Why do modern-day Christians totally neglect the Sabbath?

Options
Black Boy King
Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is not Saturday the 7th day of the week?

But they instead choose to worship on SUNday. But they preach that worship of the Sun is Ba'al doctrine?

I suppose this is something that American Christians deal with. Because in Romantic languages, the word for Saturday and Sabbath is the exact same.

If someone can clear this up for me, that would be great. It doesn't seem to me that modern-day Christianity lines up with the Bible. I may be wrong though, if so, enlighten me.

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    you understand this is an entirely pointless worry, right? Saturday is the seventh day of the week because that's the way your calendar frames it. if you have one that runs Monday-Sunday, magically, Sunday is now the seventh day of the week.

the important point is setting aside the seventh day for rest/worship, not fussing over if Saturday or Sunday is the correct day.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The reason why christians worship on sunday is because that is the day that the LORD rose from the dead.

"After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb." Matthew 28:1

"When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus' body." Mark 16:1

"On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb." Luke 24:1

"Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance."
    John 20:1

So the early church, as recorded in the book of Acts, in order to commerate and celebrate Jesus Christ rising from the dead, got together on the 1st day of the week to fellowship and break bread. That tradition has been passed down for the last 2,000 years.

"On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight" Acts 20:7

• Black Boy King
    Options
    @DoUwant2go2Heaven I see. My point here is, why is the Sabbath neglected?

Why do they call Sunday the Sabbath when according to the Scripture you posted, it is the day after the Sabbath?
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The sabbath is Saturday no matter how you want to slice it, Sunday worship is a hangover from the roman church. But Christians are not trapped by any special day
  • REV_RAGE
    REV_RAGE Members Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Check out the "7th day Advents" as the name says. All over west Tennessee where I grew up living.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Judah Back wrote: »

Why do they call Sunday the Sabbath when according to the Scripture you posted, it is the day after the Sabbath?

The sabbath never changed. I believe that the New Testament teaches us that the sabbath is Jesus Christ Himself. The book of Hebrews speaks about it. Read chapter 4 and let me know what the Holy Spirit is revealing to you.

Jesus Christ also tells anybody and everybody to come unto Him and He will give us rest. The rest that was reserved for 1 day in the OT is now ultimately fulfilled in entering into the finished work of Christ. Now we rest in Him because He finished the work. All that is left for us to do as believers is to trust and believe.

But there is nothing wrong with keeping the Sabbath. I know people who do and I know people who don't. But like I said earlier, the true sabbath is Jesus Christ. He came to give His people rest! Hallelujah!

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
    Matthew 11:28-30
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options

The sabbath never changed. I believe that the New Testament teaches us that the sabbath is Jesus Christ Himself. The book of Hebrews speaks about it. Read chapter 4 and let me know what the Holy Spirit is revealing to you.

Jesus Christ also tells anybody and everybody to come unto Him and He will give us rest. The rest that was reserved for 1 day in the OT is now ultimately fulfilled in entering into the finished work of Christ. Now we rest in Him because He finished the work. All that is left for us to do as believers is to trust and believe.

But there is nothing wrong with keeping the Sabbath. I know people who do and I know people who don't. But like I said earlier, the true sabbath is Jesus Christ. He came to give His people rest! Hallelujah!

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
    Matthew 11:28-30

To add to that Jesus worked on the Sabbath day according to Hebrew law and was questioned but also Jesus established new rules when He came and went.The old testament consisted of laws that applied to the Hebrews but through Jesus and new covenant was written. Some Christians still take off on the sabbath day but we don't follow some of the hebrew laws for that reason.

Mark 3 - Jesus Heals on the Sabbath

3 Another time Jesus went into the synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there. 2 Some of them were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal him on the Sabbath. 3 Jesus said to the man with the shriveled hand, “Stand up in front of everyone.”

4 Then Jesus asked them, “Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to ? ?” But they remained silent.

5 He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored. 6 Then the Pharisees went out and began to plot with the Herodians how they might ? Jesus.

So for that very reason, we look at the sabbath as it applies to the old testament in which Jesus broke a new covenant.
  • KingTut23
    KingTut23 Members Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    Options
    cause they dont understand their own religion
  • beenwize
    beenwize Members Posts: 2,024 ✭✭
    Options
    Sabbath is Saturday aka Saturn day
  • beenwize
    Options
    Saturday is the official day of rest in Israel, on which all government offices and most businesses, including some public transportation, are closed.

