What Happened to Monty Brown?

He turned into Big E Langston
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monty brown and Ron killings shoulda had better runs in TNA

They were used like piper against hogan for Jeff jarrett
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea, but at least my guy truth had the strap in tna, smh @ him as a face wwe
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When Ron Killings was champion, he was actually the champion of the entire NWA. He was actually the first black Heavyweight Champion of the NWA. TNA was a promotion that operated under the NWA. TNA rented the NWA belt to use for their shows and had to get permission to make title changes from the NWA championship committee so they wouldn't mess up the lineage.

Then TNA broke away from the NWA when the NWA filed suit to snatch the belt away because TNA was taking liberties with the title and not asking for permission to make changes.

The first TNA champion is actually Kurt Angle. By that time, Killings was gone from the company.

Monty Brown left TNA because Jeff Jarrett killed his push by going over on him when he was the hottest thing in the company. He took the money deal from WWE because of the opportunity for more exposure and the launch of the new "ECW" show.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the cluster ? over the lineage. TNA had outgrown the NWA and really that's always been the problem of the NWA, they have been a perpetual stepping stone for other promotions for damn near 70 years.

Monty Brown was cool in TNA. I didn't think much of him because I didn't get the gimmick and to an extent I still don't. Like was he supposed to be like a Earnie Ladd "the big cat" or what? Somebody more familiar with he product when he was at his peak should fill me in.

I did notice that he was very over at one point then they did the #1 contender match with Christian and Monty lost, that was kind of the last big thing I remember him doing.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    jono wrote: »
    I remember the cluster ? over the lineage. TNA had outgrown the NWA and really that's always been the problem of the NWA, they have been a perpetual stepping stone for other promotions for damn near 70 years.

Monty Brown was cool in TNA. I didn't think much of him because I didn't get the gimmick and to an extent I still don't. Like was he supposed to be like a Earnie Ladd "the big cat" or what? Somebody more familiar with he product when he was at his peak should fill me in.

I did notice that he was very over at one point then they did the #1 contender match with Christian and Monty lost, that was kind of the last big thing I remember him doing.

You're pretty much spot on with what happened.

He was sorta a Brock Lesnar type mixed with the Rock mixed with Ahmed Johnson who acted like a tiger in the ring sorta. he was still finding himself. i dont think he even wrestled5 years by the time he left TNA.

his match vs Abyss form TNA Turning Point 2004 always sticks out to me for Monty
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8qzGf4tcyk

always thought he had a better "spear" than even Goldberg due to how he set it up and how people would sell it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUrdz66-NeY

I wouldnt be surprised if someone steals lit. Probably Big E cuz he's black and sorta looks like him.
  • Mally_G
    edited December 2013
    yall are right about he was still finding himself as a persona. but the wrestling community was taking a liking to him because he had the charisma of a Rock-like character. He could promo his ass off and toss in some smart ass insults, just like Rock, which is what caught most people attention.

His in-ring ability was still developing, but enough to get him over in TNA. With the combination of his promo and a good/powerful moveset, he was poised to be the next champion.

He got his shot against Jeff Jarrett went down the drain when Jarrett put himself over Monty with several guitar shots and help from his "militia" >>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L68oEdskh6Q

After this, TNA/JJ (since he was a booker) had Monty turn heel and join him as a partner, to 1) eliminate a potential opponent by having him on his side, 2) combat Sting, 3) combat the newly signed Christian.

Monty went from top contender to lackey in a series of moves that stunted his character. Even JJ promised him the next title shot, even though they were allies, and he somehow got caught up in a match with Christian where that spot was up for grabs, and lost. It was a series of "dumb fool" angles where Monty would be promised title shots and lose them to someone else because they came from the WWE or was the newest signed Free Agent. At this point, Monty is out of the picture as a threat to the title until Christian wins the belt and TNA moved to SpikeTV.

The move to SpikeTV helped Monty gain some momentum because they used his NY Giants background as a selling point to get folks to watch a former NFL player go for the wrestling title.
    <<There's 3 parts to this match>>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVne3IauLNU

After Christian went over on him, that was the last ditch effort TNA put into pushing Monty because his contract was up and he was such a potential, the WWE snatched him up for more money.

Then he had that family issue and never returned to the ring.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great rundown

TNA really soured me as a fan when they did that.
    This guy is a legit threat to the title and they jus turn him into a lackey for no reason

It made no sense from a real world perspective or a kayfabe perspective
  • Mally_G
    That's always been a gripe of mine with TNA is that they always put the ex-WWE castaway over their own homegrown talent.

That's why no one saw TNA as anything but a safe haven for ex-WWE/ECW/WCW wrestlers to go before they patch up their relationship with WWE and go back. TNA has always cheapened their own talent for the sake of making the short term acquisition look good, and pay them more, at that.

If they continue this "tactic" to attract viewers, which hasn't worked for almost 10 years, they will always be seen as WWE Smackdown Lite, not even RAW Lite.

Then when their own talent has a money deal waiting for them from WWE, they always scratch their heads as to why they couldn't keep them. Plus, TNA won't even allow their own talent to make extra cash by working indie shows. TNA business ethics are all screwed up....