wowwww, Newt Gingrich ETHERed these racists attacking Mandela..."WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE?"

Options
2»

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Gingrich is not my cup of tea, but he is correct on this point.
    As soon as he found a nonviolent means he went back to that, so how can anyone that's never been in that position beef with him or what he stood for?
    well, it's possible that's not what their beefs with Mandela are. but let's be honest: there's no reason people can't be honest about the negative aspects of Mandela or any other historical figure. having marks against you doesn't make you a 100% terrible person; doing excellent stuff doesn't absolve you of all your sins. it goes the opposite way in a lot of conversations about Founding Fathers, for example.

I'm not saying that Mandela is above criticism, and I don't think that the wrong he is guilty of overrides all the right. I'm just saying that I don't believe he's evil just because he advocated for violence. Sometimes violence is necessary or at the very least there are sometimes where it reasonably seems like the best option.

Exactly and everything he did is nothing compared to the Trojan horses the apartheid govt used to ride around in (and massacre kids with)
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    I'm not saying that Mandela is above criticism, and I don't think that the wrong he is guilty of overrides all the right. I'm just saying that I don't believe he's evil just because he advocated for violence.
    oh, no, i agree. i mean... i think that's what i'm saying above? but you can fairly dislike Mandela IF you're, say, strictly opposed to violence.
    LOL ETHER yes you're 100% right. This I should know, especially after watching 12 Years a Slave (movie of the year by FAR, one of the top 5 greatest films I've ever watched) and also reading the book
    to be honest, i really just thought you were doing the crazy hyperbole thing anyway

ps. i was told to add that film to my list of "films to watch to make you want to punch white people" but i didn't actually see it. heard good stuff, though

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    LOL well I've seen it and plan on buying the movie on DVD as soon as it hits stores but I haven't punched any White people.

The movie shows clear cut the extreme evil of slavery and the damage it did to children and adults, but I remember too that the particular slave the movie and book is about (Solomon Northrup) was actually freed with the help of several Whites, so not all Whites look bad in the movie. It's definitely worth watching but you may have a nightmare or two after watching it. I know I did....if you have kids though don't bring them. They may end up participating in the knockout game
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Violence is only cool when the oppressors have their neck on the throat of the oppressed

any sort of resistance is "radical" and is met with violence regardless

• mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shut up ? George Joannides