Saturday is associated with Saturn and Saturn.is associated with Satan. According to the New Testament the jews are the Synagogue of Satan.
  • Sour-Cream
    Options
    beenwize wrote: »
    Saturday is the official day of rest in Israel, on which all government offices and most businesses, including some public transportation, are closed.

Saturday is associated with Saturn and Saturn.is associated with Satan. According to the New Testament the jews are the Synagogue of Satan.

Ole devil worshipping ass ? , gtfoh with that logic, lol.
  • beenwize
    Options

The difference between me and you is you do ritualistic worship based upon a book given to you. i dont. lol so yeah you worship the devil v
  • beenwize
    Options
    Your book is published by jews.
  • Black Boy King
    Options
    Please dont respond to this guy in the post above this one. Trolls need to be fed to survive.
  • Black Boy King
    Options
    KingTut23 wrote: »
    cause they dont understand their own religion

I know my brothers are gonna look at me sideways because of this but this is partially true.

While I understand what @DoU and @Southpaw said, it still does not disprove the fact that most Christians believe Sunday is the Sabbath.

• Sour-Cream
    Options
    The only constant we believe is that Jesus is Lord, all else falls into alignment. Sabbath is Saturday but since we know Christ healed on the Sabbath, we're not as strict on it as traditional Hebrews.
  • Black Boy King
    Options
    Smh, this whole time I thought Christ referenced the 10 Commandments in full when he spake to the rich man. But He left a few out... The wording of this Scripture seems to make it clear He did it purposely.

Matthew 19:17-19 KJV

And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, ? : but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Thank ? for His Son and His ministry! Its clear now.
  • beenwize
    Options
    Please dont respond to this guy in the post above this one. Trolls need to be fed to survive.

this unlearned ? highlights the SUN in SUNday, but downplays SATURN in SATURday.

• beenwize
    Options
    This ? saying mexicans are israelites while they have their own land and not left few in number.
  • Sour-Cream
    Options

The difference between me and you is you do ritualistic worship based upon a book given to you. i dont. lol so yeah you worship the devil v

? .
  • Sour-Cream
    Options
    This ? saying mexicans are israelites while they have their own land and not left few in number.

Na ? , he's saying that Israelites split off into different cultures. Tribes were trying to build a ladder to heaven and ? sent them off into different tribes and had them speaking different languages. The only thing I disagree with him on is that technicallythe mexicans are descendents of native Americans that split off into the Aztecs, Incas and Mayans. The native Americans are descendents of the olmecs and the olmecs are descendents of Africans. The Asians are descendents of the haung dynasty and the Huang dynasty are descendents of Africans. There were only two cultures. Some had straight hair and some had nappy hair. Different culture climates affected different people like a polar bear in antartica. A polar bear is naturally black but the climate makes it's image white. A dark to mid complexion black person naturally gets lighter in cooler climates. The first settlers were mid to dark skin. Northern Hebrews had straighter hair and Israelites were lighter and had straighter hair than Egyptians.
  • Sour-Cream
    Options
    The only constant we believe is that Jesus is Lord, all else falls into alignment. Sabbath is Saturday but since we know Christ healed on the Sabbath, we're not as strict on it as traditional Hebrews.

Also if you read the bible, ? does say in revelation, he will give Jews a second chance to confess Christ as their personal Lord and Savior since they were originally who he made his promise through. He still protects Israel and since Jews give tithes and offering, a majority of them are financially blessed. They are fully protected though, blacks (the original people) and Hebrews suffered the most persecution. Christians don't look down on Jews, we admire them though they make fun of us.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If only "? " would just clear up the ? confusion..

• Sour-Cream
    Options
    They got this dude on TV that's a Hebrew Christian and refers to Jesus by his Hebrew name Yeshua while confessing him as ? , he does practice the Sabbath day, eat kosher food, etc... so theirs a minor difference between Hebrew Christians and Christians.
  • Sour-Cream
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    If only "? " would just clear up the ? confusion..

Word, I'm still reading ? trying to figure it out. I wish there was no tree of knowledge and I just knew ? .
This discussion has been closed.