Allen Iverson vs. Michael Jordan: Who had the bigger influence on basketball?

Options

Comments

• THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Jordan

I don't fully agree wit Chris but I see where he's comin from. AI had a huge influence on basketball, he was like everybody's favorite player and everybody wanted to be like him for a time. Its probably closer than you think.

Cosign these dudes just posting to get reactions. Maybe he was so big to me because I only chill with my people (by choice) and AI was THE NBA player for us. When he bopped the ? out of Jordan, it was the passing of the torch lol.
    Say what?

What influence did AI have though?

Crossover? Tim Hardaway
    Attitude? Bad Boys
    Scoring PG? .......

Braids? That's just about it

Sneakers......

Js>>>>>>>>

-Black people are developing our own culture, which translates to our own point of views. A lot of us would choose AI over Jordan. Just like most of us will choose Nas over Tupac or JayZ. White amerikkka is the one that pushes Jordan, JayZ, and Pac so hard. .. Some may say different, because they're afraid of the backlash, but they have to be willing to stand on their own and not buckle under the groupthink pressure that the masses push on everyone. We're individuals and AI represented that. With that said, I'll take AI over Jordan ANY DAY OF THE WEEK and not think twice.

-TH's crossover is some "better basketball" ? , don't nobody use that ? . AI's made it mainstream and his ? was simple, yet crazy effective. It was so effective that they started saying it was all of sudden carrying the ball. Probably because he embarrassed the ? out of Jordan with it, and was impossible to guard with that ? .

-His attitude wasn't on no bad boy ? , it was on some I'm going to do me and do it my way ? . That's huge for someone of his status. Nowadays all you have is PC subliminal ? .

? Nah.

I was born in 80.... to say that Ivo influenced the actual GAME more than Mike did is complete foolishness. ? talkin about a crossover when Mike never lost in the finals. ? tried to do everything Mike did ON the court and the one who did it best is Kobe Bryant.

F.O.H

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    AI is remembered for alot of things. Being undersized, the ability to put a team on his back, his fiestyness, his dribbling skills, etc... but being remembered for something isn't influence. being immoratized in a crossover gif isn't influence. Jadakiss claiming they had to put a zone in the league to stop him isn't influence because its a lie.

iverson is remembered more for his negative influence than any other influence that he had. the "AI generation" is directly linked to the discussion about the decline of the NBA
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AI inspired a bunch of ? to dribble the ball too ? much and not pass the ball then go up for ? layups
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    Beta wrote: »
    AI inspired a bunch of ? to dribble the ball too ? much and not pass the ball then go up for ? layups

yeah i remember when he said that he played points guard not passing guard
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

The combination of AI being as big as he was plus the And 1 mixtapes blowing up at the same time has done serious damage to the actual game of basketball. Like I said before AI was a great player and I loved watching him play but he's part of the reason people think going 8-29 shooting= taking over the game.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    So ? will pick AI over MJ for their team?

6 rings against no rings

AI influenced players to not go to practice
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not even close

AI is a distant second
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    AI Responsible influenced this ?

http://youtu.be/U7cMsqU_64o
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Nike

Jordan he brought casuals in based off of this presence in marketability in a time where other athletes did that same thing.. Bo.. Gretzky. Mike Tyson when Jordan retired alot of these people stop watching for better or worse..

Ai influenced a subculture it was more about his image and style than anything.. i mean it was about jordans image and style also but Jordan affected on a macro level

Now as far as Basketball players you cant really quantify that but you can blame... or thank Ai along with marbury and francis for the type of pgs we see now.. the kyries/roses/ who have a SG mindset but are too short to be the prototype sg and with jordan his presence is unshakeable in the mindseye of the nba media for better or worse "Jordanesque"
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Allen Iverson
    Say what?

You just killed your own argument. Players are still doing the "better basketball" crossover til this day. Nobody is on any basketball court in America saying,"watch me do the AI right quick." They did it for a few years a decade ago. You'll still see players jumping from the free throw line to dunk. Players mimic MJs fadeaway as well. Js sneakers are still $150. AI's? Not so much

Your right....players don't have AI's attitude anymore. So where's the influence? And black folks got just as much love for MJ as they do AI. I personally think we ? with Jordan more.

-Bruh who does the TH crossover? While Lillard, Kyrie, Chris Paul, Westbrook, Rose, Rondo, Kobe, Wade, Francis, Starbury, Wall etc. all bit off of AI's handles. TH's ? was in the pocket and all about speed, AI would extend the ? to one side slow enough can so you follow and when you move bring it back real quick just to set you up for another crossover. In other words, all of these young ? follow AI's blueprint.

-The FT line dunk was Dr.J not Jordan. Actually before Jordan there was Dr.J and Oscar and them. Jordan was influenced by them, the same way AI was influenced by Jordan.

-Very few ? try to be Jordan anymore. The game stays the same, the names change. You must be hooping with the old ? . It's all about Kobe, Lebron, Dirk style ? , some Durant and little ? that think they're AI.

-The sneakers is business ? , nothing else. Don't nobody ? with self hating Jordan on a personal level. AI all day every day. Jordan be on some no ? ? , ? ? , get money ? . AI represents the people. Jordan represents every other ? that made it and turned his back on his people.

T. Sanford wrote: »
    So ? will pick AI over MJ for their team?

6 rings against no rings

AI influenced players to not go to practice

What about the other 14 players on the roster and the coaching staff? Basketball is a team sport dunny. This ain't boxing or tennis.
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    AI Responsible influenced this ?

http://youtu.be/U7cMsqU_64o

Nah that's HotSauce and them ? . AI was fundamentally sound. He could shoot from anywhere on the court with ease. He could use both hands, he could pass the ball extremely well, he was able to read the passing lanes and he knew when to take over and when to play team ball.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AI did have a big influence on the NBA as basically the poster child for the new breed of players. I mean we have to thank him and the era he helped usher in for the fact that players aren't wearing them short shorts anymore. However, his influence doesn't compare to Jordan's. When Jordan left, the NBA basically made a mad scramble to find the "Next Jordan." When AI left, the NBA barely gave a ? .
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Nah jordan did that with the shorts

You know why ? wore sleeves head bands durags and fitted at the same time

AI
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Allen Iverson
    Why are y'all bringing up business ? ? Business means white people. They don't count on any level when discussing ? like this. All they did was use Jordan to push their brand. He was a puppet and nothing else.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread is good for laughss lol
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    You want to see where AI influenced the most...in players doing silly looking ? like this clippers.jpg
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Lol why do Elton and Lamar look like photoshops
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Business means white?
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who decided it would look cool for them to wear each other's jerseys? Lol
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    michaeljordan.jpg

say what?
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this is a problem with younger generations... your favorite ≠ most influential or best to ever do it...
    numbers never lie... check the stats... any stats...
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

The combination of AI being as big as he was plus the And 1 mixtapes blowing up at the same time has done serious damage to the actual game of basketball. Like I said before AI was a great player and I loved watching him play but he's part of the reason people think going 8-29 shooting= taking over the game.

word, got ? thinking someone who is efficient as hell but misses the last shot or makes the right play is a ? lol
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    Again ? picking AI over MJ for their team now?
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    Again ? picking AI over MJ for their team now?

http://youtu.be/51vKrAgoSGM

^ nothingbuttruth pulling a Charles Barkley
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread is good for laughss lol

aint get no copy nd past worthy quotes yet, but its comin lls
This discussion has been closed.