claim that the world would be so much better and peaceful if religion didn't exist. That's so narrow-minded. That's like saying that the world would be a happier place without guns. I actually think that the world would be a worse and more brutal place without religion and guns. But to think that humans wouldn't just ? each other over somthing other than religion like over politics or green pieces of paper is crazy. And if guns didn't exist, then we'd go back to killing each other with sticks and stones. Religion and guns are clearly not the problem. It's humankind.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Richard Dawkins is one of the realist ? to ever walk the earth
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill was on some ? when he claimed that religion was basically responsible for every bad thing that has happened. Religion has been used to justify a lot of ? , but blaming it all on Religion is nonsense. For instance, Christianity was invoked to fuel the westward expansion of the U.S., but I doubt anybody is stupid enough to believe that the people in power wouldn't have done the exact same thing with or without religion as a tool.

I agree with you, but it doesn't negate his point. People have been using religion for negativity since the beginning of time I think the point he was making was to say that even with the love you insist people believe they are made of they allow themselves to be lead towards hateful acts in the name of the same leader.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you, but it doesn't negate his point. People have been using religion for negativity since the beginning of time I think the point he was making was to say that even with the love you insist people believe they are made of they allow themselves to be lead towards hateful acts in the name of the same leader.

Yes, but the problem is he's taking what appears to be ingrained human faults and flat out saying that religion is the cause of all of them. That's simply not true. Very few of the atrocities attributed to religion are actually because of religion when you really get to the core. Religion is mostly just a tool that has been used to get simpleminded folks to get on board, but more often than not greed, money, and/or fear are what's been behind most of the world's tragedies.
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    I think you just defined what religion has become in a nut shell though fam...gaining followers to enhance your chances at gaining money, power, and imposing fear in the those with smaller numbers. That's why I think its the same point.
  • Jewpac
    Jewpac Members Posts: 267 ✭✭
    I think you just defined what religion has become in a nut shell though fam...gaining followers to enhance your chances at gaining ninety, power, and imposing fear in the those with smaller numbers. That's why I think its the same point.

Basically politics in its entirety.