49ers will have no more thurs or mon night home games due to parking (fail)

Options
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Lack-of-parking-will-block-in-49ers-on-weeknight-5047223.php

628x471.jpg

(12-09) 15:04 PST SANTA CLARA -- A lack of game-night parking has the 49ers putting the brakes on high-profile "Monday Night Football" games at their new, billion-dollar stadium in Santa Clara.

The Niners have always counted on neighboring businesses and other outfits to provide 21,000 parking spaces on game days for fans at Levi's Stadium.

That will work fine on Sundays, when no one's toiling away at those businesses. It will be a different story, however, if 68,500 fans converge for a 5:30 p.m. kickoff and all those lots are full of employees' cars.

The upshot: No Monday night (or Thursday night) football for the team's inaugural season in Santa Clara next year, and maybe not after that, either.

It's a busy area. We are still formulating all of our parking," said Santa Clara City Councilwoman Lisa Gillmor, who also sits on the stadium authority.

The 49ers haven't said much about the issue, beyond telling reporters they want to spend the first year "fine-tuning" traffic flow before trying to start a game during rush hour. "It's an ongoing process," said team spokesman Bob Lange.

Santa Clara officials, however, tell us traffic flow isn't the problem - it's what to do with the cars when they get there.

Gillmor said the 49ers have approached businesses about changing employees' hours on game days in order to clear the parking lots. "We are going to have to do some creative work with our local employers," she said.

The early returns, however, aren't encouraging. For example, nearby Mission Community College has tentatively agreed to rent the team 2,200 spaces on Sundays, but not on Mondays or Thursdays.

"That would be very difficult for our students," said Ed Maduli, vice chancellor of the West Valley-Mission Community College District.

There will be one weeknight game next year at the stadium, but the Niners won't be playing in it. Instead, the home team will be the Cal Bears who, oddly enough, scheduled the Friday night contest against the Oregon Ducks in Santa Clara because of their own parking issues in Berkeley.

According to UC Berkeley spokesman Herb Benenson, the Friday night game that Cal played against the Washington Huskies in November 2012 at Memorial Stadium was a logistical nightmare. Fans flocked to the stadium - which has no parking lot of its own - while the campus was full of faculty members and their cars. That left 5,000 season ticket holders without the spots they typically claim for Saturday games.

Santa Clara officials tell us the hope is that many Cal students will take buses that the university is providing to the Oct. 24 game at Levi's Stadium, easing the demand for parking.

It should be an interesting test case.

Comments

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    RaySwift wrote: »
    Shouldnt this been discussed before giving the green light to start constructing the stadium?

completely agree but with many of these projects they tend to overlook major flaws like this to get the stadium up ASAP because one question like this could have halted the project months to a year and cost them a superbowl. these planning committees and front offices stay pushing through these stadiums as quick as possible for superbowls and for retractable roof stadiums final fours and other showcases.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, imagine all the messican stabbings that they'll miss out on. Smh.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    think about this too. every thursday night game on a short week or monday night game leading up to a short week the 49ers will have to fly out to a road opponent which many veteran/injured players had complained about the most is being on the road before or after a short week.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like a win for them.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought every team was required to play a Thursday night game?
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    HustleMob wrote: »
    I thought every team was required to play a Thursday night game?

yeah but they will play it on the road every year which is why it is going to hurt the team on short weeks to have to fly out every year at least once

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »

not really its an L. travel wise it will suck for the players. for the fans it will be an L because if you take friday off or tuesday off you can get cheaper tickets to a monday night game due to the demand which many people do. and when the super bowl comes into town it will cost the 49ers more $$ to secure other businesses lots to secure extra spaces for media trailers and performance trucks the weekend of the super bowl.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? , Candlesticks parking is ass cheeks also! They will figure something out though because it's too much money to be made not to
  • eastbay510
    eastbay510 Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They need to get Bart (bay area's subway system) running out to Santa Clara.

I always hated parking at Candlestick too took an hour or more just to get away from the stadium on a Monday night game.

They should be able to showcase the new stadium on some nationally televised games. But yeah this is a fail if they can't figure something out, I'm sure they will eventually.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    I've really never seen a major arena or stadium with good parking. It's either hella difficult and/or hella expensive.

For years Braves fans were gettin' ripped off by Crackheads selling parking space that wasn't even theirs to sell. lol.

And they think that ? won't happen in Cobb county -- shiiiiiiit. Fiends know no boundaries.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    O.G. wrote: »

not really its an L. travel wise it will suck for the players. for the fans it will be an L because if you take friday off or tuesday off you can get cheaper tickets to a monday night game due to the demand which many people do. and when the super bowl comes into town it will cost the 49ers more $$ to secure other businesses lots to secure extra spaces for media trailers and performance trucks the weekend of the super bowl.

You are right. I made that post on my phone and could not edit it. As soon as I posted it I realized that it was mandatory now to play them wack ass thursday night games. I never even considered the other points you made.
  • txboi_09
    txboi_09 Members Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like a great opportunity for small business owners to sell their property at a ? price to the 49ers.
  • greenwood1921
    edited December 2013
    Options
    txboi_09 wrote: »
    Sounds like a great opportunity for small business owners to sell their property at a ? price to the 49ers.

Read my mind. But I'm sure that whole area for the next 20 miles in every direction is bought up since it took them a couple years to build and it was planned several years ago.

Somebody bout to come up tho.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    build the parking lot somewhere else close and buss fans to the stadium or try and build a whole bunch of parking garages.

their fault for trying to rush
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ? type smart dumb ? didn't plan for parking....build some lots & charge folks.....that's where owners make a lot of their bread
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    The ? type smart dumb ? didn't plan for parking....build some lots & charge folks.....that's where owners make a lot of their bread

I know a man that's worth 8 figures just off parking complexes in one city. Nothing else. Said it's almost no real overhead after you build. Just money on top of money.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    I've really never seen a major arena or stadium with good parking. It's either hella difficult and/or hella expensive.

For years Braves fans were gettin' ripped off by Crackheads selling parking space that wasn't even theirs to sell. lol.

And they think that ? won't happen in Cobb county -- shiiiiiiit. Fiends know no boundaries.

lol i went to turner when i was visting fam in town parking was easy as ? . Parked in that lot where fulton country used to be couldn't been more than 30K in the crowd and smoltz was pitching but then again it was a weekday game.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited December 2013
    Options
    im telling you ? tho the niners knew damn well about the parking situation but prolly tried to keep it on the dl just to push this ? through. These sports franchises be hustling cities to make a new stadium sound good then they build that ? they realize hella problems but its too late.
  • greenwood1921
    Options

lol i went to turner when i was visting fam in town parking was easy as ? . Parked in that lot where fulton country used to be couldn't been more than 30K in the crowd and smoltz was pitching but then again it was a weekday game.

Baseball game in the middle of the week is always easy. Try a marquee game on the weekend or Memorial Day or some ? . And parking in general ain't hard in ATL. But parking just anywhere ain't always smart.

The MARTA (atl subway) has a system just for people to park and ride to braves games and if you on the train during a before or after a braves game it's standing room only.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

Baseball game in the middle of the week is always easy. Try a marquee game on the weekend or Memorial Day or some ? . And parking in general ain't hard in ATL. But parking just anywhere ain't always smart.

The MARTA (atl subway) has a system just for people to park and ride to braves games and if you on the train during a before or after a braves game it's standing room only.

be interesting to see how long that new stadium lasts in the burbs if that ? really breaks ground and gets built
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    It'll get built. Crackas been trying to get the Braves and/or the Falcons out of the city for years.

The "Gwinnett Braves" minor league team started as a plan to move the braves to Gwinnett. They even started breaking ground before anybody in the Braves organization or MLB said they were the least bit interested.

They got the "affiliate" label and that's it.
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Theres a few holidays they can play on, but yea parkings gonna be a nice come up around the stadium
  • malik08
    malik08 Members Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Options
    Let them play on thanksgiving!!